The spiritual significance of Navaratri.

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Yes Kamla, now you know what I meant !

As a grand mom our responsibility increases in learning more & more about our culture. Don't you agree, it is unparalleled ?
    Imagine Miru papa in a pattu pavadai chattai, holding your hands, accompanying you to every house for golu - does not that very thought make you jump from your chair ? Pray that it should happen some day !
    Thanks for your very nice F b - you all just melt me !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Happy Navarathri!

HAPPY NAVARATHRI TO Chitra and all of you out there.....
    This navarathri is special to so many of us , i feel....we all seem to be bonded by IL and i am sure we will all think of each other in the next coming 10 days.....
    And special thanks to Chitra, you will definetely be there with us, be it the pooja room, or kitchen .....
    I am missing the festive feeling here....but will try to recreate it at home and visit the temple and durga pooja celebs to get the feeling!
    So happy Celebrations !

3. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Navrathri Wishes

I also extend my hands with Sudha in wishing each adn every one of you here , a Happy Navrathri..... Let loads of happiness and joy knock in all your houses!! :)

Regards,
    Purnima

4. mangalam

mangalam New IL'ite

Dear chitra,

Your note on the significance of Navarathri is very impressive.Though I have a vague awareness of this, I may not have been able to explain so logically and convincingly. Though I am a regular reader of all the threads in IL, especially the spiritual columns, this is the first time Iam writing to you. All of us have found a good teacher in you.Thank you so much.Feeling a bit odd to call you chitra, but i think you prefer that.
    Wish you and your family and all of IL a very Happy Navarathri
    mangalam

5. Chitvish

Mangalam, welcome to this forum !

I am very happy to interact with you. Please feel free to call me Chithra.
    It is nice to know that you read all the threads. Please do send me feed backs. I do need them and I feel happy and satisfied that I am able to share, what little I know, enjoyably with you.
    Thankyou for writing to me.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

My dear Friends !

I am posting below the photo of Golu, kept in a friend's house. These dolls are available in Khadi Grramodhyog Bhavan and are very beautiful. I am posting 2 photos.
    This is for your viewing pleasure.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

7. Chitvish

Yet another photo !

The following is the photo of the kalasham, customarily kept in Golu. Behind that is a pair of "marappachi bommais", kept for shastram in many houses.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Lovely sight

Dear Chitra,

Now you are making my Navarathri special with these pictures. What a beautiful golu decoration. It looks beautiful, auspicious, neat and extremely decent. The minimalistic appearance only adds to its beauty. I simply loved the effect all the silk hangings and the border of the cloth around the step and the colour effect of the cloth produce. I have lost touch with these things and it is a revelation to me how these decorations have evolved today. Thanks for sharing so kindly with us.
    As children, those 'marapachi bommais' were all that we had to play with!! It made me nostalagic___been ages since i have seen them around:)

L, Kamla

9. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Navarathri Greetings

Hello ILites,
    U R all cordially invited for the e-golu Thamboolam:). The Golu steps shaped like a chariot & the Siva temple have all been designed and created by my husband.
    I am very eager to have your comments/ feedback.
    I have sent the attachments as a ZIP file. Please Let me know if there is an easier way to do this.
    Regards
    USHA KRISHNAN

Attached Files:

10. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Zipped files, now in jpg format.

Regards
    USHA

Attached Files: