1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Vanishing Act

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jan 20, 2010.

1. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ojji - Enjoyed reading your blog. It matters how we live and it matters more how we leave.
    I loved the pictures of you and your wife Shankari. The first one is like bubbly champagne and the second one is like aged wine! So mellow....

2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Most interesting similies I have to admit. Bubbly champagne indeed!! Never thought of it that way. But I have a question for you. How old do you think I was in the first picture?

Aged wine sounds just about right for what we are now. Mellow, to say the least.

Thanks a ton for the comment. Must draw Shankari's attention to it.

All the best.

oj

3. greenplanet

greenplanet New IL'ite

Dear Ojaantrik, The meaning of the “Therefore grieve not for what is inevitable” has to do with what happened in Kurukshetra. Arjuna was perplexed on seeing that he had to fight and kill his own close relatives , so he was grieving and wanted to withdraw from war. Krishna had to remind him about his being a Kshatriya and his duty to fight. Then he told him that whether Arjuna kills them or not they are bound to die …but the death happens only for the material body…the soul lives on forever. For this Krishna quotes “Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.” Hence he tells Arjuna not to grieve for what is inevitable and fight. Thanks GP

4. ojaantrik

Dear GP:

Sure enough, you were clear the first time itself. I thank you for quoting these beautiful lines from the Geeta. We have all been raised on instances of such wisdom from the Geeta.

Yet, doubt invades. Not doubts about the wisdom, but one's understanding of the wisdom. The indestructibility of the soul is a matter that has concerned Hindu philosophers for thousands of years. Still, it is no easy matter to explain what constitutes a human soul.

It is one of those concepts that needs to be felt from within, not explained as in a classroom.

Since I am far too ordinary a person, lacking both in wisdom as well as intelligence, I keep questioning my understanding of the matter. I keep going back and forth between the Upanishads and the Geeta to see if I can see more light.

After a great deal of thought spread over many years, after reading the texts countlessly many times, I have come to the conclusion that ultimately it is "ego" that stands as a barrier in the way of realization. Realizing that one is a part of a whole and not an entity that exists independently of the whole should be the aim. If one can shed one's ego, the essence of the Geeta or the Upanishads will reveal itself in all its glory. Or so I think.

As I said, I may have to leave this world without proper appreciation of the need behind the illusion of my independent existence.

Thank you for drawing my attention to the great passage from the Geeta.

Wishing you all the best.

oj

5. greenplanet

greenplanet New IL'ite

Dear Ojaantrik sir, You just couldnt have said it more better. Hit the nail right on the head. I am humbled. As you said ego (more so in men than women) stands in the way of properly understanding Geeta . This is in this present life and maybe in life's to come. But for all souls this journey is a great ongoing process that one has to travel across many progressing 'lives' to come to a stage where one can not only fully understand but also 'Practice' what is given in Geeta to attain full self realisation.
    I love to discuss Geeta , bear with me. Thank you once again
    GP

6. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Dear OJJI -
    My guess is that the first picture was taken when you were in your mid-thirties. Now that I have answered your question you should tell me whether I am right or wrong.:):)

7. ojaantrik

Of course I'll tell you. I have nothing to hide. :)

I was 48 in the first picture (taken in 1991)and 63 in the second (taken in 2006 I think). The reason I look younger than my age in the first picture is that I was a regular yoga enthusiast for more than twenty years or so.

I stopped exercising regularly around 1995 and even began to drink, which I never did in the past. I stopped drinking around 2000 because I didn't enjoy it. I have been a non-smoker since 1976 or so. But I am not exercising anymore. I need to start exercising again. Waiting for the opportune moment. :hide:

oj

8. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Dear OJJI -I can believe it. When I used to live in Chennai I used to attend Yoga classes thrice a week at Krishnamacharya yoga mandiram. Six days in a week I used to walk for an hour since I was living close to the beach. I was feeling fit and good. I atleast should go for my morning walks again because I am feeling guilty after reading your reply.

9. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

Dear Ojji...
    what a well illustrated post... could vividly recall the magic show i've seen of sorcar junior... though never seen the elephant disappear... really wonder where they went???.. wish he could also help a few ladies like me to simply make all our fat deposits to vanish into....no where!!!
    K

10. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Oj san,
    At last now i know how you look. Just like any typical person i wanted to see the man whose posts i loved. My curiosity being satisfied i feel more relieved.

I haven't witnessed Sorcar's act, but i suppose most magician's have the same trick but displayed in different style. It is the style of presentation that draws the crowd.

The magician create only an illusion of vanish, but there is no illusion of vanish in our traits. They are real. Rather i prefer to say we change , we don't vanish. When we vanish we vanish all together. Nothing left even our body is gone.
    Our disappearing act from this world is something we should do it in style. We had no say when we were born at least we should disappear in the style we want.
    I love the apples that appears and disappears in this post.
    But magic is something most of us enjoy to watch. I loved David Copperfield and his acts which we kept me thrilled. When we know exactly how it is being done, i suppose the thrill vanishes.

I do wish i have the power of vanishing at least i will have some audience.
    Jaya