The Special Charm of the Gita

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, May 31, 2007.

1. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Lately I feel Gita appeals to me even more a million thanks you. You have done a wonderful job condensing what Gita really means. I was always under the impression that to be a Gita student you have to renounce the world. Of late Gita seems to help me during tough times and put things in perspective. Waiting to read future episodes from you. Thanks for all the trouble you take to instill some thoughts in me.
    Love,

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radha,
    Thanks for the F B.
    There are various misconceptions prevailing about Gita ! Many think, it teaches detachment - no not at all ! Gita teaches how to live harrmoniously with others, doing your duty to the call of your own conscience & not be botheed about wat others say about you. All said & done, you are answerable only to yourself.
    Do your duty, that is best. Leave unto the Lord, the rest.
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  3. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

I always thought B.Gita is something beyond human understanding. I thought it isn't for the common man.... but after reading your mails on Gita, I do feel like listening to the Gita. the more I read the more I want.

I liked the phrase stressing the importance of duty. yes, the world would be more harmonious if everyone of us atteneded to our duties well.

I would love to read more about the Gita. pls do add on more and more such threads on Gita.

Love,

4. Chitvish

Dear Meena,
    Thanks for your feedback.
    I wonder why the idea that Gita is not for coommon man or not practical to be followed in daily life is so widely prerevalent !
    I am just framing various articles on gita & realise, there is so much of counselling as well !
    Please stay tuned to Gita through me, Meena !
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear chith,
    the title of the post is very attractive and motivating. I liked many of the sentences to mention a few-the hindu culture was more associatecd with the hum of ganga and hymn of the snow peaks.I also liked how Gita is a practical handbook which helps to organise our thinking ,feeling and acting.Your reference to Gita as a practical handbook brings it very near our hearts and daily routine. Indeed Gita is inexhaustible.Thank you for refreshing our mind.
    Looking forward to more enlightening posts on Gita
    Regards,
    meenu

6. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithra m'am,

You have beautifully given an explanation of what the Gita actually is. It is to be read and understood and more importantly, put into practise by one and all. But like most feel, (even me at times), it is beyond the common man. By it, i mean, its preachings, its lessons.

I guess mainly one needs to understand it, only then will the realization come that it *can* be followed.

The guru you have, does he explain in English? (or only Tamil?) I would love to attend the classes if it is possible - hope he takes on weekends!

best,
    hasita

7. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

And if he takes in Hindi, nothing like it!

8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    I also always enjoy reading anything on Gita.....and i liked this comprehensive post on the CHARM of Gita! I too liked these lines.....so apt for describing hindu culture....poetic....
    Thus Hindu culture was more associated with the hum of River Ganga and the hymn of the snow-peaks.
    ..... the world has only its laws and no mercies ! Gita expounds a science of reconstructing one’s personality.

Please keep giving us more on Gita....its always a pleasure to read on this subject!

1 person likes this.
  9. Chitvish

Dear Meenu,
    Thankyou very much for your feedback !
    I want to dispel all false notions about Gita. How else can I do without giving a suitable title to the post? That is hoW the title, the special charm of Gita, occurred to me !
    Pray God that I should be able to share with you what little I have learnt in Gita in a simple, easily understandable way !
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Dear Hasita,
    Thankyou for coming to this forum & joining this thread.
    Please learn Gita without any preconceived notions that

it is beyond the common man. By it, i mean, its preachings, its lessons.

No, no, no. By learning Gita, acceptance to people & situations start coming to you with less effort - I will never say effortlessly ! Is it not what we need for our happiness in life ?

My teacher takes classes on Sat & Sun evenings at Adyar Vidyamandir frm 6 - 7 PM. He lectures only in english because the crowd is cosmopolitan.
    Love,
    Chithra.