1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The story of the five fingers

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear PS
    It is only when people forget this golden principle which I have highlighted in your FB that all the trouble starts. Comparison triggers the most poisonous attitudes in us. The only way to combat the tendency to compare is to develop one's own self-confidence.
    Thank you for your crisp FB, PS
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

My dear Kamal
    There is this and many other stories that I want to share with you over whatever! Hasten your long awaited visit to Chennai! :wink:
    And when we meet and part, I may sing 'Abhi na jao chodkar' a little differently of course!
    Sri

3. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Perhaps you have some mind-reading abilities also, in addition to the truly multi-faceted personality that you are:) Just recently, I was telling my husband, how, as a child, I used to play 'hide and seek', 'run and catch' etc with my cousins, whenever there was a family get-together at my grandparents' place. As always, family politics was always there and there might have been some tensions going on inside the house when nathanaars, machinis, mannis, orpadis etc meet after a long time hehehhe ... :D :) But, as a child, I was oblivious to many of these and so was my brother. At that age, it never seemed to bother us much that their parents were not nice to our parents etc etc. As we grew, we became more and more aware and conscious of these things and noticed that, the interactions are not the same as before.

Childhood innocence is the purest thing that God has created - purer than 24 carat gold :) :) Somewhere, adulthood only serves to pollutes this innocence, I guess. And by the time, we realize that all this comparison, competition, mental salasalappu, confusion, misunderstanding, ego, jealousy were all meaningless and useless - we would have entered 'second childhood' - that is old age.

I recall this conversation with my husband, when I read how your grand-daughter explained this beautiful and meaningful story of the five fingers to you. That it came from a little girl, is truly wonderful.

May God bless her with everything best.

As for your post itself, I fully agree that nobody is inferior to anyone else. All of us are God's creations and when we die, all of us need only a few feet of land to be buried - nthg more, nthg less :) I, sometimes tend to think, that the so-called evil people - real or fictional - be it Ravana or Hitler - were also created by God to show the world that Dharma defeats Evil eventually. Even this is with a purpose, isn't it?

Sometime last year, there was a news item which I read in the newspaper here in London, how the housekeeping staff at a major Investment Bank here were protesting against lay-offs. The Bank was on a 'cost-cutting' exercise, while at the same, it was doling out millions of Pounds as bonuses for its stock traders. I was left wondering how the traders would function, if there was no-one in the bank buildings to clean its toilets or vacuum clean the cubicles or serve food in the canteens !!!!!!!!!

Thanks and love
    Pavithra

4. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

dear cheeniya sir,
    very nice story!!!!
    your very right in saying that we should pass such good moral stories to our next generation!!!its these values that are important in life and make us better human beings which is the important thing.
    hope to hear more of such little stories from you.so that i can pass on that to my little friends here!!!!!
    regards
    pavi

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,
    It is very nice of you to bring in that story here..portraying the uniqueness of all here...
    I also remember a song from Barney and Friends., where it goes like, all are special and special in thier own way..
    The world is itself a big puzzle, we are all important as the other puzzle pieces are...if one is not right, others might not fit in as well..

Is Krithi the one who wrote about her own small Kolu...Hats off to her who made you write this post....

sriniketan

6. Cheeniya

Dear Pavithra
    I agree with you completely that the childhood is the best phase of our life. Childhood is the way that God intends us to be but somewhere down the line, the corruption of the mind starts. The innocence of a child is beyond compare. By the time the child enters the double digit age and before the ‘undesirable’ thoughts enter his mind, he is entrusted with the sacred thread and the Gayathri Mantra to shield his heart from the attacks of the insidious. But then if he does not perform those rituals and consequently become vulnerable, it is another story!

After taking all the beating through our long march through life, our hearts become severely scarred. So the second childhood will not be as innocent as the first. There may be cynicism or hatred covering the heart like moss in a pond making it unusable. Coming back to the first childhood, I get very upset when the kids are told to tell a lie on phone when an ‘unsavory’ call comes through. We direct the child to tell a lie on many such occasions. We spoil the children by offering incentives even for doing their chores. We do not understand that in the long run, it will have a great impact on the mindset of the children as they grow old.

There is no one to judge who is superior or inferior. Remember the role played by a tiny squirrel in the construction of the bridge to Lanka and the reward that it got from the Hands of the Lord Himself? How many times we have heard of the story that for want of a shoe a war was lost? Nothing or no one is small or unimportant in this Universe. All those who believe that out of Nothing that Everything came into existence will never dismiss anything or anyone as insignificant or unimportant!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Pavi
    With the advent of TV, children are slowly losing interest in folklore that carry a lot of morals. As a young boy, an hour of these story sessions used to be a must before going to bed. I will not say that these stories stood us in good stead when we faced life's piquant situations but they certainly gave us a proper perspective to approach these problems.
    TV may be a good medium to educate the children but in imparting moral education , TV can never replace these folklore communicated orally!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear Sri
    That was a great statement! In any jigsaw puzzle, the smallest piece is as important as the largest in completing the picture. We are all such pieces in the Grand Jigsaw.
    The one who wrote about the Kolu was my first grand daughter. This one is the second.
    Sri

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

good to see the genes running in your family, Cheeniya Sir...

sriniketan

10. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

First, my respects Bow to you ... This is the first time I am reading and replying to your Thread and thanks to Kamalji who made it under Favourite Blogs ... Otherwise, I would have missed this lovely cute story that specially told by your GD Keetu ... I remember, stories told by my mom and sisters ... Those were the days but still my memories ... Now, my kids tells me stories listening from their teachers at school ... How nice to hear those stories in a 'Mazhalai Mozhi' ... Thanks for sharing your little one's story Sir and Thanks to Kamalji for sharing it in his favourite Blogs ... :) ...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008