1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Touch

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 11, 2007.

1. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Humorous writeup! But nowadays, we just add the tip in the card slip! I am reminded of my grandfather, who used to give loans to office colleagues. He taught me the importance of living within one's means.

Raji

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

If you leave trails behind your actions, you pay a heavy price for it later. It is unfortunate that you were forced to yield to the pressure of Govindu due to small acts of pleasure perhaps meant a lot to you when you were young. Regarding tips, when I migrated to the United States, I was told whether I tip the waiters well or not, I was told never to become verbal with them for minor errors they make like pouring water into my pant or shirt or spilling something. I understand that they apologize in person and try to please in the presence of other guests but they make sure when they serve food, they spit on it before bringing it to the table. This terrorized me for a long time and hence I used to not only be very patient and nice to the bearers but also tip them well.

Viswa

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa
    During my long march through life, I have come across several modes of vendetta. Some of them are fictional, some real. I always thought that the Gabbar Singh of Sholay was the ultimate in vendetta if you keep aside the kind of games played by God Father and his clan. But this spitting on the food beats them all hollow! Being a fair minded person, I always advocate that any retaliatory action should not be excessive and must be in proportion to the original action of the other party. But this is sheer horror!
    Sri

4. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Found it interesting Cheeniya Sir - Govindu and your still yielding to him. But I believe its more of mercy than the fear of a blackmail. Pushing myself once more:

"Yet again he had come for a loan
    Oh! How I wish to be left alone!"
    Lamented Mr. X when he saw
    Mr.Y who waved and said "hi da!"

"You know, I've been unlucky
    All these years in my life but
    The only solace that I ever see
    Is to have you as friend!, he said.

"To whichever friend's place I go,
    Am shooed as if I were a crow.
    From you I can always borrow.
    And you are like a rare sparrow!"

I felt so lovely and warm because,
    Not many appreciate me, you know?
    Even if I fight for a good cause,
    I'm ignored like yesterday's snow.

I ended up poorer by an amount
    'n' times than what I thought before.
    I have to write off that amount
    I know too. Its just like before.
    -rgs

5. Cheeniya

My dear RGS
    This thread of mine is my favourite. Every time I read it, I am transported back to my college days. My college life is itself enough to provide me material for another 100 threads but they will not be of interest for anyone but me! You are right about Govindu. I am really extremely fond of him despite his idiosyncrasies, the reason being, as you have rightly pointed out, that I have always been a hero for him!
    Sri !

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Enjoyed reading your post. When I read about Govindu it reminded about a peon in our office whom when we call him to do some work he will say one minute and will never come back immediately. When asked he will give some excuse. Like Coffee Lover has mentioned you have written nicely about Romance. I remember when I was working in Hyderabad we never used to talk to our office colleagues(men) when we used to meet them outside. If a girl and boy walk together in a road they mistake them for lovers or husband and wife. Me and my second brother used to go to office together and two three people thought we were lovers.

When my sister got married and settled down in Delhi, her husband's cousin sister was very friendly with a guy and so they sent her to native place. From there both used to exchange letters but he used to mention girl's name so noone knew about it. Finally they got married running away from the house.

7. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    Every office will have a Govindu with special characteristics of his own! Mine is basically a good hearted chap with a sense of humour but the only problem with him is that he is forever running short of money!

Romance is taking bizarre forms these days. In our days we believed that it was better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all. Now the jilted lovers go to the extent of killing! Yesterday in Chennai, a jilted lover killed the girl by slitting her throat in a busy thoroughfare in broad day light and committed suicide by stabbing himself! I refuse to believe this is romance.
    sri