1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Significiant Mangal Sutra

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Jul 17, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

The significiant mangalsutra:

I have a last young sister who never believes in all those traditions of our great hindu culture, so one day as she walked up to me and started whispering in my ears and I had problem catching her statement.
    I could not comprehend her action and still dazed went inside and got myself a nice yellow thread of the mangal sutra which we wear and took out one pair of it and put it into the thread and tied it myself in front of god then removed my other which was in gold chain and handed it to her, she was very happy ran to her husband and both vanished to Chennai, to see her mother in law.

Now u might wonder many things, why of all the things mangalsutra, they had their difficult times and had sold all jewellary along with the mangalsutra to tied over, and unfortunately her mother in law insisted she visit them as she was a heart patient and admitted in the ICU. So she borrowed mine and has gone to see her with my mangalsutra. My husband wondered what is going on, whatever may be the situation was his argument u sisters don’t have any limit to share, come on, do u know what is the meaning of she wearing ur mangalsutra, and I had a earful but how else could I had helped her.

Some tamil saying is there when u have a husband like arjuna in front of u why u need a mangalsutra to remind u r married….regards sunkan

2. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

hi,
    moving post:cry:
    hope ur sister sees better times
    we north indians do not have a mangalsutra kind of thing..but maybe sindoor
    i myself do not follow any of these..anyway..wot do indian males where to show they r marrried...don't know.../?

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

today i think among all of us she is the one who is a high tide with a nice home and a nice car, and a admin position with IBM she never used to sell to do meagre but to buy house and all that, so dont go by what i have mentioned in life people cry and when u actually see they are crying for lakhs and not for thousands or hundred like some....regards sunkan

4. sm_dinoji

sm_dinoji New IL'ite

very touching.
    i haven't removed my mangal sutra from the day i married that is two years back.
    i donot know whether i will do the same thing as you have done for your sister. You have the courage and belief to do the right thing.

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sunkan
    This article of yours reminded me of the instance my co-sister related to me long time back.
    My co-sister used to take it out during the nights and wear it in the morning during her first years of marriage. One day she forgot to wear it and her maid -servant found it and gave it to her. I was surprised to learn that.
    I also came to know that some people take it out, when they go out for work and coming back they wear it in the house.
    Anyway, in your case , your presence of mind is appreciated.
    Sriniketan

6. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

Sunkan m'am,
    I think you have a great heart to take out your mangalsutra like that, and lend it to your sister. :thumbsup
    best,
    hasita