1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Stalker

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

The Stalker,

A beautiful woman, she looked at herself in the mirror , almost acknowledging the numerous compliments that she had go used to regarding her beauty . And her eyes caught his reflection on the mirror sleeping soundly , oblivious to the dilemma that was going on within her. He was very involved with his work and his indifference towards her did nothing for the woman in her… She needed to be loved and held.
    She was doing the right thing , she convinced herself , the umpteenth time, there was no doubt about it. She has taken the right step .. He was too preoccupied with himself and she needed somebody. She needed Yashasvi.....
    Yashasvi , her net soul- mate as he fondly says had been a kind of reassurance to her , he made her feel all womanly again and she loved the feeling. He has been spending each day with her on the net and they were so compatible. She would chat with him for hours on phone whenever there was a chance. He too claimed to be a victim fo a bad marriage with three children.She was meeting him today for the first time , and she was wiping out any feeling of guilt that might be nurturing somewhere deep within her.
    Nirav left for work at ten mechanically finishing his morning routine and preoccupied as always. She waited at the door for him to leave expecting the peck or the kiss once a habit but now extinct. She was more sure now than before that ,she was doing the right thing. It was as if telling it to yourself a million times will justify your actions!
    She washed and dried her long tresses and decided to leave them open. Nirav had complimented her long tresses the first time they met, took out the turquoise blue saree that he said made her look heavenly and teamed it with her opal studs and rings . She looked unabashedly at her reflection approving of the sight. Stilettos on ,she was on her path to infidelity. Brushing all feelings of guilt , she stepped out to hail a cab . As she walked down the lane ,she felt someone following her. She looked back but couldn’t see anybody. She hailed a cab and reached the Gazebo much ahead of her time . As she seated herself she felt someone watching her . She looked around and couldn’t see anyone.She ordered a lime and soda. He was expected here any moment .How would it go? Would he be flirtatious, coquettish or respectful? From here where would they go? What kind of a commitment would he give? As she sipped the lime and soda that she ordered ,she heard Bryan Adams sing ”Everything I do I do it for you” she shut her eyes. How long back was that…He held her hand and took her to the dance floor . Very carefully holding her he lipsynced the song and she was blushing . He held her close so protective and the smell of his perfume sent her adrenaline soaring. He kissed her forehead and gently touched her tummy that wombed their little one. He was so ecstatic about her pregnancy. Each day began with the talks of the baby and ended with it .His love.... his future….his child…… a child who was never born and will never be!!!
    She opened her eyes felt a tear waiting to flow and quickly wipe it . Celine Dion was crooning ”All by myself” How apt! she thought. She called up Yashasvi. ‘Not Reachable’,said the message. And as she kept her cell down she felt someone watching her again. She looked around, with a lot of desperation this time and invited quite a few curious glances. Someone was watching her she was very sure . her instincts told her someone was very keenly observing her. She took a sip of her drink and wondered why she ordered lime and soda at all . this wasn’t her drink Infact this was Nirav’s drink. She almost always had chilled orange. Nirav used to force her to have all the possible fruit juices. He had showered her with so much love.. There was a lot of anticipation for his child and she had crushed it all. The doctors verdict was like a knife stab ,’You will never be a father again’. All because of her , because she didn’t listen to her gynaec’s warning . She was so much into her own self, her figure . She threw caution to the winds and went swimming. Nirav was very depressed. He would have made a doting father , but she had put an end to all those dreams . If only she had listened to him..If only she could turn back time .If only….If only this person would stop stalking her ..she flummoxed. She picked up her cell and called Nirav. She listened as he helloed and quietly she cut the line. Why did she call him? Well he called back ,”Jaanu whats the matter ?, Why didn’t you talk.? Is everything all right Are you ok” , “Yes” She said very quietly.Do you want me home ?’ What happened?” What would she tell him that she was on the verge of breaking a relation of so many years. She was about to betray his trust , She was being infidile And all this to a man who has never once betrayed her. Who never compared her to all the ladies who may not be half as beautiful but were blessed to become mothers, who was fidelity personified and who doesn’t know what his Jaanu is up to.’Sorry” she said quietly and cut the line. Sorry for all that I have done . Sorry for being so blind to your suffering Sorry that I was about to cross the line of faithfulness .She stifled her sob she placed a hundred rupee note on the table and rushed out almost colliding with a dashing young man at the door. She hailed a cab to go home . Her cell rang…Yashasvi.. He was probably the guy at the door .She cut the line and it rang intermittently. She switched it off.
    She switched on the fan and sat on her bed . What was she about to do? Why? Nirav maybe a little indifferent now but she was responsible for it. She was accountable for the misery she had inflicted in him and she was so blind to his suffering. She could never have been able to forgive herself had she been infidile She was merely looking for an excuse to pass on the blame on Nirav. She was as much to blame. This feeling brought a serenity to her flustered mind. Had she not stopped herself on time, she would never have been able to look at herself in the mirror without hating what she saw. Oh God ! If only Nirav realizes how terrible his Jaanu is….Jaanu ..Jaanu.. That was Nirav,, He was home. She ran to the door. There he stood all harried and worried, looking years older and she never once realized what these past few years had done to him. She flung herself at him and cried . He held her tight. “What happened Jaanu”. “Nothing, Just missed you so much “she cried ,hugging him
    Afterwards as she sipped her tea ,that Nirav had so lovingly prepared, she realized something very important , she realized the identity of THE STALKER .The Stalker was her own subconscious mind. Her subconscious mind followed her all through her home and was with her till she left the Gazebo .Her subconscious mind tried to make her see reason .her subconscious mind tried to prevent a mishap from talking place. A mishap that could have ruined the life of a wonderful couple.

Dear friends, Don’t we all experience this Stalker in our lives. When we err.. When we are unduly irresponsible, when we derive pleasure at the cost of someone’s discomfort , when we fight with the ones that we love so much ,when we are not able to give our own people their due, when we deliberately overlook the good doings of people and only remember the worst , when we disrespect someone who truly deserves worship, when we do not own up to our mistakes. We experience a heaviness within ourselves an inexplicable feeling that all is not well . That is the subconscious mind telling us to make amends and to atone for our sins so that we can all have a pure and harmonious existence. Life is full of varied experiences,trials and tribulations and each one is trying to exist , but the subconscious mind helps us realize that its not just about existence its about co-existence.

God Bless,

Devika

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008

2. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Hi DevikaBowBowBowBowBow

Even this is not enough for your wonderful piece of writing.

Its amazing !I was totally mesmerised. You have beautifully captured the dilemmas of a person who is on a wrong path and how one's own sub-conscious always warns oneself. Disastratous results are seen when people crush their sub-conscious mind or stop listening to it.

I wish people could listen to their sub-conscious minds, that would first and foremost put an end to all the corruption , hatredness and crime

Keep writing
    Ansh

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devika
    I am just speechless! What a wonderfully amazing piece of writing! It was as though I was Jaanu sitting there in the restaurant sipping a pensive glass of lime and soda. All the myriad emotions that Jaanu felt, I felt too.
    According to scriptures, even entertaining thoughts of adultery is a sin and though Jaanu ,aided by her faithful conscience, escaped physical commitment of the most heinous sin, she was punished by her own conscience through what she underwent mentally. If Jaanu is lucky to have a hubby like Nirav, he is even luckier to have a wife like Jaanu.
    I just cant believe that there is such a gifted writer in you. You bring out the emotions of your characters as vividly as if we feel them ourselves. I am certainly of the view that you should take up writing very seriously. I can see that you will be creating waves in the near future. I suggest that you seek guidance from seasoned professional writers like Varalotti in IL to polish your rough edges, not that there are any.
    God bless you, Devika
    Sri

4. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Ansh,

Thankyou so much to be the first one for the morale boosting that i can definitely do with.
    Its really true that a lot of unpleasantness can be erased from our lives if we care to listen to the voice of our sub conscious mind.

God Bless,

Devika

quote=ansh12;248523]Hi DevikaBowBowBowBowBow

Even this is not enough for your wonderful piece of writing.

Its amazing !I was totally mesmerised. You have beautifully captured the dilemmas of a person who is on a wrong path and how one's own sub-conscious always warns oneself. Disastratous results are seen when people crush their sub-conscious mind or stop listening to it.

I wish people could listen to their sub-conscious minds, that would first and foremost put an end to all the corruption , hatredness and crime

Keep writing
    Ansh[/quote]

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devika,

The repeated nominations by our 'star members' of this story for the Finest Post of the Month has brought me rushing here to read the same...and am I glad!

Savored every line of your story.
    The thoughts and emotions of Jaanu is so very lucid. I was able to feel every nuance of her anticipation, fear and remorse. A very 'woman' thing I guess.
    I loved the way you concluded by asking all of us to question our conscience when we err. To err may be human, but if we do not own up to it even to our own selves...well, that will not let us remain human.

A very nice little story Devika and your narration style is very gripping.

L, Kamla

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Thankyou so much for the FB . That from a versatile and eminent writer like you is a great blessing.
    Yes Sir , I am in total agreement with you. Nursing sinful thoughts is as grave a crime as committing the act itself and people should realize that listening to their subconscious mind can save them from such evil.

Sincerely,
    Devika

7. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Devika,
    Its a Masterpiece!! I was dumbstuck after reading this wonderful story.Your style of writing is too good. You hit the nail strong- The stalker!

Congrats for getting nominated for the FP.A well deserved one.

8. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Dear Devika,

There you go again with another great write-up of yours..

As Kamla rightly said that to err is human...but to realise that and take corrective actions is divine.

Warm regards
    Roopa.

9. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Aishu,

You called my article a masterpiece and made my day. Thankyou very much for the wonderful words of appreciation!!

God Bless,
    Devika

quote=aishu22;248693]Dear Devika,
    Its a Masterpiece!! I was dumbstuck after reading this wonderful story.Your style of writing is too good. You hit the nail strong- The stalker!

Congrats for getting nominated for the FP.A well deserved one.[/quote]

10. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Devika,
    That was a great piece.When you know you are about to do something wrong that might hurt you and dear ones it is better to stop youself before you are in for major trouble.Sometimes we make mistakes but it is important to realise and rectify it.
    Noteworthy snippet, great style, nice language. No wonder it got nominated to the FP. Keep them coming!!!!