1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The wandering monkey!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 10, 2007.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Thanks to Bhavna for reviiving this thread . Enjoyed everyline of your ramblings as always. I dont do any meditation. My meditation as everyone knows is logging in to IL and sharing my experiences, reading your ramblings whenever I feel low. Oflate some or other health problem arises and I have to go for medication. Hope now your BP is under control and all the best to you for good health always.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Hilarious ( I did not say thought provoking) one.

I can concentrate and do things. But the moment I think I have to do meditation and close my eyes, the mind jumps more than at ordinary times. With open eyes I can concentrate better than with closed eyes. Jumping monkey enters.In temple also seeing God gives more solace than closing eyes.
    My cousin's husband (they live in the opposite complex) religiously does meditation morning and evening, 45 minutes each session. But he also has hypertension problem, anger and everything else is like any other person.

Syamala

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Viji
    You are indeed a Karma Yogi. A Karma Yogi never meditates. He is forever immersed in doing his Karma. He has no need to meditate. When you sit down to share your experiences with your beloved ILites, you are in a world of your own where meditation and other forms of keeping the mind still become redundant. That's the highest form of Tapas!

Incidentally this mention of your health problems worries me. What is wrong? I hope they are nothing serious. At our age, certain malfunctions of our system are inevitable. They are the result of the usual wear and tear. Please do not feel depressed about those things.Remember the unadulterated love and respect that you enjoy in IL. That should keep you cheerful and healthy.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Syamala
    You have now reached my Guru status with this profound revelation. Most people like me for instance cannot meditate because they are making the biggest mistake of keeping their eyes closed during meditation. Our eyes are the cage that houses the Monkey inside. When our eyes are open, it languishes in the closed cage but the moment we close our eyes, the door of its cage is thrown open for it to indulge in its typically simian activities. I can understand now the reason for it.

When our eyes are open, the activities of the physical world keep our mind absorbed in them and never give a chance for the Monkey to show its presence. It can happen in very rare cases where the guy is a day dreamer who dreams with his eyes open. With the technique suggested by you, it should be a lot easier to develop 'unseeing' eyes and meditate even with wide open eyes. We close our eyes to shut out the influence of the activities of the outside world on our meditation process but in most cases, the Monkey takes over and spoils our game plan. If we can shut out the influence of the outside side world even with open eyes, that indeed is the ultimate in meditation.

Thank you Syamala. From today, my people may think I am looking at them and keep talking to me but my mind will be nestled among the highly evolved souls in the Himalayas!
    Sri

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thank you my dear Anna for your sweet message about me, but I dont know whether I am worthy of it. But it is true that when I log in to IL and share my experiences I am in a different world. Also thanks for your concern about my health. Its nothing serious. Since a year in between I had some health problems, first it was vericose veins and I had to be in the hospital for 10 days.Then I had some skin allergy for which I had to take treatment. Now I have to undergo Cataract Surgery. When I have God's and blessings from elders like you and the good wishes and prayers of ILites everything will be ok soon.

Incidentally this mention of your health problems worries me. What is wrong? I hope they are nothing serious. At our age, certain malfunctions of our system are inevitable. They are the result of the usual wear and tear. Please do not feel depressed about those things.Remember the unadulterated love and respect that you enjoy in IL. That should keep you cheerful and healthy.
    Sri[/QUOTE]