1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

the stranger who saved me from my suicide attempt

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by strangerrr, Feb 1, 2012.

1. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

I held the hand rails firm and practiced in mind, how to loosen the grip; simultaneously, studied the momentum of the train one last time. Jerked my shoulders, so that the bag evenly balanced between two shoulders. It is the first time I would be doing this act, should be the last too. Looked left and right and ensured I have the courage for this act – throwing myself from the running train. I kept the countdown short… three! two! o.. Suddenly I felt a strong grip on my left shoulder, before I could react, It pulled me in with force.

I didn’t expect this, I looked at him in the worst possible way I could as he interrupted my effort to put an end to a thing which bothering me. “This is not the time to die my boy” he said with a plain tone. The reek of the alcohol hit my nostrils and went all way in, to distrubed few of my inner organs.

I of no interest to speak to any drunken person ever in my life, unless they are very mean friend of mine. Why should this stranger be an exception…

I walked back to my berth with a dropped shoulders; weak knees and with failure to overcome a failure. I sat in my berth, with palm-supporting-jaw and thighs-supporting-elbow position. None of the 70 other passenger in that S2 coach unaware what happened to me. I started contemplating what had happen to me… that I dared enough for such a big decision…

…After almost 14 hour long journey from my home town, I was walking on a platform to catch my next train with just less than 5 minutes for its departure. My mobile rung, the call which I never wish to ignore or miss. We greeted each other… syncd the happening at both ends… queried about the new year celebrations which unfolded couple of days before… and went on with that usual purposeless talks (which to me, is the sign of any good friendship). Of course there were little serious words sandwiched between those purposeless ones.

Meanwhile, I boarded the train – put my earphones on - set myself on the side-lower berth – forgot the dinner – ignored the co-passengers – swapped batteries between my mobiles and the clock had run on its own pace for approx 5 hours, when we finally said bye and good night.

I was all fine still I set the alarm in my mobile for 01.50 AM before sleeping, I reminded myself that I have to make change of trains at 01.55 AM!
    ---

Some strange kind of impulse woke me up; my hands crawled to my jean pocket for my mobile as a reflex. My first attempt to switch it on was in vain, I forced it ON, I went off again after couple of weak beep but just managed to display 02.20 Am before that. I looked out of the window and confirmed what I thought what would have happened; Yes, I overslept.

Not more than 10 minutes since the train left the station, where I should have got down. I thought for few seconded pulled my bag and rushed to the doorway. As a frequent traveler in that very route I aware that at the next small station the train does not stop but considerably slow its speed (as the train takes a change of tracks just outside that station) which is suffice for a person with 25+ BMI to get down safely.

---

My dad’s yell for my habit of not wearing a wrist watch & my mom’s caution-note with worrying tone every time prior my depature from home flashed more than once while I was still sitting in the same position in that berth. But I succeed in ignoring those.

Now,
    I have to travel 110 Kms more for the next station where the train stops. plus the same distance back. I am travelling without any valid ticket, which can be managed with couple of smiling pix of our father of nation. I will be late to office after a week of vacation. Overall, my travel time inflated atleast by 5 hours.

But the drunken stranger, he will go back to his family or friend at scheduled time and moreover will boast that he had saved a stranger from a suicide attempt.

- Jan '2011

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Liked it stranger and you maintained the suspense till the setting of alam.. till that i'm thinking that it as a serious issue...

and narrated the incident on serious note and ended it funnily..haa haa

3. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Superbbbbbbbbbbb

That was damn gud one... enjoyed reading the same. Kept the suspense... and ended on a very hilarious note too... I was showing my pearlies at office by the time I ended this story..:-D

4. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Wow..what a post!! Great twist!! So have u bought a watch now?? :)

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Strangerrr,

You have to watch the vendors who sell things inside the compartment waiting for change from the passengers and then get out of moving train before you really practice it yourself. They are very good teachers to focus on first thing first.

Jokes apart, please note that Universal Absolute is watching over you in the form of a drunken passenger. He is the ultimate to watch over his good devotees.

Please buy an alarm watch next time when you travel.

Viswa

6. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

You may not know whether that is a blessing in disguise, Strangerrr. Going late is one thing, but going much later, not in the best of your shape is worse. Besides, enjoyed reading this post. The drunk person even forgets what he did though he sounds sober, so he might have forgotten that. But, he is more thought about now, after you wrote this buddy. :) -rgs

7. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Fantastic one stranger. I loved the way how you explained this unfortunate incident, in a very serious tone, still managed to make us laugh... :) I thoroughly enjoyed your wittiness.
    That's a good one.

You sound like my young brother. Everytime he comes home for weekend and goes back to work my parents keep instructing him every little thing. He shouts back saying 'he knows it all' but correctly miss the same thing which my parents instructed, and finally end up getting bashed again.... So what was your parents' reaction after hearing this incident??

Thanks for this nice blog.. :)

ILT

8. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For a minute i really thought..... OMG!! You really know how to hold your audience bro!! great job :)

So hv u bought a wrist watch?!!

aff
    Akila

9. mums

mums Platinum IL'ite

I have to travel 110 Kms more for the next station where the train stops. plus the same distance back. I am travelling without any valid ticket, which can be managed with couple of smiling pix of our father of nation.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Enjoyed your narration...........the suspense was maintained till the end. From the beginning of the post i was reminding myself "committing suicide is a crime".........:hide:

10. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your FB pallavi!
    a double thanks for you, for the reminder last week; sorry, but i could not reply you...

:)