1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"The Tinker, The MBA And The Upholsterer" by Varalotti Rengasamy

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Induslady, Dec 21, 2005.

1. nuggehallipankaja

nuggehallipankaja New IL'ite

enjoyed

Dear Sridhar,

Your observation-power is amazing! Shakespere has said

somewhere that a writer should develop faculty of

observation; You have it by nature. The stray instances

inspires in its own way; i enjoy the chat between you

people-I prefer it to joining the voices. How did I miss

such a beautiful aticle in D.H?

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

The tinker, the MBA and the Upholsterer

Dear Varalotti,

I too meant that money is not everything. But I could not express my feelings as good as you do. I write in a very ordinary manner. So this goof up. I agree with you fully. Actually in your stories, I find a very understanding person of the humankind, especially women. That is why you have so many fan following. My husband always says that I am just at home, I have all the time in the world. But he cannot manage on his own even for a day.
    May your tribe increase.
    Thnks for correcting me.
    Varloo

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Accolades From An Award Winning Writer!

Dear Pankaja,
    thanks for the nice words. When it comes you the effect of the words are manifold.
    In fact I have been wondering for, let's say the past six, seven years as to what constitutes a successful career. Money, perks, working in an exotic location are immaterial. Getting inherent satisfaction from the work tops the priority list. And those who get it - whether they are tinkers, potters or uphosterers - have a happy career. And those who don't are failures in life though they may be CEOs, CFOs or hold similar high-flying jobs.
    I was talking to a Master Printer of Madurai the other day. The man has some crores under his belt and travels abroad frequently. In a very sober moment he commented - Sridhar, when I design a visiting card for my customer and the customer says its good and comes back again - I can't equal the happiness to anything else. You might have guessed that the customer was none other than yours truly.
    Thanks for the nice words, Pankaja.
    sridhar

4. varalotti

Sorry Varloo, I didn't mean to hurt you!

Sorry, Varloo, I didn't correct you as such. I just added to your observations. You very rightly said that people focus too much on wealth these days. You also said that rich are not happy while many poor people are happy. That's perfectly true. As in the case of my article the poor tinker was very happy. And I observed one more thing. Unlike the rich MBA the poor tinker did not slog for long hours. He will start the work by 9:30 and end it by 5:30. He will take precisely fortyfive minutes for lunch. At the time the work was going on I was auditing the accounts of that company and so I had the pleasure of observing his working.
    Another thing I noticed was that when he was doing his work he won't even consider people standing and watching him. He will not speak at all. And once when the Accountant of the company and I were talking to him during lunch time, he spoke of "nerves" in the sheet metal body of the car. We told him that we couldn't believe that. Then he proved. He hit the hammer some where near the hood.It created a dent some 2 feet away in the body of the car.
    Now let's come to what I wanted to say. I have also come across some very poor persons who hate their work. And who do not do their work happily. You might have met umpteen number of irritated auto-drivers, the cribbing maids and so on. I just wanted to add that poverty is not a guarantee for happiness nor are riches a block to happiness.
    I wanted to substantiate your point even more and did not want to correct it or point any mistake.
    When it comes to life we are perfectly equal, Varloo. I have learnt a lot from your responses and the real-life incidents you have quoted (in fact I have stored some of them for use in future articles/short stories with due credit to your name) as you do from my writings. In fact this is such a wonderful forum where every one learns from every other person. So there's no question of your goofing up or something.
    If I had by any chance conveyed such an idea to you, I apologise.
    regards,
    sridhar

5. gjanani

gjanani New IL'ite

Amazing Article

Amazing article... your observation is absolutely fascinating... this is one of the best pieces of writing I have read in a very very long time!!

Thanks for the great read.

Smiles,
    Janani

6. varalotti

Thanks Janani

Thanks a ton Janani for the nice words. Coming from a writer like you it has added weight.
    thanks,
    sridhar