Things to do in Cochin

Discussion in 'Cochin' started by Sruthu, May 7, 2008.

1. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

Thanks very much Varloo.Good on you for suggesting so many attractions.With yours and Jess' reply Im getting an idea how to spend my time.Im quite excited reading about the cruise,the fishing nets and waterfalls from your post and waiting to visit them.Im a vegetarian too so cant enjoy the seafood as much.
    Will be in ernakulam June,July ,August.Its the rainy season then and i know it rains quite heavily in Kerala.I hope and pray my plans dont change too much because of that.

cheers,

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Sruthu,
    you could watch the rains and enjoy well, we love to do that and also like to get drenched. Do you know that Mallus usually get drenched in the first rain of the season so that they don't get any disease during the rainly season? And if you happen to be near a waterfront when it srats to rain, you can see the rain approaching from a distance- you will see that it is raining at some distance and it would come to where you are standing. Once we were on a Giant Wheel on the Marine Drive and it got stuck for some time. We were enjoying the beauty of the backwaters and suddenly it started to rain like I explained. It was so thrilling you know. I do wish you get a chance to see that.
    You could also plan a trip to Allepy or Alapuzha as it is called now and rent a house boat for a day or two. They take you cruising for the 2 days along the inner parts where you could see houses and life in that area. Like in Kashmir but this would be real day to day life.They cook you the food you want on the boat itself. Just imagine cruising on a boat, on the deck, reading a book and suddenly rain coming, oh do try to enjoy that too.
    You could also go to Trivandrum for a few days, visit Kanyakumari from there. You ask me anything in this regard, I am from Trivandrum and my brother lived in Ernakulam till a year back. I usually spend my summer there.

3. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

hi again Varloo,
    I have been on the houseboat at Alapuzha a few years back.It was an enjoyable experience for me and my husband.Like you said it was raining quite heavily at that time and it was fun.My in laws are from Tvm so I will be visting Tvm as well.
    It must have been an amazing experience to be on the giant wheel when it was raining.I can imagine how it would have been.
    I did not know that its the norm to get drenched in the first rain.
    I will be travelling with my 3 month old daughter,so im planning only day trips.Its the mosquitoes that concern me because of my daughter.I have to travel during this time though.
    I appreciate this site and its members.All of you are so friendly and helpful.Its a pleasure to be one among you.
    Cheers,Sruthi

4. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi Sruthu,

Places Varloo has suggested are very good. We absolutely loved the Jewish street and the ferry rides. The chinese fishing nets in fort cochi is a great sight and a walk around that area takes you back to colonial period. Another good place is cherai beach. Have fun.

Cheers,

Sumathy

5. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Sruthu,

do not forget to visit the vimlalayam convent...it is run by ladies and famous for its coir products and hand embroidery.

If you like you can enjoy one of the traditional dance forms of kerala i.e Kathakali. Around BTH area there is some place where they have these performances.

Taj malabar at Island serves good chinese food. Tandoor is good for north indian food. I think Bimbis serves chaats. Taj residency at marine drave has a good cake counter.

There are a couple of small joints on MG road which serve typical south indian thali.

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Sruthu,
    there is a good hotel called Sri Krishna Inn, just behind the Dwaraka Hotel. It is a very nice place to eat too, veg only.
    There is the Durban Hall just behind the Ernakulathappam Temple, it is a car park also. There is an open auditorium and the ground is grassy. They have planted beautiful hibiscus plants and this is a very ideal place to take the baby. People come with their children and the sight and sound of the children playing is just wonderful. The ground is open till 9. My son used to be there from 5 to 9, playing with total strangers. It is quite safe there. Your baby will love to see other children running and playing.
    Also I would suggest that you take good precaution for the baby. Usually there is an out break of rat fever during the rainy season. Mallus used to be very clean but now you can see piles of garbage strewn even on the main roads. The drains are cleaned and the residue is left on the road itself.I write this because you have an infant with you.
    Visit Karalkada in Vanchiyoor, Trivandrum for some nice handloom and cotton dress materials, kasavu materials and other home furnishings etc. Their collections is so elegant.They have good towel caps and other towelling materials also.
    Oh, I do miss Ernakulam much. Next year may be I shall visit.
    Have a nice time and enjoy yourself.

7. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

Thank u Sumathy,Roopadadia and Varloo for your help.Will let you know what places I visited and enjoyed.have a good weekend.
    thank you Varloo for letting me know about the ratfever.Will be careful and take necessary precautions.Pardon my ignorance, but what is towel caps?
    im quite fond of handloom materials and so would surely visit karalkada and Vimalalayam convent
    Cheers,

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Towel cap is a stitched terry thing to cover your head and hair after a wash. It has a loop and a large button to hold it on the head well. Please ask for it and you will find its use.

9. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

thanks for that info Varloo.It will be quite a helpful thing if it holds onto the head well after a wash.I will surely buy this.Thanks.Btw,I read your posts on baby feeding(starting solids) and found them helpful for me too.
    Varloo,I appreciate your helpful nature.
    Cheers,

10. satyaa

satyaa New IL'ite

hi Roopadadi,
    I live in cochin but never knew about vimalalyam. Could you say more about it. like the products they make. Is it an orphanage, a home or something like that.