1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The story of the five fingers

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anupama
    That is the most effective way to curb our tendency to compare ourselves with others. It only reminds me of the famous film song 'Aduthathu Ambujatha pathela!' Most of the middle class families ruin themselves by trying to compare and emulate the life style of their neighbours.
    The tendency to compare betrays a lack of self confidence. People who are supremely confident would never compare themselves with others.
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Krithika
    Lord Muruga is hailed as the Son that guides His Father! Every time, I visit Swami Malai, I am reminded of the adage "Child is the father of man" It is amazing how our eyes get opened by certain simple statements or actions of our children. There are any number of instances of the elders correcting themselves observing their children.

I earnestly join in your humble wish and pledge myself to work for a very cordial atmosphere in IL
    Sri

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

An apt topic at the right time.

I know you would have already read the story, but when it comes from GD it really took a different perspective isn't it. I would love to meet GD (whom I missed last time) and also the friend's mother, for exchanging stories. Though it may look out of topic, I feel we need more stories on these lines, rather than the stories of cindrella, and prince charmings.

It so happened we have a small problem in our flat and the neighbouring flat both built by the same builder. there was a small understanding which they did not abide so we had to take action. Since we have started living in the flat after so many years, the maintenance is in our hands.with vyas out of station , i have to represent. So this group representing the other flat came home. they are 5 of them out of which one person was not willing to accept. they told "See ma!,all the fingers in the hand are not same, since he is not willing to accept, we will cut him out and we four will abide.." I just smiled and told him mama, the moment you cut a finger your hand will not have the same use or strength as before, please explain and make the person understand the strength of the five of you being together. They said who has the patience to go and make him understand. I said it is not him alone who loses, all the 4 of you will be losers..still there is a cold war going on between all of them.

We humans forget the moral of the stories, that have been instilled in us from long long ago. we all are different, we each have a unique call, and a unique place in this world, then why comparisons, jealousies and then the complexes.

People who don't have self confidence will compare and wallow in self pity. but the one with the superiority complexes lashes out at others with his complex sometimes. some times i wonder if it is actually a inferiority complex that is disguised as superiority...

4. radha_chennai

radha_chennai New IL'ite

hello sir,
    Never heard this story till now .but its really inspiring and well written .
    radha.

5. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    That parting shot of your FB has made me somewhat contemplative. Maybe there is some truth in what you say. Just as people say that offence is the best form of defence, it is possible that some people fake a superiority complex to camouflage their inferiority complex. In the light of this new line of thought sown in me by you, I must start looking at all the 'complex' characters!

That story about the fellow occupants of your flats brings home the point that I was trying to make very strongly. The art of co-existence is getting increasingly a thing of the past. I strongly recommend the works of Lin Yutang for these people who have forgotton the art of living!

Yes You must meet up with my Guru and GD! I'll arrange it asap!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Radha
    I must thank my grand daughter for telling me this story at the most appropriate moment. It has helped me to douse the fire that was threatening to destroy the intense camaraderie in IL!
    Sri

7. Geetha Iyer

Geetha Iyer New IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

A great story with lots of moral in it and coming through a cute 5 year old makes it priceless. About the use of fingers I remember you have once posted about the use of two fingers. I am reminded of a saying connected with the fingers " If you point a finger of accusation at others remember that rest of the fingers are pointing towards you". So, I think one should correct oneself first before accusing others.

I am also reminded of this great saying with respect to the little finger " The world moves not just by the mighty heaves of its heroes but also by tireless sincere hardwork put by millions". I think this suites well here.

Regards,

Geetha Iyer

8. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir

such story coming frm 5 yr old after listening to her friend's mother is truly surprising.i wonder how tht mother of her friend explained all this to the kids.bcoz to make kids understand morals is a bit difficult task during this age as they r always in to questioning.

well ,coming to this story my fil had said this whn i was newly married 4 yrs bck n had been to him to seek his blessings after all the ceremony.but at tht time hardly i culd figure outthe reasons for his narrating the story,but later it came to my mind all the gist of it.

thanks to him bcoz today i hav smooth relations with all of them.thanks to u n ur grand daughter 2 for making me cherish those moments again.

Regards
    raji

9. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear sir,

thank you so much for such an uplifting story. Please thank your GD for conveying it to you.

10. Cheeniya

Dear Geetha
    Of all the lessons that our fingers teach us, what you have quoted in your FB above is the most priceless. Unfortunately, these lessons do not stay long in our minds. There is not a single tale that we would have heard from our elders that would not have something to say about the problems that we face in our later life.

More than anything else, fingers teach us the importance of team work. In these days of one-upmanship, the spirit of team work is completely lost. We must always remember that no member of a crew is ever praised for the rugged individuality of his rowing.
    Sri