There is no room for grief ! - Bhagavad Gita verses 2.23 & 2.24

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Re: There is no room for grief !

Dear Pavithra,
    You are not confused at all.
    But I will confuse you, if I answer, since the topic will defy the scope of this post.
    I will deal with Srishti - the analysis of the universe as a separate post in future. We will discuss - what is creation? - how did it happen etc.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

A gem from you once again. I equally enjoyed the Q & A. There are both pros and cons in being a late FBer - get to enjoy all FBs and responses while most of the questions arising asked and clarified.

At this point of reading the post, I am able to accept the fact that grief has no room. However, I am not certain if at times of distress, this knowledge will prevail. So, it is a great post to be preserved and used as an anchor at times when we grieve. Many thanks for that!!!

Looking forward to the post about Srishti - being an optimistic person, I dream of a time when all anatmas can exhaust their vasanas and would like to know why such a dream is like building castle in air.

-Gayathri.

3. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    Thanks.
    I will wait for the 2nd chapter of Gita to be over, before I write on a few vedantic topics, general topics etc before starting the 3rd chapter, God willing !
    Well, the topic, though hard-hitting is very well received. That itself makes me happy !
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

That title was surely hard hitting......yes we need not or should not grieve....but it feels like we are not being or showing our affection( here i am talking only abt the last years incident in my life) ....Somehow i feel grieving over my loss is also soothening.....i somehow try to come to terms with it! Maybe that is why here in the west it seems they have a mourning period of 1 year .......so in my case i feel it is okay to grieve....
    It is also a part of my duty that i should go thru with this, and maybe learn something out of it... isn't it what Gita is also all abt.....going thru this life and maybe many such lives we can maybe comprehend all this.....and maybe at this point we will exhaust our anatma functions and not take birth again!

Well another profound writeup.....keeps me going in this life and facing it everyday! Liked Aishu's last para and of course Ria was so sweet and spontaneous.....i too second her!:hatsoff

( by the way was talking and praising you to my classmates when we met this morning for coffee....they wanted to know what i do sitting at home and i was mentioning you and other IL ites and the fun we used to have ....told them no more german classes since i miss IL! They were astonished with your accomplishments)

5. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mrs. C,

Thanks for a simplified lesson on gita. From reading all this gita I just wonder how I ever let go of that small griefs that I have on day to day basis. This isn't easy as thought. But your posts help me atleast in keeping me in right path or should I say in selfless mind.

6. Chitvish

Dear Sudha,
    You were bereaved very recently - that speaks in your post.
    In our culture, it is said that as we have an intake of "salt & water", our grief will become acceptable for us, over a period of time !
    That is why they do not advise fasting for the bereaved people.
    You are too optimistic when you say
    maybe at this point we will exhaust our anatma functions and not take birth again!
    I hope you realise that we are far from liberation !
    Thanks for your nice words, Sudha.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Dear Madhu,
    I agree, it is not easy to get over small griefs on day to day basis.
    But if we think over it, we realise the futility & gradually start accepting it, as a way of life ! We have no choice!!
    Thanks for joining us, Madhu.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    I have been reading all your expositions on the Geetha. Today I got some time to read the fbs too. So I thought I too would chip in to convey my views.
    As you rightly said in your reply to Kamla,"it is all easily said - I am sadly in the same boat of bondage as you are or X or Y is.But this thought process has to be registered in our mind for our own benefit.There is no running away from it for a samsari, yours truly also included", we are all in the same boat. I think grief is a thing which strikes even the sanyasins. The only difference is that they overcome it within a short time because of their knowledge of the indestructible Atman, And we poor souls are trapped in the bondage of samsara.Undeniably, grief strikes every being who is born into this earth. Only its intensity differs.
    This is my humble opinion. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.
    Regards,
    Malathi

9. Chitvish

Dear Malathy,
    It is nice to receive a feedback from you.
    What you have written is correct. I presume, sanyasis must have developed Viveka & Vairagya - the necessary qualifications, more than you and me, the samsaris !
    We know, there is no room for grief, but still cannot help grieving !
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Mrs.Chith.

rightly said that there is no use in grieving over 'anatma' which is not permanent and which is also not in our control.
    why we should grieve on those things which we don;t have control, it is better we accept it as such.
    Trying to achieve in which janma--- is the question.

sriniketan