1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The tendency to stray!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vysan
    Credit cards in the hands of an unscrupulous person can be as disastrous asa 'Pagadai' (Dice) in the hands of Dharma. Incidentally, that game of dice that caused the Kurukshetra War shows Dharma in poor light! But then, Chitvish might justify it quoting profusely from Gita! And sorry for the digression!
    You are lucky to have a very sober wife and you are one of the very few who does not have to earn faster than your wife spends!
    That example of people spending 90% of their salary on state-of-the-art mobile phones and cars is very typical of the neorich! They should read about Warren Buffet who ranks among the first ten richest men in the world. Here is a brief overview:

He still lives in the same small 3-bedroom house in mid-town
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Omaha</st1:place></st1:City> , that he bought after he got married 50 years ago. He says that he has everything he needs in that house. His house does not have a wall or a fence.
    He drives his own car everywhere and does not have a driver or security people around him.
    He never travels by private jet, although he owns the world's largest private jet company.
    His company, Berkshire Hathaway, owns 63 companies.
    He writes only one letter each year to the CEOs of these
    companies, giving them goals for the year. He never holds meetings or
    calls them on a regular basis.
    He has given his CEO's only two rules. Rule number 1: do not
    lose any of your share holder's money. Rule number 2: Do not forget rule
    number 1.
    He does not socialize with the high society crowd. His past
    time after he gets home is to make himself some pop corn and watch
    Television.
    Bill Gates, the world's richest man met him for the first time
    only 5 years ago. Bill Gates did not think he had anything in common
    with Warren Buffet. So he had scheduled his meeting only for half
    hour.But when Gates met him, the meeting lasted for ten hours and Bill
    Gates became a devotee of Warren Buffet.
    Warren Buffet does not carry a cell phone, nor has a
    computer on his desk. His advice to young people: "Stay away from credit cards and invest in yourself and
    Remember:
    A. Money doesn't create man but it is the man who created
    money.
    B. Live your life as simple as you are.
    C. Don't do what others say, just listen them, but do what you
    feel good.
    D. Don't go on brand name; just wear those things in which u
    feel comfortable.
    E. Don't waste your money on unnecessary things; just spend on
    them who really in need rather.
    F. After all it's your life then why give chance to others to
    rule our life."

Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    Please let me know when you go shopping next! I would like to come with you! I too have this habit of spending my money fast and returning home without buying the things originally intended! You seem to be the proverbial friend in need!
    That bit about your hubby's cousin's penn paarkum padalam! Your aunt is indeed extremely worldly-wise:-D
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Sunkan
    That was indeed a very sweet compliment and thank you very much for it.
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    In my student days, there was a part of our exam process called viva voce and I used to be very nervous about facing it. Maybe this early fear had caused a general distaste for anything which had a viva in its name!
    Sri

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear sri,
    nothing sweet abt it, we both know your too good..sunkan

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Before posting my reply, I really wanted to read as many replies as I can and see what other fellow ILs say.

I have started feeling elated now that I am not doing anything wrong in doing market research. Infact my hubby used to get irritated. But now has understood things. I love shopping- but window shopping. I love to stroll through Pondy Bazaar or Ranganathan Street and even Usman Road just to know what items are there. But gone are those days as my hubby hates crowds and I get irritated if the kids create a tantrum wanting some toys seen in the pavement. But still now given an opportunity I would love to do such type of window shopping not only in T. Nagar area but also in the Parrys Corner where there are lots of wholesale markets and Burma Bazaar too.

Also my husband used to get branded shirts and trousers. Of course he looks so good and I too felt better in front of our relatives and my relatives in particular. But when reality struck, he stopped getting branded shirts and trousers but started going in for materials or even the less branded ones or seconds for one simple reason that his job demands more of soiled dress (he is in the sales line).

Though we dont follow a strict budget we definitely make sure that when getting products for household we definitely do market research. Now a days we have started doing the same for vegetables and groceries too. In fact my husband too has joined hands in the market research. We get the products according to the availability and ofcourse certain products are def available only in supermarkets and not in the corner street shop. So we go for that. We do gain a lot by that.

7. Cheeniya

Dear Rajmi
    There is nothing wrong in doing a bit of market research before we embark on a shopping spree! As a matter of fact, I find that the tendency to bargain is more among the affluent than the middle class. If an affluent person bargains, people look at him with awe and write articles about him and if a middle class person does it, he is dismissed as a 'savu grakki' I dont think we should let such criticism make us pay more than we should.
    Sri

8. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I agree with every word of yours. I just expressed what has happened to me to indicate, that in todays world people are being evaluated with their posessions and how they appear. I have to thank my wife...... Even in school i have not done so much mathematics / accounting that i have to explain to her for every penny I spent...... Pls dont tell her that i said this..... NO. She ensures that I dont go overboard....

thanks onceagain
    Veda

9. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I agree with every word of yours. I just expressed what has happened to me to indicate, that in todays world people are being evaluated with their posessions and how they appear. I have to thank my wife...... Even in school i have not done so much mathematics / accounting that i have to explain to her for every penny I spent...... Pls dont tell her that i said this..... NO. She ensures that I dont go overboard....

thanks onceagain
    Veda

10. Cheeniya

Dear Vysan
    Austerity is a great virtue. It's appaling how the multinationals are playing on the mindset of Indian consumer! I know people who keep changing their cars and mobile phones almost on a monthly basis. It is all so mindless.
    It's indeed a bliss if the husband or the wife has a sobering effect on the other. I would prefer it to be the wife for if the man is calculative, he will be branded a miser! No one will blame the wife if she is very thrifty.
    May both of you serve as role model for all the ILites!
    Sri