1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

the top most reasons for the indians settling abroad

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shree, Jan 29, 2009.

1. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi minu,

thanx for stepping in. and for the post. u r very correct India is the best place to settle down only for those who really value their loved ones more than the money and the comfort and the quality of life what they enjoy in other countries.

i agree with the fact that the medical is too expensive but the service what we get for that is worth paying that money in most of the occasions. this is my own experience. i donot know about other countries but in US they give more importance to the life. if it is emergency then they mean it. i know the trend is slowly changing even in India.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi kavitha,

good one. thanx for stepping in and for the post.

3. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi bujji,

i did like your 2 cents. me tooo the same way. i want to lead a contented life, also we should always move towards our goal.

2]Hello Shree,

Apart from your reasons, I can add
    Strict rules in driving which avoids accidents mostly
    No bribe in government offices(I assume so)

Just my 2 cents:
    I prefer medium quality life, irresponsible government with my loved ones
    to quality life without any love at all.[/QUOTE]

4. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi rajeshwari,

u r very true. the medical facility cannot be compared. but even in India it is slowly changing though it will take long time. i think lack of efficiency in almost all the fields is the cause for most of the problems. it will change.

5. alaivani

alaivani Senior IL'ite

nice thread!!! creative minds come up with nice discussions!!

As an American who lived in India now married to an Indian I have thoughts.. :)

I am pasting the original list here for my reference (below)

My reasons for wanting to be in America:
    My family is here of course.
    Privacy from people (i am sure people on the street have all to say about An American married to an Indian!)
    good living standard (this is defined by most of the items in the list below)

1. comfort
    2. luxury
    3. more privacy.
    4. good education
    for the kids.
    5. good standard of living.
    6. less pollution
    7. more safety
    8. good facilities
    9. good roads
    10. good drivers

i of course was born here and am more comfortable here
    better career path and satisfaction for my husband
    short commute times and easy to access all stores, etc (Rochester NY)
    I like America because you are free to be involved in learning any culture and religion you want... you can meet people from all over the world, very cosmo politan.
    Life is easy and predictable for the most part....but it's a disadvantage also..

Reasons to settle in India
    In other ways Indians are more tolerant of different religions and cultures...means there is not one culture that everyone in India is supposed to follow or does follow. It's based on religion, community, region, though there is overarching culture... (ex. can you imagine a celebration like Thanksgiving in India- one holiday everyone across India stops and shuts down everything and celebrates the same holiday in the name of food? ;)
    to be close to my husbands family
    to be challenged to live a life of surprises everyday and learn new things... (esp for me as an American I'd be taken out of my comfort zone- and could be true for those Indians who have been living out of India a long time and go back)
    more respect to elders in India...parents have more respect in India...
    Of course some material aspects of India appeal to me- easier to buy and wear Indian dress (esp sari which I love to wear) buy Indian veggies (I miss fresh drumstick and sugarcane for example)
    Celebrating holidays in India- there we can celebrate on the day it falls and there is a day off!! Would love to be there for Pongal, Onam, etc etc!!!Ah...
    The spontaneity of life in India- yes it doesn't make for an easier life as in US- there are power cuts, people drop by without calling and water may not always be easy to come by- but it's those frustrations and the way time is viewed in India that are some unique aspects of India...

some mentioned make more money here.. Maybe it is true but it's relative sometimes also. Make more money here but costs more to live here... ;)

some thoughts..
    Thanks.
    Jennifer

6. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi jennifer,

thanx for stepping in and for your reply. good points.

7. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

its just six months since been here and till now i dont feel a belonging,what riches and luxurious gives happiness without our loved ones to share it,its just like a vacation spot,well for me the biggest reason is money,
    even though medical is much expensive,the facilities are uncomparable,and life is much is easier here...
    and then practically everything seems perfect here...but still i prefer the crowds,the temple festivals,the frequents weddings,relatives and friends get togethers..
    the smell of the soil and air that gives a heavenly feeling....
    last day i watched delhi 6,there is one song which has the studio set up as the streets in the times square,the yellow autorickahaws,and big banyan tree on the side of road which pooja happens,and karva chauthe still exists...something similar to that i wish we have good roads,good hospital facility, clean environment without losing the very essence of indian society....!!

hope i change over to start loving this place.....

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shree,
    I guess Money would have been #1 on my list if I had stayed back in the US. The other thing would have been work/life balance but then I found an employer that provided me the same flexibility I had in the US, so I'll have to strike that out! The roads, well now that's the only killer here but we have learned to work around it.
    I'm not sure about safety, before 26/11 I was pretty sure India was the safe haven I was looking for but now I guess no country is safe from terrorists!

All the other things are available in India - my life is more luxurious and comfortable here. I enjoy a better life style here, I no longer have to commute 1.5 hrs one way to work!!!! Even if I had to commute, I can afford a driver.
    I do have my privacy(we live in a different town away from both our parents). We have exemplary schools here, my lil one goes to a school that is way better than her US public school(Thank God I can afford it).

1 person likes this.
  9. tranquility

tranquility Bronze IL'ite

I appreciate the honest and frank reply from keshavkutts..:thumbsup But as far as good education is concerened, I have my doubts... The primary education which actually makes the base of a child is not good here. Yes, the post graduation courses are definately good..

10. tranquility

tranquility Bronze IL'ite

Well.. my views are: Its not such a good place to "settle ". Because in trying times, u will always be looked upon as an outsider. U will never be accepted as the citizen of that country come what may..(mark my words ladies..) Yes, lawfully one may be a citizen.. but.. there are so many ifs and buts.. I've seen the so called "citizens" still run to Indian embassies for OCI certificates Why? why are people who have settled abroad, investing in property in India? DO they heart of heart still think that they may have to return back one day?