1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Wit And Humor Of Dhamu

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha
    You got it lady! Even I have forgotten his full name, Damodharan! I would add Thangavelu to your duo. Who can forget his role as a writer in Kalyana Parisu! In fact, I have seen many films only because they featured him. Later he took to Stage acting and did a tremendous job. Raadhu, a good friend of mine from Reserve Bank staged his plays for nearly two decades and each play was a roaring hit!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear sokanasanah
    Recollections of past life attain classic literary standard if they are written by Gandhi and Nehru Mine is more of a club gossip! If I go deeper into it than what I have done, it is bound to get censored if not totally axed!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

My dear Viswa
    Thank you for your nice response. Whenever I read your responses to me I remember Kripanandavarriar. He was one who I used to admire a lot. His profound knowledge of serious philosophy was well matched by his wit and humour. I have witnessed how his 'Upakadas' evoked roaring laughter among his listeners and he brought them to a serious philosophical mode in the next sentence. I have seen the philosophical and humorous mode of you both of which are delivered with great ease by you.

Dhamu is not a figment of my imagination. He is as real as you and me but I have taken the liberty of covering his name with a pseudonym. I don't want to be sued for a million dollars by his wife which she wouldn't mind being dumped on her lap by a benevolent court of law!
    Sri

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

My dear Syamala
    You talk of two personalities that each of us may have. Like Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde though not as sinister in their ramifications. The other side of midnight does not need to be light always. It can be more darkness too. Only the people who suffer perpetual darkness would understand it. As a matter of fact, the Johari window talks of four human sides viz one that is known to all, one that is known to us but not to others, one that is known to others but not to ourselves and one that is neither known to us nor to others . When I first read about it, I was amazed about this conceptualization of the human psyche. I applied this to myself and dismayed to observe how complex a character I myself was. I wondered if animals too could have such self conflicts!
    On second thoughts I realised that God has created humans with such complex mental structure. What would be the ideal mix of the four sides? I think that we need not be an open book to all and a bit of mystery about our character will make life fun!
    Sri

shyamala1234 likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Rajeni
    Thank you for your wonderful feedback. That Bible quote of yours reminded me of a Tamil play titled 'Veetle Eli, velila puli! (Mouse at home, tiger outside!) I remember a scene from an old Tamil movie. The wife leaves for her parents place for a week. The husband sees her off at the bus stand with tearful eyes and sad face. The moment the bus leaves carrying his wife, he jumps with joy and he runs around all over the bus stand shouting 'My wife has left for her town'. Everyone in the bus stand congratulates him on his luck but this lasts for only ten minutes. For some reason, the bus comes back with his wife and she is furious at the jubilation of her husband. The tears and sad look return to his face!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

My dear Srama
    Making you smile is the easiest thing! You are not a grumpy old chap like Walter Matthau who made news whenever he smiled! I may have given you just one more reason to smile. After all even the trees and plants in your house make you smile! I must confess here that I am myself a Walter Matthau at home but when I am with my friends, I put a hyena to shame with my perpetual giggling!
    Sri

Srama likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I never knew about four human sides! So we are an enigma to ourselves also?
    I agree Cheeniya sir, a bit of mystery should be there, something to imagine about others. Otherwise no charm in life. Even couples are not open book to each other. Relationship is more important.
    May be that is the reason why many writers leave the end to the imagination of reader.
    Syamala

8. Cheeniya

Dear kkrish
    If you insist on comparing me to such great writers, I won't stand in your way! But I must tell you that such comparisons put a great strain on my writing which I rate as a little above mediocre!
    Sri

kkrish likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

My dear Syamala
    Just forget the four sides and enjoy life! Mystery is the greatest aspect that makes life worth living. If everything is known to us like an open book, life would be hardly worth living!
    Sri

shyamala1234 and kkrish like this.
  10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    Your fifty year long friendship with Dhamu had brought out this jovial snippet for us. Hope that your other friends also might have had many qualities which you admired and would bring forth many more snippets.
    Poor Dhamu, an acclaimed entertainer with witty and profound statements among his friends was adjudged so badly at home by his better half! What a pity!
    PS

kkrish likes this.