1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The teasing girl

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Note: This is a bit serious stuff. If you are able to complete reading it, please share your views even if they are negative.

How exquisite this pain is!

It’s just making hay while the sun shines. As I flutter my wings and contemplate on which flower to descend on, I get this uneasy feeling that my happiness is going to be short-lived. The nip in the air indicates that the dreaded winter is around the corner and with its arrival, all our gaiety will cease to exist. The shudder that goes through my body is not due to the nip in the air but the mere thought of winter. I quickly gather myself and I see the substance in the infinite wisdom of not letting the fear of future ruin our beautiful present. I look around me and the beauty of the multicoloured flora just leaves me breathless.

It is then I sight her. A chubby little girl with large fluttering eyes that seem to slice through the soul with a knife of honey. She runs around the garden in gay abandon looking very mischievous and adorable. I crave for her attention and as though in instant answer to my prayers, she catches sight of me. She walks gingerly towards me and grabs my tail with her soft fingers. I feel as if she is transferring her entire power through her fingers to me. I cling to the leaf to test the depth of her desire to have me. She pulls me off the leave violently and I wince in pain but realise how joyful this pain is.

Still holding on to me, she looks around and sights a few stones. She arranges them on the ground according to their size. She lets me sit on the smallest stone and goads me to lift it with my legs. I do it with pretty ease and she picks me up and sets me down on the second but slightly larger stone. I realise in a flash what she is aiming at. She wants me, her chosen one, to perform such feats, which will place me far above my fellow beings. I do it with ease yet again and I am moved on to the third one. Her concern for me warms my heart and I am filled with excitement. She seems to yell at me ‘Citius, Altius, Fortius’ and I feel already like the Olympic champion at the finishing line. I clear stone after stone and her infectious mirth catches me too. I finally arrive at a stone, which I cannot lift despite my best efforts. Her face falls on seeing my inability and I curse myself for letting her down.

She gives up but decides to try something else. By this time, my own excitement reaches a feverish level. She picks up a piece of thread from the ground and ties it on my tail. Perhaps due to her own impatience with my tardy progress in the previous drill, she ties it a bit too harshly and I wince in pain but I understand. With the end of the thread held firmly in her hand, she lets me fly away to test my strength. I take off fluttering my wings at incredible speed. But like all living things, all this physical activity drains me off all my stamina. I am not used to such hectic activity you see. I try feebly more for the pretty girl’s sake and to vindicate her faith in me. I see that my wings get heavier and heavier until I fall on the ground on my side.

The girl is overcome with pity and unties the thread from my tail. Leaving me to recoup my strength, she walks into her house reluctantly. I find my eyes closing as I resolve myself to be in better shape when she comes to me next time. Next time, if there is one….

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi Cheeniya,

Nice story.... I dont understand what you want to convey..... But it reminds me of few things:

1. My Boss used to load me with challenging Jobs..... I always work hard to comlete it...... In the process I learnt a lot and grew up in the carreer... recognition etc.... But I missed the family life.... Going on vations/spending time with kids etc.... But thanks to my wife.... She made it a point that on the weekend holidays (Sunday in India and Fridays in Muscat) is a family day. Starting from the morning first cofee till the Dinner we have it together and we spend the day watching some good family movies or go out for a drive etc.... This helped me to salvage some of the golden times with the family.....

2. I have quite a few friends who take me around all pubs/dance bars etc... They will come home and tell my wife stories about me. She will always say I know him better. Oneday I asked her.... what will you do if I start behaving like what they say... She gave me an example..... In villages the farmers will tie the buffaloes in a long rope and allow that to graze all over according to its happiness. But the end of the rope will be tied to the stick struck in the ground. The Buffallo can roam only to the extent the rope allows.... So she said you do whatever you want.... But I know when to pull the rope and it is in my hands... She said the rope is the true love/affection and unpeccable faith I have on you. Whatever others say, I am confident about my husband......

She does that even today sitting in Chennai ...... :2thumbsup:.. I salute her confidence and to be honest with you..... It has saved me a lot from getting into unwanted situations......

Veda

sindmani and manjukps like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Dear Vysan
    You are indeed blessed!
    Coming to your query about what I wanted to convey through this story, let me explain.
    Very often we go through difficult times in our lives. Some of them can be very painful and long lasting. We start wondering why God, if He is there, should pick us for such travails. My mum always tells me that God always puts His best devotees to more vigourous tests to test the strength of their faith. She used to cite the examples of 63 Nayanmars and what tough lives they all had!
    I could never understand her reasoning in my early days but as I grow older my attitude is changing too. I am not into the Karma theory and all that but I just try to visualise my problems as that dragon fly does vis a vis that young girl. That girl obviously does not have any malice towards that poor creature and she is just being playful. The insect too takes her pranks as the girl's intent to make it a better living being. I am the dragonfly and that girl is my God, so to say.
    I feel that this should be the attitude that we must have when we are put through stern tests by the Almighty!
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

Nice story of the dragonfly and the girl. i also feel god tests only the tough ones. thats why the tough get going when the going gets tough. Like the stones, god tests you in stages i feel.

I am reminded about papanasam sivan song.

ramanai bajithaall....
    thunbamodu inbam kalandathe prapancham,
    veyilliye nizhalin inbamum undo...
    nammai sodhanai theeyil pudammiduvaar
    eduthu thooki anandathai azhituduvaar..

5. Cheeniya

Dear Shanvy
    That's a very apt song to describe the plight of the teased one. Some of the highly evolved souls have even sung praises to Him for subjecting them to such tests! Their mindset was amazing. While we , the lesser mortals keep complaining about His attitude towards us, they sang, 'Puzhuvai pirakkinum punniya unnadi en manathe vazhuvadirukka varam tharal vendum!'
    Sri

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya
    Again a great post and start of another wonderful thread. If you are not a journalist by profession you missed your calling. you have a great way with words. and thanks for the explanation. so touching and beautiful.
    regards
    anandchitra

7. Cheeniya

Dear Anandchitra
    I am extremely careful that all such praise from dear friends like you does not go to my head but only rests with my heart. I have no great ambitions about my writing and I will be extremely thankful to Him if He gives me the power to keep a few hundred ILites laughing and thinking which I would consider the biggest achievement of my life.
    Sri

8. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Hello Cheeniya sir!
    That was a heavy write up! Who is that girl you who wants to see more of you and you are not able to compete with her speed? I am sure you are not tired of writing for us Ilites. We certainly need your posts to pep us up and we are blessed to have you here. Your age should not be a discouraging factor too! common, you are not so old yet!
    May be, I guess you had nothing up your mind when you clicked on the'New Thread' and this was what you could think of! Even if you scribble some nonsensical meaningless words, we will get some meaning out of it! So boost your energy and be here for us!

9. Cheeniya

Dear Malathy
    That was a great assurance from you that you would find some meaning out of my posts even if they are 'nonsensical and meaningless'!:-D With that kind of assurance, my keyboard will never be left unattended!
    Very often we have seen that the readers make a literary work great by their reviews and interpretation. And when a writer becomes popular, even a sneezing of his will be meaningfully interpreted by his ardent readers.
    This is true of other arts too. I find works of artists like Piccaso hard to understand but see how his admirers go gaga over his works! :mrgreen:
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    Your spectrum is incredible !
    From a falling actress to a dragonfly - what a shift ?!
    This is written with such beautiful phrases, that I enjoyed reading almost like a poem.
    I liked your words
    I see the substance in the infinite wisdom of not letting the fear of future ruin our beautiful present.
    How very true ! We are forever doing only that. We must make the most of today beause there will never be another "now".

A chubby little girl with large fluttering eyes that seem to slice through the soul with a knife of honey.
    The second half of the above sentence is just lovely.

The Almighty does make us pass through various tests, but we have no choice but to endure and emerge successfully.

Don't you agree with the lyrics
    Thunba pudathil ittu thooyavan aakki vaithai

One of my favourite books is "Tough times never last, but tough people do" by Robert H Schuller.
    If it's going to be, it's up to me.
    Sometimes a problem defies solution. Then I can't solve it, but I will definitely manage it.
    I motivate myself, telling repeatedly that God's delays are not God's denials.
    To win, I must first begin.

My prayer forever is
    Lord, give me the guidance to know
    when to hold on
    and
    when to let go
    and
    the grace to make the right decision with dignity.

Sri, have I strayed far & wide? Well, sorry, if you think, I have & perhaps, I have, as well !

Don't blame me - the dragonfly & the little girl lead me to it.

Love,
    Chithra.

Humour begets humour
    Serious thoughts beget serious thoughts !

sindmani and lovelyme like this.