1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The strange aspect of jealousy

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

o o o o o o o.......
    All I wanted was to see was what Cheeniya had written about the aspects of jealousy.
    I read this looong thread with all those wonderful posts that followed Cheeniya's wonderful post, and also the wonderful response posts of wonderful Cheeniya in reply to wonderful Sridhar, wonderful Chithra, wonderful Vidya, wonderful Manjureddy, wonderful TDU and wonderful all others and I am wonderfully overwhelmed with JEALOUSY :evil:
    Can I ever match that ? What words, what thoughts, what writing......I have forgotten my vocabulary...except and just....WONDERFUL !

L, Kamla:2thumbsup:

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Wonderful Kamla
    I feel wonderful about your wonderful FB and the rest of the wonderful members of the wonderful site Indusladies! It this wonderful bonhomie that makes this wonderful life a lot more wonderful.
    Sri

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

A good subject. Today I thought of going through your old threads and giving fb so that I can learn something from your thread and also from the fbs from great writers here. First thread which came to my eyes is this one.

I thought only woman are jealous. You know when my sister was working she had a christian friend who used to be jealous when mysister used to wear a new saree. Because of that my sister never used to wear new saree first and tell me to wear and give it to her. My sister is a different kind of person. She always says when you are suffering think of the people who suffer more than you and you will feel better and when you have to achieve something look at the people who are at the top then you will also feel like reaching the top.

When I was young I used to feel jealous but as I grew up and now I dont feel jealous, feel happy for them and think what we have to get we will get it.

It is ok if we feel jealous of our friends our neighbours but when I see jealousy between sisters I feel so surprised. When one buys something they feel jealous and they also want the same thing.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir, ofcourse you know I am on a reading spree of your old threads and almost as an aid to my efforts, Viji aunty had already responded to this (thanks aunty), so I took it as an omen and here I am!

This incidentally is a topic I have been mulling over the past few months - because of the various incidences that have been happening. I don't want to sound like I am preaching the choir, but this is my understanding, for now atleast. I think we as humans at a subconscious level inpsite of very different natures assume that since we all belong to the same canopy (which might include same house, neighborhood and similar things that are easily available to our reach), we are all travellers together! When there is a deviation we are shaken, we are made to assess our own capablities, luck or otherwise. That is the reason why our immediate circles make a bigger difference than the farther away lands - we are not exposed to their happiness or suffering at such an intimate level where it can make us feel why can't it be me or thank God it is not me!!

We often tend to forget that we all come with our own karma (karma as I understand is not a bad thing but just that big book which will only teach us what we need to learn and move on) and that we can change it and that it will affect just us and only us - thanks to Dr.Brian Weiss for this delightful insight.

Neverthless I agree with your assessment and I am in the process of learning - now if I had mastered this, I would be considered a "sthitha prajna" isn't it? However, I am just glad to be in a position ruminate, understand my own feelings and reactions and hopefully that will help me gain some insight.

Thank you for that wonderful write up - I will be roaming more here :)

5. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    Jealousy is quite common in both men and women. Of course a man may not feel jealous of another man if he is wearing a new silk dhoti like women. His feeling of jealousy comes to the fore when he sees a close friend driving a swank new car and things like that. Jealousy has now come to be regarded as a basic human quality. There is no record to show if animals feel jealous of each other. Must ask Dr.Dolittle!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Srama
    What a profound reply to a mundane question that I had raised!

A Stitha Pragnya is a misfit in Kaliyuga. It will be easier to swim through this ocean of life if we have our own weaknesses, our own failings. All these make one a tough and seasoned soldier. Our weaknesses teach us the art of staying alive. Unfortunately the world of today looks down upon the Stitha pragnyas if there are any.

The man of Kali Yuga has to keep on showing himself as alive or otherwise, he will be treated as a door mat! No one needs to feel bad that he is hyper-sensitive or tends to feel bad about others' good fortunes. We are made that way if we go by what our scriptures describe as 'the qualities of Kaliyuga' By being what we are, we are only helping the Divine Cause. The Kali has to end and He is waiting to start the cycle all over again. We all can look forward to the extremely virtuous way of life when the Satya Yuga dawns again!
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sir,

I fully empathize with you when you say you feel envious of that friend who won a kg of gold or a lottery. I feel the same way, sir and I must admit it started at a tender age that I can remember myself being. So as you may see it extends a long way back. The triggering events would be my friend's mother giving her a hug, or saying what a clever child she is (my mom always made it a point to tell me how smart other's kids were and her reasoning was only donkeys praise their own tails), or when my sister got a gift from someone which I treasured or someone called her "dolly" or "kondai" and the list goes on.

So I shan't sit in judgement of you sir. Though even I am puzzled about why the same envy does not extend to the Ambani or Bill Gates of the world. I certainly wonder at the unfairness of letting the Ambanis have so much of wealth, when they won't share it with anyone else. I am sure I would have had a very large heart and invited all my less fortunate brethren home for food if I were in their place.

sindmani likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Dear Satchi
    I am sure I would have had a very large heart and invited all my less fortunate brethren home for food if I were in their place
    That is the precise reason why you are not in their place! Charitable feeling is the hall mark of less privileged because they only know what it is to be hungry. The world's most affluent tycoons all form a consortium to carve out an infinitesimal portion of their wealth for the cause of charity more to clear their conscience than to help the poor and needy.

We don't feel jealous of the Ambanis and Bill Gates because they are all far too beyond our reach. We feel jealous of only those whose accomplishments are well within our capabilities to achieve but we don't achieve. We are far too lazy and are unwilling to go that extra mile to catch up with them. Soon our own frustration triggers off a Tsunami of jealousy!
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

Someone has revived this old blog of yrs and given y homework, and i am jelpus of u, for no one revives my old blogs.and since u happen to be my friend, i feel all the more jelous.:rotfl

Hilarious and very true. We dont care about Bill Gates, but we do care, uif soemone known to us hits the jackpot.

But htere is one solace Sri, through which we can soothen the burns of jealousy, that soon this fellow will blow away the money and drop down to where he is now.HAHA

What say ?

Regards

kamal

10. Cheeniya

My dear Kamal
    That is a new angle to jealousy and how to cope with it. You are dead right as always that ill gotten or easy money gets blown out faster than it came. That indeed is a comforting thought. A fellow who gets a fortune all of a sudden and finds himself back to square A is certain to feel a lot more miserable than the one who never wins a lottery!

Good thought Kamal!
    Sri