The Special Charm of the Gita

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, May 31, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The Hindu culture has survived many millenniums, unlike many other different cultures which had withered away into chaos over a period of time. This is possible only because our culture has the required elasticity to embrace all the new dimensions into which our society grew, with the march of time.

We read in scriptures about the discussions held by the Rishis and their disciples, along river banks and many references are made to mountains, trees, silence and the spirit of retirement of the jungles. Thus Hindu culture was more associated with the hum of River Ganga and the hymn of the snow-peaks. There was a misconception that one should renounce he world and retire into silent contemplation and meditation without fulfilling one’s duty. If this had been followed, our culture would have died away. This is totally against the dynamic spirit of our culture. It is here, that we realise the importance of Gita.

It is a practical hand-book of instruction on how best we can organize our ways of thinking, feeling and acting in everyday life. We learn to draw from ourselves productivity to enrich life outside and around us. Gita unfolds a way of life by living which, we can grow to be socially more productive and individually more poised and tranquil, pursuing a peaceful life.

Vigorous life expresses itself in problems. When we arrive at a solution, it is no more a problem. We require knowledge to meet life’s challenges around us. With the help of the knowledge, we arrive at a solution and there is no more despair. Arjuna represents the youth who tend to take things and happenings as problems where there are none and feel despair.

It is our blessing that Gita is ready and willing to lift the young hearts from a state of confusion. Gita gives us a motherly embrace and helps us solve our problems. It gives us total security, which, we are not sadly aware of.
    Gita is a ready-made text book which serves us where we are, whoever we may be, whatever be our problem. It serves us irrespective of place, time, caste and creed.

Gita indicates in detail, the ways of tuning up our personality all by ourselves. The core of the Gita contains the life-giving technique which can pour fresh vitality into the heart and muscles of the younger generation. The Gita way of life can accomplish the miracle of making man stand up even against odds and come out successful in the end. It teaches us the art of making right contacts with the world outside, since, sadly, the world has only its laws and no mercies ! Gita expounds a science of reconstructing one’s personality. It makes our inner personality whole and strong, gives us a new-found confidence to meet any problem and we feel, certain of success and sure of victory.

This is the special charm of the Gita.

Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Lovely write-up as usual. Reading the (interpretations of) Gita has always provoked my intellect & given me a solemn peace. It has always taken me to this serene place where I can make decisions with a clear mind.

Can you post the Sanskrit verse for which the popular translation goes like this "ethu nadanthatho athu nandragave nadanthathu..." ?

L.

3. Chitvish

Dear Lavanya,
    Thankyou veryu much for the quick F B.
    I am a student of Gita for the past 11 yrs. I am ready to accept that I have not grasped even a fraction of the teachings. But I can't deny that when in a disturbed state of mind, some verses do soothe me. My outlook on life has changed & I am able to accept people & situations better !
    As far as I know, there is no one particular verse which conveys " ethu nadanthalum----". That iis more a gist of the Gota.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2 people like this.
  4. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra Madam

Your post on Gita (incl the earlier post) is very inspiring. Some day, God willing, I would also learn them and try to understand....from what I have heard the versus in Gita is very difficult to understand and has some indepth meaning and for each line interpreatations may vary. Is it true? You said you are a student of Gita.....Is soemone teaching you? It would be nice if you can share your experiences on that.............

5. Chitvish

Dear Akhila (AGR),
    Thankyou for joining us here.
    I am attending the classes by Swami Paramarthananda. He takes classes, at various places in Chennai like Adyar Vidyamandir, Asthika samajam, Sterling club & Annanagar. He teaches different scriptural texts at different places.
    He teaches, rather takes class in detail. He does not just lecture.
    I personally believe in learning scriptural texts under a competent guru. Then all our doubts are cleared & we get an explanation for every word. If we study on our own, I feel, our doubts will continue & we will understand to our own interpretation. My teacher explains in detail & so it is very enjoyable.
    By attending Gita lectures, you get doubts. By attending classes, the doubts are cleared !
    This is my second round of Gita. First time, I was trying to understand, now I am enjoying. It is on the insistence of my teacher, that I am writing these posts at all !
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  6. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

A very charming write-up. Your introductions to Gita are very interesting and definitely kindles interest in pursuing a detailed study. I specifically liked the line -

'It is a practical hand-book of instruction on how best we can organize our ways of thinking, feeling and acting in everyday life. We learn to draw from ourselves productivity to enrich life outside and around us. Gita unfolds a way of life by living which, we can grow to be socially more productive and individually more poised and tranquil, pursuing a peaceful life.'

Many thanks to Sri Paramarthananda to motivate you to write this. Thanks much for spelling out the charm of the Gita...!

-Gayathri.

7. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra.
    It is very good article. As usual I read it immediately after you post it. I think I am not matured enough like you to follow the insturctions from geeta. Still as you had mentioned it is very powerful to read when I am in difficult times.

Thanks for your work and keep posting.
    Wtih love
    Birundha

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Haa, at last the much awaited theme is taking form with your efforts Chithra:)
    That was a beautiful intro to Gita. Loved some of your words immensely:

--Thus Hindu culture was more associated with the hum of River Ganga and the hymn of the snow-peaks.
    --Vigorous life expresses itself in problems.
    --sadly, the world has only its laws and no mercies ! Gita expounds a science of reconstructing one’s personality.

The above lines are only few of the examples which surely drives the message right into one's heart.

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  9. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    Thankyou for the feedback.
    Next I plan to write, rather I have just started drafting Gita, is a discovery of life & the Universal appeal of Gita.
    The more I read to write these posts, the more I fall in love with the Gita.
    Yes, I cannot thank my teacher enough for his blessings.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Dear Kamla,
    Thankyou for the F B.
    I am happy, I got a F B on the same day of posting, after quite sometime, from you !:mrgreen:
    Since you are a student of the Gita, your appreciation will be more & rightly so !
    Love,
    Chithra.