1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The teasing girl

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Navs
    A great many evolved souls have used self-affliction as a means to realise the Divine in them. The Jain munis are a great example of this process of God-realisation. All the vratas that the elders of yore practised so vigorously were meant for the same purpose. An easy life tends to make us very complacent. We become introspective only when the going gets tough. Our scriptures tell us that the God's most favourite subjects are the ones that are made to go through the toughest of tests.

I am so happy that you could grace my thread with your FB. Your last sentence is the best summing-up of what I wished to convey.
    Sri

2 people like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear sir,

I must admit, I never saw the philosophical side of the whole story, but was totally taken in by the beautiful imagery and description. Phenomenal use of words. Have also got to admit that I had a butterfly in mind as I read the whole narrative and could not help feel sad for it and at the same time could not blame the child which did just what Nature made her do - play.

But after reading all the other feedbacks here and your explanation, can't help saying it was a sterling example of a metaphorical story.

Enjoyed reading it. :)

3. Cheeniya

My dear Satchi
    This story is meant to reveal my innermost thoughts and I am happy that it is being viewed in its proper perspective. I have not raised any spiritual question here nor have I attempted to sermonize. I merely wished to convey that acceptance would be the only route to inner peace and tranquility.

I thank you for your very kind words. Coming from someone who I admire so much, they indeed make me happy and contented
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Very true Sri Uncle. Only when the gold is exposed to fire it could be made as beautiful piece of jewelry to be adorned. Like that we are Exposed to so many tests by God to make us a human, to be a better person, to be more polite, to be more patient just from being a living thing, so that we can be adorned by him.

Like the dragonfly we get prepared for the next time (of course if it is there) to be a better person.

VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR SRI UNCLE. SURE YOUR BLESSINGS ARE ALWAYS THERE FOR US.

Regards
    Manjukps

5. Cheeniya

My dear Manju
    That's a very good example really! The lives of all the great devotees of God like the Azhwars and Nayanmars convey the same message to us. I have seen Ramana Maharshi suffering the ravages of cancer with a smiling face. I have seen Kanchi Paramacharya reading the palm scripts in candle light holding the palm leaves close to his cataract ridden eyes. They are the shining examples of the ultimate truth.

Thank you for your warm and loving Greetings Manju and I heartily reciprocate the same.
    Sri

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

This dragonfly story touched my heart indicating the attitude that we need to maintain when we go through testing time. Sometimes, I wonder whether I am facing consequences of my actions in my prior life or the people who are causing me hurt are creating their own karma that they need to pay in future. Whatever the case may be, it is the pain that makes me understand what is pleasure. If pain did not exist how in the world would I understand what pleasure is? Dragonfly is clearly sacrificing its pain to make the girl happy. Sometimes I wonder why I do not get the heart of a simple dragonfly? I am a believer that everything happens for a reason and it is up to me to find out what it is for. Sometimes we get an answer and sometimes we don't. Should I do an action, if it makes others happy and causes me pain? Well, that is sacrifice and eventually someday, I will realize that I am happy to see others happy.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    There is a school of thought that maintains that the sum total of Karma is a fixed quantity for each yuga the maximum being for Kaliyuga. This in effect means that if I hurt you and you suffer in my hands, the Karma expended by you through your suffering gets added on to me for I cause you the hurt. Thus it goes round and round. While a few may expend all their Karma and get liberated, others get burdened with their Karma. The whole thing gets nullified with the 'Pralaya'

I find this an interesting way of explaining why and how there is so much of disparity among all living beings. Take even a dog for example. Some are born in the households of the most affluent and some are born in the streets. The privileged dogs live a life better than that of a majority of humans while the street dogs get run over by the trucks by the dozens!

All actions will have reactions. "न तु नाशोऽस्य विद्यते" says the Law of Karma. This simply means that there is no destruction of action. It also says "नाऽयं परस्य सुकृतं दुष्कृतं चापि सेवते" which means that no man inherits the good or evil act of another man. Each one enjoys only the fruits of his own action.
    Sri

8. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Very poetic and nice Cheeniya Sir. Thanks for sharing.
    Just trying to restrict myself to the story alone:

I was happily flying all along,
    Taking from this flower or that
    Drinking the beauty too and sang
    A song so close to my heart.

Being just a bit careless,
    I paid the price too soon.
    Three cute fingers, no less
    Took me quick. I swooned.

When I was up, I saw her.
    Never once I felt so happy.
    Her eyes widened to a saucer,
    When I didn't try to go free.

"Say me a word, my dear!
    I'll move mountains for you!",
    I said, but she did not hear.
    She tried little stones a few.

I carried each of them quick
    And made her jump in joy.
    But the last wasn't to my like.
    I failed and myself was annoyed.

She then tied a thin rope,
    So hard on me. It hurt.
    I realized her thought and hope
    And flew fast not to hurt.

That try was enough to dry
    All my energy so fast.
    I fell down faster and cried
    And wasn't able to start.

She pitied me and left.
    That soothed me like a song.
    I vowed then with what was left
    That I'll be back with a bang!

9. Cheeniya

My dear RGS
    No subject seems to be beyond you to convert into a poem! Do you have a software to convert prose into poetry like the one that converts a pdf file into a word document? I am truly amazed. Do you conduct even your regular conversations with your family and friends in verses like Sivaji Ganesan did with Major Sunderarajan in the film 'Uyarndha Manithan" (Andha naal nyabagam vandadhe!)?

Reading this verse of yours makes me want to break into poetry too but my age has given me the wisdom to stay away from what is beyond me!
    Sri

1 person likes this.