1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Universality of Parkinson's Law!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

HAHA.What a blog.

I loved that one, about the diseases increasing acc to the number of medicines available.:rotfl

Well i have not been keepting too well for the last 15 days, the common cold, which the plethoria of medicines, twice by my family doctor could not cure, due to which i coukld not sleep at night due to congestion troubling, muissed my morning walks and my eyes missed the feasting of the pretty ladies in the park.

Well i went to another family doctor( i have 4 of them), of course i pay their consultation fees, but never charge them for making them laugh with my corny jokes.See my greatness Sri !:bonk

And i remember those medicines made in the lab of the doctors, yes u needed two sppons of sugar to gulp down the red liquid, and we used to love to take the blotters, as we needed to blot the ink from the paper, as we used to use the ink pens, with pilot nibs.Those were the days.

Superb as usual Sri, read OJ's latest, Deepankar is his own name, and he is the hero in the story.And he had a girlfriend Betty, of which he never told u and me.And still u consider him to be yur best friend :biglaugh

REgards

kamal

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kamal
    I have spent a few days with you. Touch wood, you are not the type that falls sick at the drop of a hat. I don't think you'll fall sick without a reason. Any new additions to your family Doctor? I mean has he appointed a young new nurse or something?

Morning walks in this freezing weather? Those ladies of your neighbourhood must be 'steely' but then, to be your neighbor, one needs to be so! It is good of you not to charge your Doctor any fee for enjoying your jokes.Laughter being the best medicine, what you give them must be better medicines than what they give you!

It is said that all the world loves a lover. In your case, all the lovers look at every one else as lovers! That could be the reason how you have seen through oj! Lover or no lover, he IS my best friend!
    Sri

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniyasir,

One of the reasons I used to get confused and lost while giving a fb to your post are the fbs and the resulting interactions! They used to just drown me in mirth and magic that I often forgot what the original post was all about!! ( besides the onset of Alzheimer:hide:)

I was so fascinated with Oj-da's fb and suffered a bout of inferiority complex not being able to make much of it, it was pure French or Japanese for me, though in fact it was economics, or, was it?! I was curious to read your reply to him.

Needless to say that only one mastermind recognizes the other and I thoroughly enjoyed your very hilarious reply. And then came Kamalji adding to the jest.

If there was a nomination for the best wits in IL or for that matter, anywhere, your repartee here should be nominated and it will win hands down.

It was all my pure pure pleasure:) I am priveleged indeed!

L, Kamla

4. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    When Noah built his Ark at the behest of the Almighty, he was told to look for a Dove signifying the end of the Deluge and to understand that he was free to set foot again on the saved land. Accordingly he remained closeted in the Ark with all the pairs of God's creations while it rained and rained outside destroying every living being save the chosen ones. Noah would remain standing at the window of the Ark. The rains finally abated and the Dove was sighted at the distant horizon. The highly excited Noah put his hand out with his index finger extended for the Dove to alight on. His feelings were indescribable. He felt elated that he was the chosen one to ensure the continuance of the earth. He was highly concerned when there were no indications of the Deluge abating. The sight of the Dove gladdened his heart so much that it would have burst with joy.

Your FBs are like the Dove that visited Noah. They make me feel like the Chosen One! They are, like that Dove, a symbol of hope. They make me feel wanted. What can gladden the heart of a senile man more?
    Sri

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,
    :thumbsup to Parkinson.
    I can relate it to the 'last-minute' personalities, who wait till the deadline comes and do things in a hurry, giving an excuse that they had other works to do and keep this one pending, giving an illusion that work is expanding, you can include me in this..:hide: always, work, work, it expands like a akshaya pathram but time is not:rant.

sriniketan

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya sir,

I got to read all the interesting fb's due to my delayed visit here.
    No, I am not prolonging the work because of the time available. Even if I try to do three things at the same time trying to squeeze the minutes and hours, work just keeps expanding.

So true! and the fancy names too!

Sir, so also the choices of foods available!

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear sir,

I am awed!

No words to describe my feelings, have both a big smile pasted across my face and tears in my eyes!

I feel like the dove skiing across the blue sky above the azure waters, simply elated:)

:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

L, Kamla

8. Cheeniya

My dear Sri

That's a great statement. I also rummaged through my limited repertoire of scriptural learning but no where I could find a reference to people using the 'Akshaya Patram' for additional or unlimited time. It therefore follows that the Akshaya Patrams and Kalpa Vrikshas can give everything but Time.

Time being unalterable or irretrievable, it is only the Work that can measure upto Time!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Usha

There is a saying attributed to Robert C. Edwards that "If you want work well done, select a busy person- the other kind has no time!"

The above statement of yours only reconfirms Robert's saying! This is a common observation that in any given situation, if there is an extra piece of work to be done, people usually go to a willing person who may be already overworking. Because every one knows that only such people will not mind an additional workload! In their case, work will keep on expanding!
    Sri

10. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    As a homemaker, innocent/ignorant of Economics , I am only acutely aware of the veracity of the fact that Work Expands to fill the Time Available ; (and most of the time, it overgrows to spill over available time too !) Sigh ! And the Husband, poor man, will attest to the fact that Expenditure Expands to Consume Available Income ( and still demand more).
    Gadgets meant to lessen work induce more work; energy- saving bulbs actually lead us to consume more energy because we tend to use them more as they consume less......dear me ! I guess neither Parkinson, nor Amartya Sen or your friend OJ ( with his inscrutable Equation:bang ) can really find a pithy " Law" or "Principle" to describe the muddles and conundrums a homemaker gets into these days.
    :drowning
    I like that Doctor K.Rao , his dear Compounder and his simple one-elixir-fixes-all pharmacy ! Now, whether we have all those dreaded diseases or not, one just has to go and show one's face at the consulting room to be immediately hauled off and run through a series of evil looking contraptions just to RULE OUT that one doesn't have half a dozen diseases that came from half a dozen countries ! So you see, here too the venerable Parkinson pokes his nose : The Number Of Patients Needing ECG, MRI , CT scans,PET Imaging etc Always Swells to fill up Available Machines !