1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Twentieth Wife

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Naveena, May 17, 2007.

1. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Hi Booklovers

I recently read this novel "The twentieth wife" by Indu Sundaresan. Its an excellent work. I was so engrossed in it that I completed it in one and a half days, reading at a stretch. Its very good. Its the story of the Mughal royal family, specifically, that of Queen Noor Jahan Begum, Emperor Jahangir's TWENTIETH wife. I loved reading it.

Has anyone read this? If not, its worth reading..

Bye.
    Veena.

2. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Veena,

Thanx for sharing with us. I'll sure going to read it, right now i'm reading "Daddy" by danielle steel really very interesting novel.

3. alexann

alexann New IL'ite

Hi Veena...
    iam interested to read that... wow..20th wife...
    thanks
    Ann Alex

4. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Hi Ann

Nice to see your response. The book is really good and I hope you will feel the same. The title is also quite interesting. It was common for the kings to marry many times. It is said that the great emperor had more than 300 wives. His son Emperor Jahangir marries his love Mehrunnisa when she was a widow and that would be his 20th marriage. She was his 20th wife and he never marries again. The book says it was rare for a king to marry for love, their marriages being marriages for convenience. The narration is very good and holding.

Happy reading.

Veena

3 people like this.
  5. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I too have read this book and loved it. The sequel - 'a feast of roses' is good too. do read it to get a complete picture of noorjehan's life and times.

Mythraeyi

6. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Hi Mythraeyi

Good to know that you too loved The Twentieth Wife. I read the Feast of Roses also. Both made a very good reading.

Veena.

7. SunitaGN

SunitaGN New IL'ite

Me too... I read The Twentieth Wife in 4 days... then went straight to Barnes and Nobles to buy The Feast of Roses and finished that in 4 days!

I wrote an email to Indu Sundaresan and she replied with a schedule of her readings near my town.. Unfortunately I could not go since it was in the middle of the week ... but I am following her schedule and hope to visit her reading soon. In her email she suggested me to read her "Splendour of Silence" and I have purchased it. It will be my next read :)

Happy reading everyone!

Sunita

8. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

Naveenajee,

I am a practicing advocate in Gujarat High Court. I write short stories, too. If you are interested in reading short story, then please go to the blog section and read the story that I have posted today as a blog. Or click on the following link :
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/blogs/navaljee/my-mother-s-remarriage-914/

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. swathiv

swathiv New IL'ite

I have purchased 'Splendour of silence' some time back and read half of it. Still have to finish it. I like 'Indu sundaresan's writing style'.
    I heard about 'Twentieth wife' also. will check in my local library if they have any copies of it.

10. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

I enjoyed reading "Twentieth wife", but found "Splendor of Silence" not to the mark. I emailed to her and she kept me updated about her new book "In the convent of Little Flowers".