1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

They work so light in darkness for us to see colour !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chokkanayaki, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Chokkanayaki

Chokkanayaki Silver IL'ite

I asked her, " Please !Could you spare some time to create a small green patch outside my ground floor apartment ?'Rohini was busy in the garden and the nimble fingers went about deftly,planting fresh saplings neatly in a row.A group of young women worked day long for the upkeep of the beautiful lawn inside the office campus and Rohini was one of them.

I was seeing her for the first time.I asked her "Are you new to work ?"Without even caring to look up.she replied "Yes ! Madam...I am here since last week,she spoke in chaste Tamil.
    Oh ! Madam ! I am a little busy these days.Please give me your contact address and I can offer my services during the weekend after Diwali.That's perfectly ok ! I said...

Stooping down,she bent her neck and went about her work very sincerely.Her hair was tied in a top knot and she replied to my queries without looking back at me.I did not wish to disturb her any more and I went my way.

It was the morning rush hour and the bank was doing brisk business.It was my routine visit to the bank...a cheque drop,a passbook update and the usual courtesy call...The manger is a good friend too and I dropped in to say a Hello.

"Advance Diwali wishes Sir !" I said..."So how are you doing ?I am fine ."he replied. "How are the Docs ?" he enquired..."They are doing good,I said and went on to ask,"Sir !Can you please do me a favour ? If you have no objection ,can I use the services of Rohini during the weekend ? I saw her working in your lawn and I am impressed.She is so agile and makes gardening seem so simple...I need to take a few classes from her."I said.

The manager smiled and said "Yes ! Maam ! She is a very good worker ,"and then went on to add..."Rohini is a very special woman with a great deal of self respect.She is more capable than most of us .She seems to have magic in her fingers....a very disciplined woman...a trait so uncommon amongst casual labourers." he added.....and went on and on in praise of the young woman....

As I listened he said...".Maam ! We see colour and light and we praise HIM....Rohini works in darkness and yet she sings hymns in HIS praise...Rohini is Blind and yet she sees sense...We have the gift of sight but do we really have the vision...the Manager asked ?

I was left speechless !!!!!!

4 people like this.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

You maintained the suspense till the end. The last line is true and written well. We do have vision but many of do not see. Timely post to remind us too see as well.

2 people like this.
  3. Chokkanayaki

Chokkanayaki Silver IL'ite

Dear Anandchitra,
    Thank you...I am now a big fan of Rohini :)