1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The strange aspect of jealousy

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju
    I have already said in my thread that we dont feel jealous of celebrities but only of our peers. I dont feel jealous of Bill Gates is how I have made my point amply clear.
    There are two giants in Indusladies who tower over all of us. They are Varalotti and Chitvish. Whatever we write here would have already been said by them and pondered over by hundreds of their fans. If I decide not to talk of anything that they have not covered , then I might have to bow out of Indusladies!

Varalotti has covered the entire gamut of human emotions in his various threads. There is nothing new I can say except to ponder over what that gifted writer has already talked about through a separate thread. Since I deal with human emotions too, I can at best be an extension of Varalotti! Being the celebrity that he is in Indus Ladies, how can I ever be jealous of him? As far Chitvish, fortunately for me , she concerns herself more with feeding our souil and stomach, the two areas I hardly have anything to contribute. So no one can blame me of writing anything that she has not dealt with before!

Our film actors always confess that no matter what role they do, it will have some resemblance to what Sivaji Ganesan has done decades back. Sivaji was the Varalotti of Tamil Films! I am happy and grateful to you that you have only said that Varalotti has discussed this subject threadbare much ahead of me and you have not accused me of plagiarism!

Talking of plagiarism, my initial thinking is that the act of plagiarising would not become a crime, heinous or ordinary, just because someone else got the idea earlier and penned it in exactly the same words. It is said that every person in this world will have six other exact look-alikes. I tend to believe this theory going by the number of wrong calls that I receive everyday. People who believe this theory would readily agree that it is no big deal that two articles or stories could resemble each other word for word and no criminal intentions need be attributed to the writer merely because he was the second to write it.

Why do people plagiarise? Look at this way. You read something that is simply fantastic. But there is no clue as to who wrote it. At the same time, it is too good just to be passed over. You want to share it with your friends. And this is where you are required to take a momentous decision. You can present it with a long preamble about how and where you came across this marvelous piece and present it. The chances are that your preamble turns out to be so detailed and dull that the readers may skip the gem and hop over to the next item. This defeats the very purpose of your whole exercise. So what do you do? You just splash it up without much ado hoping no one is able to find the source. But if you happen to be an extremely cautious person like me, you give some obscure indication to the effect that it is not yours. Make sure that the reference is as obscure as Alfred Hitchcock appearing in every gripping movie of his.

The above is plagiarism in its elementary form. More seasoned plagiarists fall into the categorisation of Lionel Trilling. “Immature artists imitate. Mature artists steal” I find it difficult to understand the rationale of Trilling’s classification. I have always believed that imitation is the highest form of flattery and flattery itself requires a lot of maturity. How does he say then that immature artists imitate? But I tend to agree with the second. Stealing requires an acute ability to cover your tracks, which comes only out of long experience.

I know I haven’t made any sense in my thread on jealousy. Such being the case, I have proved beyond an iota of doubt that it’s my own! You have said that Varalotti was the first but then Vyasa was the first to write the Mahabharatam and are we not still hearing stories the knots of which have their root in that epic?

Having said all this, I must add that you are an emerging giant of IL and two years hence, if what people write would certainly bear a resemblance to what you have already said. Please go easy on them!
    Sri

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Dear Radha
    You have summed it up beautifully and conscientiously. I really appreciate your candid statement that you are jealous and that anyone who says that he has no jealousy is only cheating himself.
    In Budhism, it is said that anyone who declares that he has no ego or has completely conquered it is the most egoistic!
    I agree with you that a little feeling of jealousy is good if that feeling motivates you to do better
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Dear Chitra
    Upbringing certainly has a great role to play in controlling negative emotions. Jealousy can make us do both positive and negative things and it is upto us to chose our path.
    Jealousy of achievements of others and jealousy of owning material things act on us differently. The first can become motivating but the second can be ruinous particularly if you happen to have a credit card with unlimited buying power!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    How right you are about comparing being the root cause of all jealousy! In fact, the tendency of the parents to compare one child with the other is the root cause of all sibling rivalry. How well it was portrayed by Raghuvaran portraying the role of a jealous elder brother of Surya. I forget the name of the film but we could see how the indulgence of the parents effectively portrayed by Sivakumar and Radhika towards the younger son Surya causes all the feelings of rivalry in the elder son.

And TDU, thanks a lot for coming to my rescue!
    Sri

5. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

My Dear Brother Sri,

I am honoured,moved and touched by your words though I do not deserve most of your praise.

I had to forcibly deny myself the pleasure of visiting these learning forums as I am a little tied up with SHE. Whatever is feminine, be it in the name or person, ties me up firmly and irretrievably.

It was my dear wife who virtually ordered me yesterday to visit this thread and read what you have very gracefully written about me.

Brother, had each of us had a web-camera attached to our systems, you can see me showing the sign of reverence unique to our brotherhood.

Bless me that one day I should deserve all the praise you have showered on me.
    With Warm Regards,
    Your Brother Sri

1 person likes this.
  6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya,

Thank you for replying to my post, that too a reply almost as long as the lead post! This must be my special day in IL. I quite like your idea of summoning Spiderman to rescue my cobweb laden manuscripts. How did you ever know that I am a Toby McGuire fan?

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

hello

this is like the simple peyottam
    the poojari
    utters loud nothings
    says it is the man or woman
    next door who had committed
    suicide..
    wants this or that
    and demands milk food or clothes
    the near and dear are shocked
    i told this idiot
    not to look into that house
    when he was hanging...

it is never the victim of suicide
    far far away
    or in a different city
    closer home is more important

poramai
    engum manathu
    pakkathil ullavarai
    paarthe engum
    poramai poramai enru
    irandu poramai kollalaam
    poramai illaatha vaazhkai ethu?

sri ingu kooda poramai thaan..!!
    paarungal ungal post kalukku varum
    bathilgalil
    ellalavenum matravarukku varutha?

sathya

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Dear Bro.Sri
    Whatever I have said about you has come straight from my heart. My appreciation of you is not based only on your immense contribution to IL but also on what I have heard of you from our brotherhood. The latter is always at the back of my mind.
    When I wrote about you in reply to Manju's FB, I was hoping that you would chance to come across my post! I am thankful to your wife for having 'ordered' you to read my post.
    I am waiting for Chellham to summon me to MDU to initiate you in the Order of which I am the District Grand Recorder(Secretary). Nothing will make me happier than doing it!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  9. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    Anyone who lets cobweb cover his or her most priced possessions must be a Tobey Mcguire fan! Dont you know that the Aegean Stables were kept unclean for years in order that Hercules would come and clean it as one of his twelve tasks? Your cobwebs will be cleaned and your Magnum Opus will be made available to the world by Tobey someday!
    By the way, is there any chance that Ramji might step in as Tobey one day and assume the role of spiderman?
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Satya
    Poramai illatha Vazhkkai
    Uppilla pandam ponradu!
    Uppu navirkku endral
    Poramai manathukku!
    Inda uppu illai endral
    Vazhkkai Thigatti vidum.
    Uppu alavodu illai enil
    Udalukku ethanai kedu?