Things to buy from USA for me/future kid before going to India for delivery?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by oleenam, Jan 5, 2012.

1. oleenam

oleenam Junior IL'ite

Hi all
    I am planning to go to India for delivery next month..Is there any particular item that I should buy from US ( not so available in India) for pregnancy care/ postpartum care or for future kid?..I have a plan to buy thermometer,bloodpressure monitor etc..Is there anything else that you found must have?..

should I buy nipple cream from here?Then which brand?

2. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Hi... just to know why you are planning your delivery in india? when you have much better options in US? mainly citizenship for the child?

3. oleenam

oleenam Junior IL'ite

@amunique
    We are not much concerned about citizenship as we dont have a plan to settle here..I am going because I will get more help from there.I have hard time to eat anything.Vomit a lot,lost weight..Since its very cold here(snowing)I cant even go out.That makes me so depressed.. Our insurance doesnt cover that much compared to cost in India..
    Moreover I hate to be here where there is only loneliness and utter silence.. Elders say one should be happy during pregnancy otherwise it effects baby's nature too...I believe I will be more comfortable and relaxed in India..Overall so many reasons..

I know US has more facilities inspite of citizenship..But if I stay here I will feel like bird in golden cage lol..

1 person likes this.
  4. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Hmm thats bad... yes ofcourse you have every right to enjoy your pregnancy, this period is special to you... take care

5. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Hi Oleenam

congrats on your pregancy .Thinga that you can get are the

1.Dr brown's bottles ( its very hard to clean it so get the tiny cleaning brushes too ) these bottles are very good during initial stages of kid

2.the spoons that change color when heat is present .

3.Get a baby kit which includes tiny clippers and nose plugs they are very good here

4. Some baby mittens

5.If you have space get a bouncer

6. A portable breast pump .nursing pads and lanisoh cream and the bella band for you .

of course all these items are available in india but you may have look around so much except in metros

2 people like this.
  6. oleenam

oleenam Junior IL'ite

Thanks a lot lochu:))..thats really a valuable information.

7. vanisriv

vanisriv Silver IL'ite

Hi Oleena,

congratulations on your pregnancy..Must be soo exciting. Glad that you are paying attention to the right things during pregnancy. Not many do!

You pretty much get everything in India at a reasonable price except the following (either don't get or too expensive):

1) Nipple cream - Lansinoh
    2) Diaper cream - Aquaphor
    3) Breast pump (Avent or Medela)
    4) Breast pads - Lansinoh
    5) Maternity sanitary pads
    6) Nursing pillow (Quality is much better in USA)

I had my first delivery in USA and second in India. Had to get only the above items. Everything else (Baby starter kit, towels, mittons, hood, onesis, etc) you can get here...

We used a diaper table in USA which was very helpful during recovery and later. We custom made one here (almost the same price as USA). It was extremely helpful especially since my second delivery was a C-Sec.

Where in India will you be returning to? Just curious

1 person likes this.
  8. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

I am not aware of post delivery stuff that you would need. But for the pregnancy, I would suggest buying maternity clothes from US. Seriously, even in Bangalore I had a hard time finding decent maternity clothes. I wear a 'S' size, and not many options here. I could get maternity jeans, but not the tops. So if you like western wear, you could buy those.

1 person likes this.