Things to be careful about after a C-section?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Indianwife2000, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Indianwife2000

Indianwife2000 Silver IL'ite

Hi dear ILadies,

I am here with some questions that have been bothering me for quite some time now.

About my background...I am a member of Dec due date club and this is my 2nd baby. My first one baby is a preemie and it was an emergency c-section. Things were not at all planned, and so no proper care was taken after delivery. And I ended up having lots of medical issues with my first c-section.

Now, I am scheduled for another c-section and I want to ask those ladies who have been through about Dos and Donts that I should know. Here are some questions:

1. What special care should be taken after a c-section? At hospital and specially at home? And how long?

2. What food items I should or shouldn't be eating after Cesarean? This is very important for me since my MIL doesn't have much knowledge about this.

3. I am in US. What kind of stitches does one get these days? Its been many years since my first c-section. Is it something that dissolves on its own? And typically how many stitches does one get in a c-section?

4. How often does one need to see a doctor right after a c-section?

5. Will I need big size sanitary napkins after the operation?

6. How long does one typically stay in the hospital after the operation?

7. Can someone also provide me a list of things that I should pack in my hospital bag?

Please ladies...let me know if you have answers to my questions.

Thanks!!!

2. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1. What special care should be taken after a c-section? At hospital and specially at
    home? And how long?

Traditionally confinement in Asian cultures range from 30 days to 2 months minimum. Dont strain your stitches.

2. What food items I should or shouldn't be eating after Cesarean?
    Avoid foods with gas, cold foods, oily, spicy food.
    (I remember eating very limited stuff for the first few days like carrot, tofu, kootu, chou chou, mild rasam, paruppu thogayal etc)

3. I am in US. What kind of stitches does one get these days?
    The stitches these days in my part of the world are sutures, which would fall on their own.

4. How often does one need to see a doctor right after a c-section?
    There is a checkup after 1 week-10 days, and one follow up after 6 weeks. But this varies from case to case and doc to doc

5. Will I need big size sanitary napkins after the operation?
    Yes, ofcourse

6. How long does one typically stay in the hospital after the operation?
    again varies from hospital to hospital - average 3-5 days

7. Can someone also provide me a list of things that I should pack in my hospital bag?
    Check your hospital, they may give you a list depending on what they will/will not provide for you there. In general, baby's clothes, diapers, your clothes, napkins, towels, toiletries, formula feeding items if you choose to use that

3. Indianwife2000

Indianwife2000 Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much Preeti. I really appreciate it.