1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

the top most reasons for the indians settling abroad

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shree, Jan 29, 2009.

1. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi tranquility,

wonderful posts. it did really touch my heart. u r very true in that citizen part. keep posting.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Tranquility,
    I totally agree with you. Even after becoming a US cit, I still found racial discrimination at whatever level bothered me. The best motto is make the money and get out while you can!

L

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi L,

good motto. it will take some time to realise for some of them who might want to settle down here. east or west home country is best.

4. tranquility

tranquility Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shree and Laks09,

Good to know some people share same thoughts as mine... :) Thanks for ur comments...:thumbsup

5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi ladies,
    Its a nice discussion.Its better if people who don't like move out of US soon.There are tons of people who are living without job in US.So all in all its gain for India and US if people return to their respective places because people who move back can avaoid brain drain in India and people without job will start getting job in US.

Thanks
    Mangai

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  6. Laks09

Hi Mangaii,
    I wish it was easy to pack a bag and leave this minute!
    Even if there are people who want to move they are going to wait it out to tide over the bad time so they can find good positions in India. I really feel bad for those without jobs though. It must be really tough.

Laks

7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

The purpose of OCI is for people to maintain their status in home country.
    I feel this thread is not dedicated to why people want to settle outside India but rather finding fault with people who choose to make such decisions.

There are lots of pros and cons but country like India need investment from NRI's .Its a good thing because it improves the economy.So whats wrong in people settling abroad investing property in India.

Thanks
    Mangai

8. tranquility

Well, this thread is definately about "why" people want to settle outside India".. But when the discussion starts , there will be people who chip in their personal views as well ...
    As far as OCI is concerned, it is very intruguing for me to understand that "settled abroad" people still want to maintain their status in home country. Its like having the cake and eating it too !!
    I agree definately about pros and cons about NRI investments in India. However, no NRI invests in India to improve the "economy"of the country. Its definately for his or her personal motive.
    Now that the question is raised about "whats wrong in NRI's investing in India?" , the wrong is that, due to NRI investments, property rates in India are increasing 3 folds than the original rate and the normal Indian citizen finds it difficult to buy a 1 or 2 bedroom flat due to the inflated rates. Now is the NRI not butchering the probablities of the "fellow Indian?" Well, the property rates statement that i have just made is proof based and hence there is no way anyone can deny it. Looks like I've hurt the sentiment of some "settled abroad fellowmates !!" and rubbed them the wrong way !:eek:mg: But take it :cool2: ladies.. discussions are bound to waver and cannot be point-specific..
    To give an eg -- the thread is about "why people want to settle abroad".. but there area also viewpoints like.. "Its better if people who don't like move out of US soon.There are tons of people who are living without job in US.So all in all its gain for India and US if people return to their respective places because people who move back can avaoid brain drain in India and people without job will start getting job in US.":)

9. Laks09

Tranquility - Everyone thinks about some gain, right? So then there is nothing wrong in investing in India. The prices went up, not because of NRI investments alone it was because of the booming Indian economy.Think about OUTSOURCING - the very foreign investment that helped a lot of Indians secure highly paid jobs and get the best lifestyle possible. It helped boost the country's economy too. Of course, no one does charity. They outsource because of the cost benefit.

Traquility, from personal experience, the so called "fellow Indians" are leading a lifestyle that I was awestruck with when I returned. Indians are definitely living it up and I'm happy for that. I didn't realize it until I moved, you will see the change too when you decide to live here.

Mangaii - My intent was not to critize Indians settled abroad. Everything I have today is because I lived in America and I'll never bad mouth my adopted country. Sorry if I inadvertently hurt you, that was not the intention.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  10. tranquility

Well, Laks09 ... I never spoke about the morality grounds of investment in India ... did I ? I only said that people do invest in India chiefly for their own personal reasons and have nothing to do with the economy. The economy gaining some grounds on these investments is mainly an effect and not the cause. I also strictly believe that the chief reason for working over here or even settling out here is financial gain.

As regards to the statement I made earlier, here are some articles which show that property prices in India is directly proportional to NRI investment even in smaller cities like Kochi and Mohali .. if you browse the site, you will find many more examples of the same ....

NRI Investment in Kochi on the rise

NRIs eyeing Mohali

I agree to your viewpoint of "Indians living it up" on account of improved paypackets and a growing economy (thanks to the IT revolution !!). I'm all for that !! However the only point in which I wanted some insight on is - why do people who want to settle out here (I'm not talking about people working abroad for few years) still want to keep India as their second home .... is it some inner fear of what may happen to them tomorrow inspite of being a naturalized citizen .... or is it that their investment in India is only for the pupose of making money by exploiting some fellow indians later at a higher price (talk of improving the economy) or is it that over a period of time, people start to miss the very things in India which they once despised strongly while moving out ?

I do not have anything personal against anyone either .... it's just that I'm curious about the "how & why" of people rationalizing their actions ....

Cheers

:cheers