The worrying trend of drinking epidemic amongst women

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Dinny, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Wine Selection:

1. The secret behind a good wine lies in the quality, country and the age of the grape. Normally it is believed that Italy has the best quality grapes/wines followed closely by California and South Africa.

2. You have to choose your wine depending on the kind of meal you serve. For example, lets say you are serving something heavy like pasta with Alfredo sauce. You will then pick a wine to complement the heavy meal. General rule is to get a heavy wine to accompany a heavy meal. Wines like Zinfandel, Cabernet, Tuscans like old Chianty, Bordeaux, Merlot are considered on heavier side.
    Something like (like for appetizers), you serve something light like white French wines, Sauvignon blends.

3. Now, think about what kind of taste your food has. Like, if its spicy, then you need to choose something sweeter like Pinot Grigio would pair wonderful. One of my favorite fruity flavored wine is manage au trios.

4. You will need to spend at least $20 + to get a good champagne. For wines, the older they age, the better they get.

5. There are times I skipped making dessert altogether and served Ice wine from a local winery. It was a super hit.

6. When you go to a store, describe the kind of taste you want from a wine. Like right now, close your eyes and imagine what your tongue wants to taste..is it something heavy, light, sweet or what is it that your tongue is craving now. Explain that to the employee in the store and normally they will be able to get something you might want to try.

7. Another good way is to taste the wine before buying I.e if they have it available for tasting. Take the wine glass and gently give it a swirl. Bring it close to your nose and smell it. If its appealing to you, only then take a small sip. Rotate it in your mouth and slowly gulp it down. It should sink down as smooth as ...silk against your palm.
    If it does, you found your match. If you didn't enjoy it, it means you will have to continue your search.

8. It's a good investment to buy a nice wine decanter. Open the bottle of wine and pour it in the decanter. Let it breath for a few minutes before serving.

9. Red wines have to be served at room temperature (not talking about rose) and whites and bubbly's need to be chilled.

10. Look online about your options. My favorite place to look for review and recommendation is winesspectator.com

Hope this helps...I would confidently say, if you haven't found your wine-match in your life time, you are missing something.

3 people like this.
  2. Rakhii

JAG, if people forget kids are around and watching, then they sure crossed the limit.

3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

@rakhii
    I had tried a red wine from south africa is what i remember.
    I did try step number 7.Because ppl say thats how wine should be tasted.
    I will try again.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

Oh :(
    How do you like your wine anyway Dinny? If you really are interested in finding a good wine, I could try and help you.
    I hope you don't get me wrong. I am not trying to get you into drinking. I really don't want to peer-pressure you.
    Only if you want to try a good one, I maybe able to help you. Perhaps Rose would be a place to start.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Naksh will come back and call me a hypocrite again.But then whats the harm in tasting it right???
    Though i am really not sure how my body will react to it.You wont believe it once with just 2 glasses of ginger wine my ears and cheeks turned red and i fell asleep....hihihi :rotfl.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Yes...take it nice and slow. Just a few sips is all you have the first time.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Okay then may be i over did it...because it tasted sweet and nice.Next time i will be more careful.:)

8. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Very true. For men AND women, drinking is also a cool factor- makes many feel cool and sophisticated. There are many of my friends in India, when they visit me here tell me I should be more sophisticated and have a cocktail or wine every now and then.

Chocolate is my poison and all I need. I really don't think a glass of wine every now and then is so bad though I don't enjoy alcohol. But it those that drink excessively that is really a problem.

Frankly for me- I am high on life. Never needed alcohol as a pick-me-up.

3 people like this.
  9. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Agree nothing wrong with a glass of wine with food and those that know how to drink and not make a ass of themselves - its all fine for them.

I think I am one of those who can never acquire taste for alcohol. I don't think there is a drink I have not tried- at least a sip- but except for an occasional dessert wine- really sweet kind- I cannot drink.

However. movies may or may not influence people but friends definitely do. I have been forced by so many friends and have been called "uncool"- I kid you not.

I will tell you of an incident- some good friends of mine with their four year old visited me from India. One day we were at a restaurant and they wanted to give their 4 year old some beer. I was shocked. I told them they will be in trouble if someone sees them and that they cannot give the child alcohol. Husband said "well one day she is going to drink anyway so what difference does it make". And I said "well you don't know that but if you give her alcohol at age of 4 she sure will end up drinking.

My friend- the wife said" why should someone (other patrons) say something? Its our child. We can do what we want". I asked if they kill/ or otherwise hurt another family member, can they use same logic? That shut her up. See, my friends are otherwise responsible people but people's attitude about alcohol has gone a tremendous change.

Again if people can moderate themselves, fine otherwise, it does not take long for social drinking to be a every day thing. No one really set out to be alcoholic. It just gradually creeps up to them.

1 person likes this.
  10. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii- It is totally a myth that most wines taste better with age. Some wines (French Bordeaux or many full-bodied reds) are meant to be aged but most are meant to be had young. Wines that are meant to be aged have to be carefully aged in constant temperature, storage etc. As far as I know, a very small percentage of wine is aged. Most are consumed young.

Another myth is that expensive wines taste better. Many people are all snobby with wines but even the so-called experts can and are sometimes wrong.

Though I am not much of a drinker, been to many well-known wine producing regions and done tasting tours and I think it is a drink for which taste is totally subjective.

Now if only I could find a wine that is not sugary sweet that I could enjoy :(

2 people like this.