The wonder within! – Bhagavad Gita Verse 2.29

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    Sorry for answering your question to Sri.
    My My 2cents
    Atma is awareness.
    If you analyse a thought, there is no thought at all. Can you remember how a thought began or ended? That there is a world for you is because you have a thought.When you ask, how far is any given thought true, where does the awareness end, where does the thought begin, you suddenly realise there is only awareness. There is no thought. There is no beginning of the thought nor form of the thought. All that is there is awareness.
    If I have confsed you more, well AC, it will not be a Wonder to me!
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dearest Chithra
    The question was also for u too..
    I do agree with the thought awareness that you have so well described..
    I am quoting your line here from the leader post from where my question came:
    We experience this atma all the time. Only because of the atma, do we experience the world. This atma is very evident as ananda in moments of joy when we discover ourselves to be full (purna).

I agree with what you have written. My question is actually my desire why should I not be able to remain being aware of Atma all the time then we will realise our real self too and can thus be in a state of continous bliss.

3. Chitvish

Dearest AC,
    To reach the stage you have described,
    One has to become a Jnani; as I always say, Mahaperiyaval & Sri Ramana reached that stage. So long as"we have transactions, call them interactions" with the world, it is not possible.
    Are you ready physically, emotionally & intellectually?
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

You have answered my question. Thank You.

5. Chitvish

Dear Aish,
    I am sorry, I missed your post. I was just now "revising" the thread to make sure, I have not missed any FB, I made a note of yours.
    Do not worry that you have a long way to go, to understand. You have made a beginning - as I wrote earlier, that itself requires His Grace.
    Understanding will emerge gradually !
    Thanks for the keen interest you show at this young age !
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC & Gayathri
    I once again seek the indulgence of Chitvish for usurping her space but I also feel duty bound to answer your doubts that I have myself caused in your minds.
    I have earlier mentioned about the psyche's dilemma. On one side it faces the lure of the body and on the other the redemption offered by the spirit. But we must understand that we have been blessed with a body to serve as the temperory abode for the spirit to dwell. This body itself is a vehicle to ferry us through the Karmic sea. It has to be necessarily used to expend our Karma in order that we may ultimately reach a stage when we may not need a body after having expended all our Karma. But in effect, too much attachment to the body not only makes it difficult for us to expend our Karma but add to it.

That's why, we are told by our scriptures to shift our focus from our body to the spirit within. Remember the episode of Yayathi? He was rejuvenated with the elixir of youth but he soon found that the body would never lead him in the path of salvation and restored his son with the youth. Very evolved souls always punished their bodies with awesome penance in order to stay with the spirit within. They knew that pampering the body would only take them away from the soul.

Having said all this, we must also remember that we have been given a body to perform our Karma but we must take care to see that such performance of Karma does not add on to our our Karmic account. That's why we are told to follow the path of Dharma in our profession, family life, public life and the entire gamut of our physical actions.

For an ordinary mortal, it would suffice if he leads a righteous life. Sitting in meditation and the like is not important for a noble soul. Nor is it going to be helpful if we are going to stray from the path of Dharma except during the few minutes of meditation!
    Sri

7. Chitvish

Dear Sri,
    I am wondering how to "punish" you for your words

I once again seek the indulgence of Chitvish for usurping her space

Sri, please remember one thing - I am looking at all these concepts from a vedanta student's point of view. Try however I might, I am not able to come out of it.:hide
    Whereas, you give a refreshingly different explanation and I also immensely enjoy your answers.
    Please share your valuable thoughts in my threads without reservation.That is what IL is all about. My thread is not my space; neither is your thread your space. Once we post the threads, it is all ours !:)
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

dear Chithra,
    Enjoying all the interactions and tryingto make sense of my Atma.....but only problem is i am too sick with high fever etc etc, that all this seems to go above my brain, though my atma seems to accept and understand it...
    Will join in later when i am alright....till then will just raed now and then and keep following......Bow

9. Chitvish

Dear Sudha,
    I am really touched by your post - inspite of feeling very sick, you did bother to make me happy by posting a feedback.
    Do take care, get well & go through this post to understand better.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra..

Thank you once again for a 'wonder'-full post.

These days, I am actually experiencing (though in a small way), a noticeable change in me and I am attributing this to your posts and IL.

Earlier, I used to always complain and crib that nthg right is happening for me and the grass for me was always greener on the other side. Especially, when someone said / did sthg, which hurt me / which did not match my expectations, I used to get very much dejected and feel defeated. But suddenly, these days, I am beginning to feel - 'what the heck...I have myself for support, even if everybody else in the worst case scenario is not on my side' !! It is making me feel better even in a not-so-comfortable situation :)
    Even I am 'wondering' at my own self....hopefully, my dependence on others for 'appreciation', 'support' etc will reduce further..lets see.
    I can relate to this post of yours to a good extent now :)

Thanks again and lots of love
    Pavithra