1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Wedding Night

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Mar 10, 2010.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manjula,
    You hit the nail on its head. One of the many questions posed by the Yaksha to Dharma is, 'What do you consider to be the greatest of surprises?'
    Dharma replies, 'People see other people dying everyday. yet they think they'd live on for ever. That's the greatest of surprises.'

Our sage Pattinathar goes a step ahead. What is this strange arithmetich, he asks the Lord of Kanchi, of dying bodies crying over dead bodies?செத்த பிணத்தைச் சுற்றி இனிச் சாம் பிணங்கள் கணக்கென்ன காண்
    When we draw the accounts of a company we accountants operate on a basic assumption called the Going concern concept. We assume that the company will go on for ever. Similarly we have to take many decisions as if we are going to live for ever. But when it comes to spirituality we should live as if we are going to die today.

Along with smasaana vairagyam there's another one, prasava vairagyam. Both these are transient. Knowledge of death will not makes us hate life but only live it well and with greater intensity.
    thanks for coming in and thanks for the nice words.
    love,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Hi,

Felt nice to know about your spiritual journey with reference to death. In as much birth is not our beginning death is not our end. Life is real; life is earnest. The grave is not its goal. The poet lamented. It's true.

Your grandmother had a firm grounding on the reality. Death is the end of our ego, of our mind, of our body.. but not of us. It is very difficult for us to imagine ourselves without our body (or worse still, mind or brain) In fact that's a famous koan in Zen. Mediate on the face you had before your parents gave you one. You can spend lifetimes on this koan.

Even with this blog on death I was not satisfied. And hence in a future blog about two weeks from now we would be tracing the journey of a dead person.

Join with me on that eventful journey.
    thanks for dropping in.
    sridhar

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Excellent!
    Reading this brought both a sense of comfort and contemplation. Comforting to know that soul finally rejoices, contemplation as to how we can equate death to joy especially if it is untimely.
    Could read only some of the fbs and even those were thought provoking.

L, Kamla

4. varalotti

Thanks. Only this blog and the fb I received for it reinforced my status as a courier boy. Rumi's verses are available at the push of a few keys. But the situation to wrap it in.. well.. it came on its own.
    There are occasions where even a courier boy is proud and happy because he has delivered something which the consignees love. This is one such occasion.
    thanks, Kamla for sanctifying the blog with your presence.
    love,
    sridhar

5. durgees

durgees Bronze IL'ite

Excellent!!!

Though it is a known fact that we all should show unconditional love, it is very hard to practice it. Reading your blog made me realise so many mistakes I had done in my past. Not showing enough love to those who need it.

Your namesake Sridhar (Of the story) is ready to welcome the death happily, only because he had completed all his duties as a husband, and a father.

What would be the mind-set of a person in same situation, who hasnt done enough duties to smile at that moment? (Anyway the story is not about dying happily)

I want to send a PM to you, but the option is not available for me. Any other way to send PM to you?

~Durgees

6. varalotti

Thanks durgees. You are right, it's difficult, almost impossible to practise that kind of love.
    I have also done and am still doing many mistakes of not showing enough love when people need it.
    I chose my name for the character only in the fond hope that over time some of his good qualities may come to me. So far that has not happened.
    From one angle that sense of duties in itself is an illusion. In my blog God's cruelty, I talk of the death of a man whose wife is just pregnant with their first child. My next blog, "Sridhar's Birthday" has some pointers in that direction.
    There is no way you can send a pm to me unless you have that facility.
    If you have Lalitha Shivaguru's number please get my mail ID from her and send an email to me.
    sridhar

7. NishkalaS

NishkalaS Junior IL'ite

The past few weeks, i have been very troubled by my observations of my husband's work patterns..he's in IT as a senior manager...and recent news of deaths due to stress and pressure at work have really been bogging me down...Ur blog , this particular one, has made me very sad...I am in the verge of tears as i type this..i need some strong words to calm me.. Do write a blog which is calming in that sense !

8. varalotti

I am sorry Nishkala for making you heavy with this blog. You want something to calm your nerves, right?
    Now be a good girl and read these blogs:

Kutti Blog 6 - The Homecoming! - IndusLadies

Kutti Blog 5 - The Holiest Of Miracles! - IndusLadies

They are sure to make you relax.

But that's not enough Nishkala. Please tell your husband to take care of his health. At the least make him eat at the same time every day and make him sleep for at least 6, 7 hours a day.
    IT industry is a really paying one but the risk of stress cannot be ignored.

Take care and God bless,
    sridhar