The worrying trend of drinking epidemic amongst women

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Dinny, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

I have been wanting to start a thread on this issue from last few days.
    It so happened that this year when we had gone to goa,one day way after midnight me and my family members were coming out of a beach side restraunt when we saw a girl and her husband/boyfriend coming out of another restraunt nearby.This gal was sooo drunk that her partner had to hold her and walk.Initially i found it very funny and made fun of that gal.And then i felt pitty on her...on her state.
    Another incident was when few months back one of my friends (gal)on FB was tagged in one of her gang's pics completely drunk.And the comments to that post were atrocious.I felt bad for my friend.We were together in school.She was one of the prettiest gal in our school ,infact i have never met a girl so pretty.
    But then this gal has been scandalising her old friends with her bikini pics and other personal pics on FB for quite sometime now.So i guess shes fine even if somebody tags her "drunk" pic.
    Another day i was chatting with one of my college friends, and casually happened to ask her about her weight issues.She shocked me with her confession that now shes a social drinker.But even if she's a social drinker i dont think she must be drinking on days other than weekends.Then how come its effecting her weight so much??
    I did some research and found out that alcohol effects women in slightly different way when compared to men.Women start having alcohol related problems at lower drinking levels than men do.
    The liver damage,heart related issue, pregnancy issues and cancer are the top health related issues that an alcoholic woman might face.I am not even touching the issue of hormonal imbalance...
    But i heard drinking slowly, and making sure you eat enough while drinking, can help minimize alcohol’s side effects.:roll:

My guess is that the late night drinking culture, following the easing of the licensing laws, together with cheap drink,especially wine (specially in places like goa) play a big part as does industry marketing and promotion.

The deaths might be few but the trend is definitely worrying....

4 people like this.

2. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

true dinny, men's bodies have more water than women's bodies, that is why the alcohol gets diluted in men's bodies and hence the side effects are mild as compared to women who experience these effects severely.

probably that is the reason, alcohol was during old times, consumed only by men.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Ohhh is that the reason.
    Thanks girlygirl.I didnt know about it.
    But now it sounds more scary to me now.
    I am someone who would drink even a glass of wine with a spoon of sugar if offered....dont know how ppl can have sooo much of alcohol when it tastes sooo bad.
    Whats so good about it?? Havent understood...

4. Wondergirl137

Wondergirl137 Gold IL'ite

I saw something very similar and it was sad!
    Recently I was out shopping with my family and saw this really young girl, not more than 15-16, completely drunk and getting sick on the mall floor. She was with her friends and all of them looked like school kids..not more than 16 or so. It was kind of shocking. I have heard of-course of kids starting it every early these days and a lot of my females friends are social drinkers but to actually see a young girl in that state made me think about it hard! I was wondering what if she wasn't with a group of caring friends but somebody else...its not exactly a very safe situation.

1 person likes this.
  5. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Its this new liberation women have found that now that they are educated and earn money they can also have drinks like men. In the name of liberation and modernization we forget what is right & what is wrong.

Both men & women need to see that they stay with in limits. Being drunk will not get you a medal of being ultra modern. We don't have to follow the bad things about west, in fact there is a lot we can teach them but because we are so focused on being progressive we are forgetting our good values.

I personally have not seen any females getting so drunk . In my circle of friends most will have a glass of wine at most. But I have watched some documentaries about the Indian pub/nightclub scene and I that the tittle of your post totally applies.

3 people like this.
  6. Wondergirl137

Wondergirl137 Gold IL'ite

Forgot to add that my parents were so disheartened and concerned to see the girl in that state. They were like"what has she told her parents and how will she go back home?" Apart form health concerns,its not actually very safe for female if she is not capable of handing her drink!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. thegirlygirl

yup, all medications will have slightly different actions and intensity of adverse effects in men and women.
    alcohol being one, is no exception.

1 person likes this.
  8. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Ohhh wondergirl
    A teenager getting drunk....its shocking.
    Your parents are right...how did she face her parents when she got back home that day....
    Its beyond my imagination.

9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Anmolhai

Never been to any night clubs except the army clubs.They were safe because the crowd around used to be mostly from the army.And nobody got very drunk because every knew everyone else.
    But yes i have heard of the "real" night clubs where thinks can get really ugly.
    Drink and drive is another issue associated with it.

1 person likes this.
  10. thegirlygirl

you're right anmolhai, it is shown in movies too, a smart urban indian woman is expected to drink as like her male counterpart and also not hesitate to indulge in sex before marriage.

almost all actresses in the current movies are shown doing these two things. and since all young girls take inspiration from bollywood actresses, they too indulge in these just to 'belong' to the crowd, and be labelled cool.

3 people like this.