1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The trauma of being the "only DIL" in in laws family

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by blessed, Jan 30, 2010.

1. vijiananthu

vijiananthu Gold IL'ite

Hi! I can understand your feelings and anger because I am also in the same situation !

My husband is the only son and has three sisters - 2 elder and 1 younger.
    1st elder SIS has only one daughter and she left the daughter in our place since her school is nearby.
    2nd elder SIS was staying in a far away place. My MIL could not bear it and she told her to come here and stay with them. So, she has also come here with her two kids.
    The younger SIS's husband is in abroad so she is also staying with us with her son.

Just imagine how the house will be! FIL, MIL, 2 SILs and SIL's kids - there are 10 members in the family including me and my DH.

My MIL likes her daughters very much and she does not scold her daughters or grand children for whatever they do.

As you said, my MIL wants her son to be dutiful and respectful to his sisters and BILs. He is responsible for booking tickets, droping them in rail/bus station, droping the kids in their schools, go with them for purchase, etc. etc. But my DH is also like that. He likes doing all this to his sisters and kids. I don't blame him. Let him do. But I feel so ashamed when he does not get the same kind of treatment from others. Even if I tell this to my DH, he is not accepting it

I get angry when I don't get any private time with my DH and for my personal needs. My MIL does not want her daughters feel bad about their living in their Mom's place. If my husband says anything about it, she will start schold him and threaten him that she will leave the house.

I feel left out in this family. Many times I have fought with my DH about 'Why did he marry me when he cannot live his own life'. I have sacrified a lot. I cannot have my favourite food when I want, I cannot do anything except what she tells me, I cannot go out with my DH (otherwise she will keep a long face when we return and she will not talk me to for 4-5 days).
    My only relaxation is my office. Otherwise I would have gone mad.

I have let out al my feelings here. Because I cannot tell this my mother or my bro and sis. Becuase they are under the impression that 'I am leading a happy life with my DH and others in a big joint family' and I do not want to spoil their happiness.