1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Teetotaller

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Mar 17, 2020.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

‘How are you and Anand? Called you several times yesterday. Call us back..’ said whatsapp message from my father.

I looked at the time and realized my father will be sleeping at this time.

Hi Appa,

Sorry had a busy weekend. We went for potluck arranged by Anand’s team mate. You should taste the carrot halwa he makes. Divine is the word!

How are you and amma? Hope you are regular with your morning walks. I saw Monu’s Dosa disaster photos. Hope she cracks it soon.

Don’t worry about me. I’m happier than how I thought I will.

Love,

Aruna

Anand left to office and I went for run in the park. Open spaces is something I enjoy in the life abroad. It gives me a secure feeling .There is yet another party coming weekend. I have to narrow down on the appropriate dress.

It must be ten days later, I was talking to my friend in India

‘Aren’t you logging into your FB account? We have tagged you in several photos’ she asked

‘Some password issue.. will login today’

‘By the way Anand is yet to approve our friend requests..’ she reminded.

‘I will remind him today. He is not much into social media these days..’ I said.

‘Okay enjoy love your DP by the way’ she said and I smiled brightly.

A month down the line, amma called.

‘I’m trying to reach you all since morning..and you are calling me only now..’ I chided

‘We went to our temple early morning. Did abhishekam to thank god for giving us a good son-in-law…You know what Meena aunty told , everyone is jealous of us getting well earning, teetotaller boy as son-in –law….

‘Mm yes…’

‘With the way young generation is now he hasn’t touched a cigarette or a drop of alcohol till now. Your father is more than happy…’ my mom said.

‘Hey, have you started the driving classes?’ Monu’s voice came suddenly in the line.

That evening Anand announced some plans for upcoming long weekend. We are joining his Indian colleague’s family for long weekend.

I couldn’t speak to my family during the period we were out and when we were back I saw some messages from my sister Monu. Dad wanted to get Monu married by this year end.

I couldn’t reply to her or dad for few days as I had lot in my plate.

I wouldn’t have if there wasn’t a message from dad, ‘Watched your wedding video again. A thought came my mind. Instead of seeking alliance from outside why don’t we see Anand’s brother Akash for Monu. Known family and Akash too is a teetotaller boy with good habits.

I drafted a mail to dad:

Hi Appa,

I don’t understand what’s the hurry in getting Monu married off when she is not ready: Ticking off your responsibility list?

Despite my protest you got me married to Anand. I begged pleaded and tried in all possible ways to make you approve of Adi, my love. You had problems with his habits.

Yes, when he came to meet you he himself admitted he is a casual smoker. Oh no, which was dangerous crime in your book. Also you said Adi was earning less, but I knew that and was ready to face the reality. You pretty well know I won’t marry without your consent and emotionally blackmailed in this marriage with Anand who according you the perfect match.

When I started telling you problems I’m facing in this marriage, your comments were this is common and Anand is a teetotaler boy from good family.

Appa, your teetotaler boy beats atleast four times in a week. He runs my life..yes he decides whom should I talk to at our community at parties raises hue and cry if I log into social media. Do you know he locked me out of house just because I said his mother was wrong in something. I can’t show you the bruises in my body just because Anand thinks I’m impure.

I couldn’t respond earlier to Monu’s mail as I couldn’t lift my hand courtesy Anand.

But to your eyes Anand is the perfect son-in-law. Appa, Adi didn’t have much to treat me like a princess but at least he would have treated me like human and made me feel like a queen.

Love,

Aruna

I

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  2. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

Often Parents do this blunder "choosing the worst" thinking he/she is the best :BangHead: for their kid :eek: late realization can never fix the issue in marriage:argue: so think and act wise:beer-toast1: Gripping screen play Bb ma'am :clap2::clap2::thumbup: thank you.

3. meepre

meepre Gold IL'ite

Very true, the character of a person can never be verified fully until we get to live with them. Parents should be ready to accept their children choice if the.person is good.

4. blackbeauty84

That's True Adharv. Many a times , parents act thinking they have done the best which in turn works reverse. Thanks for the feedback.

5. blackbeauty84

Agree with you Meepre..Things might look green from the distance. Parents must leave their choice to children.
    Thanks for the feedback.

6. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Oh poor soul! Very True .. This is always a myth !

7. Preetii

Preetii Gold IL'ite

feeling bad :( after reading