1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The tendency to stray!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Roopa
    That was an illuminating extension of what I tried to convey. For a brand to achieve a status symbol, a lot of money is spent by the manufacturer on sales promotions and all these expenses are recovered only from the consumer. I was surprised to hear that most of the branded items from refrigerators, airconditioners to footwear are manufactured by small industries.
    Brand pursuit is a sure sign of gullibility!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Manju
    Eye candies and huge disposable income about sum up the whole scenario so well that only you are capable of!
    Talking of value addition, you stand out! My posts without your value addition would just be Angannan's Pottikadai stuff!
    sri

3. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri sir,

I am quite sure with or without my head you can write poetry. Only you might not have tried so far. But, without your head I cannot write like you and I have tried it out.:)

முயன்றால் பாட வரும் கவிதைகள்
    முயன்றாலும் முக்கினாலும் முனகினாலும்
    முக்காலும் முடியாது சீனியா போல் எழுத
    முதன்மையான கட்டுரைகள்
    என்று சொல்ல தலை ஆய கடமைப் படடுள்ளேன்

Regards,

TDU

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  4. Tamildownunder

Dear Cheeniya,

On the topic of brand conciousness, I remember the case study we had in our marketing management course. The study was with particular reference to two famous brand of drinks, namely Horlicks and Viva. Ofcourse, Horlicks is an International brand and I have not seen Viva being sold outside India. The difference between the drinks is remarkable. In terms of composition, constitution, nutrition values both are identical. Whereas Horlicks does not dissolve so quickly and it leaves lumps, Viva dissolves quickly. People do not know this difference and when it comes to buying a malt based drink buy Horlicks blindly because of brand conciousness. Strangely our study showed that Tamil Nadu people are more receptive to new brands and Viva was being sold equally well here as against other states.

Regards,

TDU

5. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

The topic is great. Branded Vs Unbranded with so many people giving their views. I am new to this thread, so u have to excuse me if there are any errors in my communication.

I had this great experience. I had come to Chennai for my mothers first year D anniversary. My sister lives in Annanagar. So in the evening took a cab to drop her. I was in my dothi & t shirt and slippers. Since we have to buy some dress for the function we went to a big shop branded which had come recently there. Me & my sister wen through the materials... For the pant & **** for my size we couldnt locate it..... when we asked the sales people they didnt even respond properly........ Having come to the shop and want of time to explore we had to dig ourselves in and try to find a couple of pant & shirts..... The sales people we sceptical about the price and i dont know what they thought.... When the saw my AMEX card for payment the whole scenario changed..... the response was swift and the sales people who shied away came forward to keep the luggage till the car........

I am a person who buys spontaneously... mathlab... i like it i buy it... it is for my satisfaction... that is what i tell my wife also... though she is very cost concious and evealuate 10 times about its utility... value etc.

Though we may say we are not brand concious and we dont want to show off for others.... at times we ar left with no options...

Here, in Muscat, there are people who the moment they get a job the first thing they do is they take a loan and buy 1. the latest mobile 2. the highfunda car. They will pay 90% of the salary to the loan.....

This is being the part of life.............

nice one.....

Veda

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya sir,

Nice topic. Tendency to stray... you have given a broad title but have restricted it to shopping. so let it be.

I think today we are more impulsive shoppers. I have a friend, who is so impulsive, she will buy a shirt just because she liked it that moment.

this example.... is to show. both me and my friend had planned to visit this mall which had recently opened. my friend got a 2000k from hubby to spent and i was given 5000k by my hubby(sometimes he is so stunned that i go shopping that he has to give $$$$.) then we went to the mall, my friend being impulsive, had finished filling her trolley. beside her my trolley had very few items (i dont want to be the brunt of more laugh by telling what they were) which were on offer like 1+1. so the time to pay the bill i had to lend my friend 3000k. i spent rs.250 (I got a nice ... for being so stingy..from my husband that is another topic.)
    Came home and she was telling her husband see, shanthi's husband has given her 5k and u gave me only 2k. for that my friend's husband said , he knows that his money is safe.... :mrgreen:
    The problem with me is i am dont indulge much. I make a list and buy accordingly.

Regarding a son-in-law, i remember, my husband's cousin's pen parkkum padalam. the cousin and the guy ,they liked each other to the extent they finished discussing the transfer, the ... everythinng and they went without asking any dowry or anything.things were finalised within a hour. then periamma says i have suspicions please go and check if he is limping. i feel so.:mad: . so husband dear and my fil had to go to the guys place, asadu valichified and marked his height and check if he had a limp. at present he is mr.cousin.

UItimately, I have the tendency to stray from my topic at hand, and have to restrict myself.:mrgreen:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  7. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    You are right about my not taking any efforts to write poetry! I am a fan of
    WH Auden and whenever I sit down to write poetry, he scares me out of my wits.
    I just give a sample stanza from his Lullaby:

Soul and body have no bounds:
    To lovers as they lie upon
    Her tolerant enchanted slope
    In their ordinary swoon,
    Grave the vision Venus sends
    Of supernatural sympathy,
    Universal love and hope;
    While an abstract insight wakes
    Among the glaciers and the rocks
    The hermit's carnal ecstasy.

Who would ever try his hand at poetry after reading stuff like that!
    Having said that, I did write a poem once during my Presidency College days. It was an absolutely purile stuff with the first letter of each line combining to make the name of a girl who I used to feel very mushy about. When she read it and gave me a stern warning, all my love was snuffed out instantly like a live cigarette butt under a heavy military shoe!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    You are dead right about the insolubility of Horlicks. I used to get highly frustrated while making myself a cup of that sticky beverage. It's not just its tendency to remain stubborn that frustrates me but its tendency to cling to the bottom of the cup as some kind of araldite! It looks more like a strategic alliance between the cup and Horlicks against the hot milk. Manyatime I scoop out the sticky lump and eat it but let me tell you that it is more difficult to eat it than an Eclair! Maybe because of this unfriendly attitude of Horlicks, the manufacturers came out with the ad, 'Appidiye saptuduven'!

Do you know that there are Horlicks mixers, a stainless steel vessel on the lines of an egg beater available in the market? The contraption is based on the principle 'If cajolling fails, beat the hell out of it'!
    Sri

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

here i join you TDU,
    none like him, who knows the pulse and beats along..sunkan

10. Tamildownunder

Dear Sri sir,

You have proved that I am dead right about the brand consciousness. It seems you have not tried Viva which is same as Horlics, but dissolves instantaneously.
    The poetry you have given scares me also. Generally, English poets and writers of Victorian era use bombastic English. But, I like simple poetry of Wordsworth, Tennyson and others.

Regards,

TDU