1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The tendency to stray!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya,

Another interesting topic from you. Once again, the title was misleading. I was sure that this is about the escapades in marriage and was expecting some Sathi Leelavathi entertainment here. But all is safe and staid, we are only discussing shop!

Yet, it was an eye opener for me that people shy away from lower prices and bargain deals. I seem to be on a look out for just that....good bargains:) May be I have it all worked out wrong in my head.

Ah, talking about heads, looks like a head deal is going on here:) Vanaja wants to keep out of it for her own reasons I see :mrgreen:
    You & TDU should be quite ok and will be well off with any of the heads that you both possess. Yours is full of precious humor and his head has nothing in want, as I now discover from his nice pic :)

Did I stray too much:confused:

L, Kamla

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    Talking of head(s) exchange, I thank God, it is not possible !
    Otherwise, imagine the number of Avvai Shanmugi(s) who will parade in our forum !:wink:
    Not to talk of the likes of comedians like Senthil, Vadivelu etc, whom we have seen in sarees !!:)
    You have the knack of introducing humour in your posts, somewhere "idukkile" in your replies. We wait to grab that, our inhouse Wodehose !:mrgreen:
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear cheeniya sir,

yet another delightful post which makes ur readers get stuck to the seats b4 the computer.....to my opinion things have changed very much in the society not only in the upper class n middle class but also for the poor.....my servant maid wanted a holiday and when we asked her for the reason he told us tht she wanted to go to the parlour for eye brow tweasing,bleaching n facial.....i was stunned and shocked as 50% of her sal wud go for this...i cudnt diggest the fact tht 30 days hard earned money wud just go to the parlour in a span of 2 hrs....how wud she run her family with the rest of the 50 % which wud deftly b not sufficient......all os us today are not only brand conscious but also status concious.....even a rag picker has a mobile today......infact my servant asks me what model do i carry and suddenly i realised i am holding a nokia phone which was 1110 and she carried a camera mobile.....my hubby was scolding me for getting insulted like this.....but i didnt feel bad at all....coz i personally feel mobile is an instrument which is just for communication and not conversation or being used as a camera..well the photos taken in the mobile are not clear,be it even an n series nokia mobile......

so we need to differenciate between what is our necessity and what is luxury....i think 90% fall a prey to the luxury and show off factor than the necessity...i think thts the reason why we start getting blood pressure and hell a lot of complaints at the age of 25 or 30 !!!!!our elders are definitely not fools who had rightly told..."PODHUM ENDRA MANASE PON SEIYUM MARUNDHU:....what say u????

lov
    sowmi

4. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Folks,

After going thru this thread, i couldn't help responding.

Kamla you are very right i also thought this thread gonna be on the other aspect of life as the title portrays. But this is a nice topic which is going to be an eye opener for those who are so hooked to brands.

I and my husband are also not so particular about brands as someone rightly said as far as garments are concerned you can wear the clothes for a year or 2 the max. After that you will definitely feel like having a change in your wardrobe. I do a lot of charity sales of garments on corporate levels. The shirts that i sell for Rs. 350/- to Rs. 500/- a piece are sold at 3 - 5 times the price in branded outlets, Many a times i have the exact same color & pattern shirts that are sold in these outlets. Now i have repeat customers because of my competitive price & quality.

We are also dealing in bridal trousseu. The sarees that we have for around Rs. 15000/- are sold by the established designers at about Rs.35000/-. And to talk of we share the same karigars with a couple of them..so it isin't that we are giving something below standard.

Where white goods are concerned...we get it directly from the factory outlets and at times demo pieces are available at a whooping 20 - 40% discount.

As far as groceries is concerned the friendly neighbourhood bania is always welcome than the supermarkets, as if ever the product bought is not good the bania takes it back immediately...but if you go to the super markets they make such a fuss...its like breaking your head against the wall.

In Mumbai if you go to the fashion street at Churchgate...you will find not only the college crowd and the middle class public but also the elite crowd coming there and buying stuff from these vendors.

Go to linking road in bandra...you get good chappals starting from Rs.100/-. But if you go to any shop you will not find anything below Rs.600/- . Its like atleast 1:3 and you get more collectin matching your dresses.

When in US i enjoy shopping at Walmart.

Last evening we went to a small joint "Peppinos" on FC road for dinner...the fare served there was quite authentic and a portion each of garlic bread, pasta salad, nachos with refried beans and salsa, a mix fruit juice & a papaya orange smoothie came to around Rs.234/- incl 12.4 % tax for 2 people.

In short...we need not always splurge on brands. Once in a while its ok or for things which are really necessary.

Thanks Cheeniya for starting this thread.

Warm regards
    Roopa.

5. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniyasri
    Vintage rambling !
    Start with the art of digressing and end with an analysis of"vetti perumai" !

I remember what some youngsters once said when some perisu pulambafied about paying a pretty penny for what you could get for two rupees at angannan's potti kadai. They produced a whole list of Value Additions they were paying for : The star ambience, the AC comfort, the "cool" crowd (incl: frequent visions of eye-candies), cleanliness and paisa-vasool timepass quotient. What they did not mention, however, was the huge disposable income in their pockets.

rgds
    manjula

6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vanajasri
    I cant agree with you more on bargains struck in suburban trains! I do not know if you have travelled by the suburban trains from Sealdah to distant destinations in 24 Parganas District. The travelling salesmen in those trains are a treat to watch. One fellow will come with a small briefcase and start giving a big lecture in chaste Bengali. Not being familiar with the language, I would still pick up names like Robeendranath Tagore, Bibekananda and the likes which would lead me to believe that he was about to peddle some literary works of those giants. He would then open his briefcase and the goodies could be anything from ballpoint pens to tooth powder!
    The technique they follow is mindboggling. Two chaps selling identical stuff will enter the compartment thro different doors. Soon they'll start arguing furiously about their prices and each will undercut the other so much that everyone will be tempted to buy. When they finish their job, they'll exit with their hands on each other's shoulder!
    Did I digress?:mrgreen:
    Sri
    PS: You have given me something to mull over! I mean this head exchange business

7. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    I am still game for more than one reason but apart from your younger head, I have never tried my hand on poetry. With your head, I can have this longstanding dream of mine fulfilled!
    sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    During my student days , quite a few Malayalam films used to be dubbed in Tamil and released in Tamilnadu. The film would be a very serious one making you cry buckets. Or it would be an 'art' film mostly shot in semi darkness. But these films when they get dubbed in Tamil would bear titles such as 'Mamanarin Moga veri', 'Iruttil Maariya Manaivi' etc. These films would run to packed houses for a few days and then the news would spread that the hero and heroine wouldn't even touch each other in the whole movie or the father-in-law would be a paralytic and mogam would be the farthest in his mind! Catchy titles do help at times!:mrgreen:
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    What's the need for head change to become Avvai Shanmugi? Oru dress change and a good make-up man porume!. Kamal madiri onjam Bharathanatyam terinjirunda, it's an added bonus. Some of may look like Venus Williams but it cant be helped!
    sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Sowmini
    The whole mindset of the Indian consumer has undergone a radical change eversince credit cards have hit the Indian market. Many people are not aware that signing a credit card would only mean postponing the payment and it would eventually land them in debt-trap! Besides a mobile phone, what every one has today is a credit card.
    Credit card makes you buy every damn thing in sight whether you need it or not and shopping in a megamall with a credit card can be disastrous!
    And a mobile phone can make you an addict!
    Sri