1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The versatile saree

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sandyr, Jul 7, 2009.

1. sandyr

sandyr New IL'ite

Watching and flipping through the various TV channels and looking at all the song videos I had this one thought in my mind. There is absolutely nothing more graceful among clothes for women than a well draped saree.

It seemed to me that the 5 yards of material when draped could give a woman any kind of a look she wanted depending on the way it is draped and the kind of fabric worn.

Talking of fabrics, chiffons, georgettes that look sleek, sexy, silks and cottons that look professional to mixed fabrics that are for utility purpose, from plain to dressy, a saree is the most versatile piece of clothing ever seen..

Apart from that a saree can be draped in many ways, from the regular way it is worn, to the coorgy style, like women from my community wear, to the Gujrati style, the 6 yard drape Tamilians wear, the Bengali style of draping, the way fisherwomen wear ….. all with just the few yards of material.

Well, to think of the uses the pallu has , I feel it was designed to meet every womans needs, Look at it this way, Nervous??? you can use the pallu to twist around your hand, Shy??? you can cover your face with the pallu, Running sshort of tissues ??? use the pallu to wipe your tears, no facetowel use the pallu na or more so wanna entice sumone try swishing the pallu on the man’s face hahaha multi purpose dont you think??:lol:

From Sridevi in Lamhe, Kajol in Kabhi khushi Kabbhi ghaam and Kuch Kuch hota hei, Sushmita in Main Hoon Na, Katrina in Singh is Kingg, all of them have epitomised sarees as the most feminine attire for women. I just wish women did wear them more often as we see these days we do have a tendency to stick to western attire.

To me Saree is the most flattering attire ever invented.I love draping it in different styles and wear it to suit my mood. From giving me a feminine feeling, to getting people to take me seriously at work, a saree has done wonders to the way I feel.

Sexy to formal, casual to professional, it does it job really well and as long as it is well draped, a saree looks undoubtedly the most graceful of them all. Along with covering all the flaws in the body, it manages to give one the most feminine feel.Would’nt you agree?:thumbsup

2. Stephane

Stephane Senior IL'ite

Hi sandyr,
    Good Narration. Glad to see a topic about saree....

I loveeee saree. :cheersBut I won't get time to wear it properly :hide: .Whenever I get time , I love to wear and I feel kind of Serenity
    Yes, You are correct Saree gives you most feminine feel.
    I like to wear saree whenever my hubby is with me.I don't know the reason that why I feel like that..(He travels a lot). I prefer saree for marriage functions and any religious functions.
    and here one more thing I want to tell blouse which you wear along with the saree also does matters.

3. sandyr

sandyr New IL'ite

Hey there Stephane,

True ! I forgot about the blouse..Probably its bcoz now the fashion trendz have changed so much that half our bollywood stars who wear the saree literally end up wearing something which looks...na wont say looks....wear a look alike of a bra (and thats called a blouse now..:rotfl