1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

The Stinking Rose

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Raji01, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Raji01

Raji01 Bronze IL'ite

:hiya Friends,
    Allium Sativum,or Garlic is affectionately called The Stinking Rose.
    It belongs to the Lily family,including onion,chives and shallots.
    Garlic is one of Nature's wonder foods. It is both a food and a medicine. World's production exceeding 2 million tonnes explains
    everything.The importance of this herb was known even some thousands of years ago.From international restaurants to the desi
    dhaba, the presence of garlic is a must.

Garlic's pungent smell keeps some people away. When I was a child I used to think that only non vegetarians
    would eat garlic. Coming from orthodox family, we mostly avoided this valuable herb for a long time. But ,yes we gradually
    recognised the numerous benefits of this herb and now it occupies a very important place in our kitchen,except of course on festivals
    and relgious ceremonies.
    Garlic is not just used for flavouring or seasoning of food, but it is also extensively used for its medicinal properties. From minor
    ailments like common cold,cough,earaches and toothaches garlic is believed to cure even leprosy,asthma,bladder infections,heart
    attacks,stroke and hypertension.
    Garlic is an expectorant,thus reducing whooping cough and also Kapha dosha.
    In Ayurveda, garlic is called 'Rasuna' or'Ugragandhi'. Ayurveda says that garlic reduces Kapha and Vata doshas. So people with
    Pitha dosha should be careful using this strong herb or take doctor's advice before using it as medicine. According to Acharya
    Charaka , Garlic cures skin disorders and intestinal worm infestations. Garlic improves memory, eyesight.It enhances complexion
    and cures pimples and acne. Hoarseness of voice , athelete's foot,vaginitis are also cured with the use of garlic.

Garlic or Lahsun, can be taken raw or even cooked along with food. Eating just three garlic cloves either raw or cooked daily cures
    common cold ,cough and flu. .This is due to the anti-fungal,anti-viral,anti-bacterial properties of garlic .
    Eating raw garlic daily in the mornings with warm water cures skin ailments as the body is cleaned from inside and the blood is also
    purified.
    Garlic is a great antibiotic and reduces heart diseases like arteriosclerosis . It also cures bronchial congestion . It is a good source of
    Vitamin C and Vitamin B6.It also contains selenium and manganese.
    Another benefit of garlic , especially for people who are over weight (including me) is that it helps in weight control. Having one or two
    raw garlic cloves twice daily(morning and evening) along with warm water to which half a lemon juice is added helps in reducing
    weight .I think there would be no harm in trying .The anti oxidant properties in garlic can reduce the adverse effects of pollution and
    also reduce wrinkles to some extent.
    The juice or paste of garlic ,when applied to hair ,gets rid of lice.
    Garlic fried in ghee and taken along with rice daily, increases our life span.
    Garlic is thus, a Panacea that has come to our rescue. It is a gift to mankind from Mother Nature.
    There is not much clarity about the use of garlic by lactating mothers. While some believe that garlic consumed with milk increases
    the quantity of breast milk, some others believe that an infant could fall sick if the mother consumes 'hot' or pitta promoting foods like
    garlic and ginger. Personally I was benefited using garlic along with milk. but i would suggest that mothers should consult their
    doctor .
    Friends , there are two sides of a coin. If there are so many good things about garlic, there are a few adverse effects too.
    Knowing about them is equally important. Heart burn,upset stomach ,bloating ,flatulence,headache, body odour and bad breath after using
    garlic are a few but rather annoying side effects of using garlic. Lemons, mint or aniseeds can be used for bad breath.Having lots of
    water cures body odour. As garlic is a hot herb, having in limited quantities will be beneficial .A warm tomato soup flavoured with garlic would be very soothing in the winter.

It is important for pregnant women ,lactating mothers and patients going to have surgery or after surgery, to Consult their physicans before using garlic.
    Garlic is considered to have very low toxicity and is listed as Generally Recognized as Safe by the U.S. Food and Drug
    Administration.

2. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

Hi Raji,
    Wow such a great information.. very useful one.. I just love garlic, i like to eat them when fried.. Thanks for sharing..:)

3. Raji01

Raji01 Bronze IL'ite

hi Sharanyadevi
    thankyou for the first fb and that too so fast! garlic fries ...hmm ... have to try that out!:)
    i enjoy garlic rasam and in winters it really is very soothing.
    has anyone tasted garlic pickle ? it is very very yummy especially with hot rice and ghee.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. deepa04

deepa04 Gold IL'ite

very useful thread.
    :biglaugh

5. Raji01

Raji01 Bronze IL'ite

thankyou
    :biglaugh

6. suryayasaswini

suryayasaswini Silver IL'ite

HI raji
    very usefull information, thanks for sharing
    yes raji, garlic pickle with hot rice and little ghee wow........
    i just love that.
    syama

7. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

Oh Raji,
    The Garlic pickle is very yummy as you said. Even at times i used to just have curd rice and garlic pickle..
    Have you tried Durgalal product of garlic pickle? Thats it you will really love it...

8. Sundaramambika

Sundaramambika Bronze IL'ite

hi friend,
    very useful n healthy information.
    thanks for shearing:thumbsup......

9. Raji01

Raji01 Bronze IL'ite

hi syama
    thankyou.so ,you too love hot rice and garlic pickle(with ghee,of course)!
    just because of the pungent odour we cannot ignore such a lovely herb,right?

10. Raji01

Raji01 Bronze IL'ite

hi sharanyadevi
    yes, garlic pickle with curd rice is really yummy . i make the pickle at home or my mother makes for me . come summer, we are busy making pickles like mango,tomato,garlic,etc. it is more fun to make at home and pickles seem to be tastier too! am i not right?