There's No Such Thing As Evil Eye But Do You Sometimes Wonder?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Path-breaking studies have shown that opposite attract is a myth. Human beings tend to seek similarity in those they meet. I was not part of that study but am seeking similarity. : )

This is my thinking sometimes:
    I do know that there is no such thing as an "evil eye" or nazar /drishti. It is silly to think that a person who resents my success or happiness can cause me harm just by thinking negatively about me. But sometimes ... I just have to wonder. I share a positive update with a friend or relative, and out of the blue something goes wrong within a day or two.

Based on my totally unscientific analysis I have narrowed down the "evil eye" dispensers to a few people. I did some further testing and found that they were repeat offenders. : ) If I go for a long period without sharing happy news with these people, I do not experience any evil eye ka effects.

Do you think like the above me sometimes?
    You don't really believe in evil eye but sometimes you think there must be something to it?
    If so, please elaborate. :grinning: :grinning:

stayblessed likes this.

2. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

I do believe...Or rather circumstances made me believe..Its not that intentionally ppl may have negative feelings for you..However the thought that we are better than them on certain aspects might be the trigger

stayblessed, shravs3 and Rihana like this.
  3. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

I was also thinking that there is no such thing like evil eye and used to make fun of my mom when she lighted camphor, making all of us stand in front of her when I was young. However due to some incidents which happened in my life, I started believing the evil eye and I have started lighting camphor, making my children stand in front of me and my children are making funof me now. :blush:

stayblessed, shravs3 and Rihana like this.
  4. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

Felt it very strongly with 2 people in particular. One is a very close relative family. Whenever she praises my kid, next day kid falls sick. She has a good heart I believe , may be thats why she used to always tell me to remove drishti every time we talk. She herself must be knowing that her drishti is not good and hence suggesting the remedy. However she can't stop herself from saying good about the kid. I did not believe it earlier, but now I understand that it is really having a negative impact on the kid.
    Second is a friend, even when she says something good about the kid or any other family member, next day something bad happens. It cant be always coincidence. So I have reduced interactions with her.

stayblessed and Rihana like this.
  5. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

I feel it is mostly bad or negative vibrations which come out through someone depending on the yearning they have for it.
    I have a local friend who visits us sometimes. I have a Tulasi plant which I go through hoops to save through the Canada winter indoors. This lady comes home and with wide eyes exclaims how beautifully it has grown and so many plants have grown.
    Gone, the very next week the plants dry up and I have to wait till spring/summer for new ones to grow. Such can be the effect of negative vibrations.
    I find it silly to carry and the cover the plant every time she comes, and every time this happens.

After she comes and goes, I normally Dhrishtisuththify my kids, because she also comments on them how tall and good looking they have grown, and they fall sick immediately.

Sometimes, it is not the person's problem too because they might be saying it just casually but it may take effect. But she comments from the bottom of her stomach so I think it is 'vayatherichal'.
    TO keep me sane, I do the dhrishti every time she visits or we visit her. Whether the Dhrishtisuththifying helps or not, it keeps me calm. :)

6. anutt

anutt Bronze IL'ite

Sorry to divert the thread, what is the procedure to take dhristi for kids? Also as adults how can we protect ourselves from evil eye if no elders are with us to take dhristi for us.

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I always used to wonder if such a thing exist! But whenever I post something on FB or whatsapp status, the next day I experience something bad. Infact I’m experiencing something right now!!

stayblessed and Rihana like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Bumping up the thread in the hope of a few more responses.

It's been a few months since I wrote the above. I am mildly embarrassed to write that I continued to track the sharing positive update and things going wrong within a day, and the coincidences are too much. It must surely be my imagination .. but when I go back and look at whatsapp conversations and the dates, I again see a pattern: share a happy news and almost like on cue something bad happens. Not small bad but biggish bad.

I am sure there is no scientific explanation for the evil-eye thingie, but here's one theory:

Say a friend comes to my house, admires a healthy and thriving plant, she asks how I care for it etc. She herself has a much more diverse garden but lavishes praise on this one plant I hadn't killed yet. Within a week the plant starts to lose lustre and withers away. Did she cast an evil eye on it? : ) No. More likely, after describing to her how I care for the plant, maybe I thought too much about the amount of watering and ended up doing too much or too little. Like, I lost the natural rhythm and started to overthink about the plant's care and so over-watered it.

Or, I tell a friend about something my child's taekwondo and then my child fails at the taekwondo red belt test a week later. : ) Chances are after telling my friend about it, I imagine my friend asking about the next tournament's result, and so I started to push my child to practice more, the child got ticked off and hence did badly in the test.

I have definitely cut down on what I share with whom .. and in fact have at times pointedly shared bad news as a "precaution" for LOL. :facepalm:

9. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

My experiences in this area: It so happened that one evening, we all female colleagues were getting ready for an office party. I walked out of the wash and was about to moisturize my face, when suddenly an elderly colleague of mine commented "wow M, such a glowing skin" and then she never stopped that until we reached the party.

The next day, I had blisters all over my face and my face hasn't come back to normalcy until a month after that. Drishti/nazar or my other colleague's shower gel that I tried that day. I don't know what caused that! :grinning:

One of my aunts comments while serving my favourite curry in my plate - "eat M, your mom said this is your favourite curry" and I was throwing up the next whole day. Was it food or was it the eye? I don't know!

Much recently, I have observed a pattern with a friend of mine. I shared about me trying to get pregnant - it never happened, I shared about my plans for further education in a particular esteemed institute - It never happened, I shared about every proposal to buy a house - all never materialised. The irony is she feels elated whenever I share the news/plans. She follows it up cheerfully. Yet, that was how things unfolded at my end. I always felt some negative vibration when I shared things. I proceeded to share anyway, discrediting my instincts until one occasion where she verbalised her jealousy, unknowingly I guess. That was the day I stopped to share things and we drifted apart. To my surprise (or rather added confusion) things started moving in the positive direction after cutting all ties with that person!!

Drishti or otherwise, I feel it is so unfortunate that it is really becoming harder and harder to find people who genuinely feel happy for us when we share a good news.

Now, I stopped sharing stuff with certain people who my instincts alert and also generally, maybe not because of drishti, but because I really don't appreciate the negative energy (you can feel it however hard they try to mask it with their bright 32 teeth) and importantly I believe it's pointless to share your joy with someone who doesn't see what you see.

Rihana, stayblessed and SuiDhaaga like this.
  10. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

There is definitely a scientific explanation. The thinking that....... Things went wrong in a person's life due to somebody else's ill-will ......is very similar to , thinking that things go bad due to bad omens like wrong numerology, astrology , vastu and wrong alignment of stars etc.,

This is the evidence of how insecure and vulnerable human mind is . !

Those who have believed it , will continue to believe it for the rest of their lives.

Those who have never believed in it will stay away from this way of reasoning, forever

SuiDhaaga likes this.