The spiritual significance of Navaratri.

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Great Golu

Dear Usha,

Thanks for the e-kolu views and the thamboolam invite:) Enjoyed both. Looks like a lot of time and effort has gone into designing your kolu. It looks beautiful. All the best to you and your husband and family.

L, Kamla

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Usha,

Looks lovely.....my what patience ! Congratulate ur hubby also, so creative, and the idea if chariot is also so cool,....and the corner hill and temple also looked so neat !
    Wonder how u managed at that place....did u have ur friends visiting .....
    we have no such thing going on here, not many south indians also....so no fun!
    Anyway, thanks for sharing such lovely pictures and have a great time !

3. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Usha,

Thanks for your invitation. Your husband must be very artistic, looks very cute. How did he manage to do it? Have a wonderful Navrathri.
    Bye,

4. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamla, Sudha,Anjana,
    Thank you for the wonderful feedback. We have about 40 families visiting us. All our friends look forward to seeing something creative in our Golu every year. I am extremely happy to share these fotos with my IL friends. Shall pass on all due credits to my hubby.
    Regards
    USHA

5. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A Wonderful Golu, Usha!

Dear Usha,
    Thanks for the "Azhaitthal" for your home-golu. It is quite amazing. It is quite evident that you and your husband should have put in a lot of work to get that wonderful effect. The Golu arrangement is creative. One thing I like about it is that it is not cluttered and looks well-arranged. Very neatly and precisely done. Of course when a chartered accountant has a golu, how else it can be?

I am reminded of the Golu we used to have in our house in the early 70s. In those days there were not much materials and we had to make do with our ingenuity. I still vividly remember taking up the 9 wooden planks specially made for the purpose from our garage loft. I, my two brothers and sisters would clean them, wash them up and then arrange them. There used to be lot of dolls. My brother was (and is )a creative painter and artist. He will give the overall scheme and we will do the work.
    Sorry for this "malarum ninaivugal" but your Golu picture just brought them out.

Wish you all the best, Usha. May you and yours be blessed with everything in life.

Wish you all the best, Usha,
    sridhar

6. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Thank you Sridhar

Dear Sridhar,
    Thank you for the wonderful mail. Your "Malarum Ninaivugal" brought a smile to my lips. To be very honest, most of the work has been done by my husband, well assisted by my daughter. I was very anxious to share these photos with our IL family.

Regards
    USHA

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thankyou, my dear Ushakrishnan !

Though Sridhar has already mentioned, I cannot help mentioning that your kolu photos evoke enjoyable malarum ninaivukal of my younger days in Madurai. My athai used to draw important secenes from one epic like Ramayana every year. We would paste them on hardboard, cut & make them stand erect in appropriate order by providing a small support. I just feel like bursting out "anda naalum vandidado" !
    My congratulations to you & Sri Krishnan for all the effort, you have put in.
    Very kind of you to post the photos.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hello Usha,

Just now, I PMed you. The golu is very beautiful to see that too, with the wheels like it is in ratham!!! Wow, what a wonderful idea??

And, yr temple, small kulam everything was superb. If possible, pls send me a close up shot photo either here or to my hotmail id. Will upload my golu photo too.

Thanks.

9. sumisen

sumisen Senior IL'ite

Hi Usha
    wow very Nice golu. Beautifully decorated. In abudhabi many of my friends have golu. We have very nice time all the nine days meeting friends and children especially have very good time. Generally for past 2, 3 years Navarathri was during Ramadan and we had very nice time. But this year Exams will start. \\

Any way all Nine days will be colorful. Happy Navarathri. Looking forward for your Photographs of this year's Navarathri.

Bye
    Sumisen

10. revathy45

revathy45 Bronze IL'ite

Dear chitraji,
    Loved the beautiful explanation.Very nice.
    Love,
    Revathy.