1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The sweet chocolate, and a sweeter memory

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Jul 5, 2010.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

I recall an incident which took place when I was a little girl, in Class 3 or 4. It was the school annual day, and my sister was taking part in the program. I was not a part of it, and was feeling very left out and sad. We had come to the auditorium early, as she had to get ready for the program. We had to be there a few hours before the program started, so Amma thought instead of coming in batches, we should all leave together, and return home after the program, which would be as late as 8 or 9 at night.

I was getting bored, sitting in the hall, gazing at the many empty chairs around me. There was a bunch of kids sitting a few rows away from us, who were making quite a racket, and having fun. I didn't know any of them, so I stayed away and watched them from a distance. There was an uncle with them, possibly someone's father. He too was getting bored, having to baby sit so many children, and kept walking in and out of the auditorium.

At one point, he went and bought chocolates for all the children. This was the old Dairy Milk, the small ones, which used to come at five rupees, I think. I watched him hand out the chocolates. I tried not to think about it, and I turned away. As I looked up, I saw the nice gentleman standing beside me, a chocolate in his hand, stretched out to me, a smile on his face. I have always been told to refuse food items given to me by strangers. But that day, I accepted it.

I looked up at him and said, 'thank you.' He replied with a smile, and walked back to the children. This small gesture has kept this gentleman in my mind many years later. He need not have got it for me, but he must have felt that I would feel bad to see other children eating them. He didn't want me to feel left out.

I know that I will never forget this incident, and the nice uncle. I don't remember his face, I must admit. This often makes me wonder, how a small and simple gesture, which did not require much thought, has deeply affected the life of a little child.

From that incident, the lesson that I learnt was to hold out a helping hand to a person, or simply hand out toffees to crying children, which I have done on several occassions. We will never know how much importance that person will attach to our gesture. It could well be a part of their lives forever, like it was for me.

I have faced many instances where strangers have been kind to me, and helped me out of a tough situation. But this sweet uncle, who bought me a chocolate when he bought some for his children will always remain special to me.

2. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Well written, Suma. As you have mentioned in our life we come across so many people who help us, but we only have memories of those incident.
    Shanta

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. suria

suria Silver IL'ite

nice one suma..:thumbsupthis made me think of people who a have come across in life who made a strong impression on the way, but didnt know who they where..:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  4. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Suma,

Its true that een small gestures from unknown persons make a permanent mark in the children's life. Good one suma:cheers

1 person likes this.
  5. crazywriter

dear shanta,
    thank you :). this incident would keep popping up in my head from time to time, so I thought I should share it with everybody.

6. crazywriter

thank you so much suria :hiya.

7. crazywriter

dear raba,
    thank you for your feedback :).