The 'you Look Tired' Comment - Is It Rude, How To Respond

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Nov 18, 2021.

Telling someone "You look tired" is:

1. A show of concern

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Plain rude

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Not rude

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. None of the above

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Telling someone "You look tired" is:
    - a show of concern
    - plain rude
    - not rude
    - none of the above

Why do you think so?

What are some good responses to this comment?

2. Rihana

It is plain rude. Adding "are you getting enough sleep?" is a lame way of turning a rude comment into a show of concern.

If I am looking tired, chances are high that I know I am looking tired. I don't need to be told that. Just as you needn't tell me my hair looks rough or that I look fat.

I remember reading some funny responses like:
    - I have two kids. This is my face now.
    - Yes, I hardly got any sleep last night ...<wink>

But after a lifetime of comments regarding dark circles under the eyes and how to fix them, I have settled for a simple: I know. It is less tiring to leave it to the other person to wonder what "I know".

3. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

I am one of those people who asks that question and from my end though it is a genuine concern.

You look tired ra...all fine? is what I usually ask when i come across my friends/ acquaintances who really look tired. I don't go beyond that to presume anything. Half the time the response is lack of sleep or too much work. The rest half was surprisingly a theraphy session where they unburderned their problem. my two good friends moved from the acquaintance circle to the inner reserved good friends after such sessions. I guess they probably wanted someone anyone there to unburden themselves. I am glad i was there to support them.

Rihana, Mistt, SCA and 1 other person like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My answer to them will be

:blush::blush::blush:

Rihana likes this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

I have not yet read the other responses, however felt the need to reply. I feel, it depends on how close the relationship is. If it is a dear friend or immediate family, i would take it as a show of concern. I have often passed this remark to my sons/DILs and other close relatives too, and no one has taken it badly and said what they felt! Of course , with plain acquaintances, it could be construed to be rude or rather interfering!:blush:

Rihana likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

few days back my friend told me this...that I look very tired

I was least bit bothered and also know it is true :)

long time ago..

I once felt fantastic, fresh, felt I looked good but was told my someone at a party that " why do u look crestfallen!"/..she repeated it three times in the party and by the end of the party I did look crestfallen.coz I was angry with her comment which was obviously not true.

That I felt was rude.

So it is how we see ourself that day.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    sarvantaryamini, joylokhi and Rihana like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

some responses for You look tired: 5D479276-E578-4C00-ABC4-573110FD8E5E.jpeg
    8790A17D-EBEB-4093-A70B-DA1EADA6A6C8.jpeg

FF1CFD5C-B15A-4F14-9E29-CDBD21D5EDA6.jpeg
    D61B046A-716E-4E4A-94E2-16E323B80717.png

3390334C-8F6B-4EE8-AFE4-A4FD70A06D5D.png

KashmirFlower, joylokhi and Rihana like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Rihana,

The one time I have a moment to log in, I see this post. I have been told many a time that I look tired. I have always responded with a "I am tired" - usually don't worry about the person commenting because I know how my days are and am grateful to feel that tired as I plough my way through days doing what I feel is important or satisfying to me. :blush:

Induslady, joylokhi and Rihana like this.
  9. Rihana

Good Lord! Anika, you are so on the dot. You should do some certificate course and become a counselor/therapist or something equivalent. : )

Same here.

My dislike for that comment started mostly with a particular occasion. Long time ago, we'd been married for less than a year and were at a desi gathering. When we entered and were saying hello/hi to folks, one of the older male (around 50-55) remarked to me in a booming voice, "You look tired." I was actually dressed up with bangles, bindi and all that and looked quite pretty. : ) I had gone there straight from work (after changing into Indian clothes in the office restroom). Didn't know how to cover up dark circles. His comment really bothered me. This man was rather old-fashioned I later learnt. He expected women to always look like his name (Prafulla) - cheerful, blooming, pleasant, cheerful, freshly rested. From then on, I find that remark very annoying.

:worship2: You nailed it. That day I saw myself as a pretty still-newly-married woman. The "look tired" comment bothered me a lot.

True! Now if anyone tells me that, I am mostly amused and nod in agreement.

joylokhi and anika987 like this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Aww..thanks Rihana! Your compliments always means a lot.It feels very rewarding when am
    able to help anyone emotionally or see a different perspective and it makes them feel good.Whatever Little I know from my life experiences am able to share my bit here in the IL world.Thanks again:)

Rihana likes this.