The Significance of SOUND in Hindu Culture

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

In Hindu culture, the words “ Mantra Sastra” describe the science of sound. There are different mantras to affect the particular parts of the body and the mind. Each mantra is constructed from a combination of sounds which have a definite and predictable effect on the human psyche and body. An obvious example is the difference between classical and rock music. The former tends to relax while the other is inclined to excite the
    senses.

In temples mantras are chanted and very often we feel peaceful after a temple visit. There is a spiritual vibration, which we cannot see, but feel.

In pujas , main deity is consecrated thus. Many Kalashas ( pots )are filled with water and mantras are chanted to charge the water with spiritual force. We can understand better by the comparison of a plain wire and charged wire. A plain wire has no power to energize or electrify. If a current is passed through the wire, it beomes charged and is called a “ live” wire. Sound has the effect on water to energize it. This water is poured on the idol to invoke the deity in the form and the idols attain sanctity.

Sound therapy is employed on our bodies also. Saura Suktha, a vedic hymn to the sun, if chanted correctly a certain number of times after feeding a diabetic man with plenty of sweets, allows him to sweat profusely and brings down his blood sugar to normal ! Even if Vedic mantras are chanted without understanding their meaning, positive effects are produced on the body. This only shows the power of vedic mantras. But they have to be chanted in the correct meter and the pronounciation has to be perfect. It is best learnt from a qualified teacher and self-learning of vedic mantras is not advisable.
    The sound of Mantras have a spell-binding effect and a toning impact on the human mind and help achieve mental peace.

We ring the bell, as soon as we enter a temple. This gives an auspicious sound and we gain the vision of God who is the personification of auspiciousness. During arathi we ring the bell and in some customs, the conch is blown. This is mainly to drown any inauspicious sound and noises and irrelevant comments made, which is likely to distract the devotee when he is seeking concentration and inner peace.

When we perform pujas at home, we perform Ghanta Puja which purifies the atmosphere and removes all negative energy. The following mantra is chanted when ringing the bell;

Aagamaartham thu devaanaam gamanaartham thu rakshasaam
    Kurve ghantaaravam thathra devathaahvaana laanchanam

" I ring the bell to mark the invocation of the deity and invite virtuous and noble forces to enter my heart and home. I also mark the departure of destructive and evil forces to depart my heart and home."

Sound energy is also used in holistic healing to treat insomnia, fatigue and stress related conditions. Spontaneous healing takes place because of energy synchronization.

Chanting casettes and CD s of “ Aum” and other similar mantras nourish our physical, emotional and spiritual being.

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3 people like this.

2. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

very lucid, bravo

dear chithra,
    i have opened this column at least 3or 4 times wondering y you have not yet posted thursday special. I am very happy to read it. In fact reading the column relaxed me completely. This is a good piece for youngsters. I am eagerly awaiting reactions and feedback.
    Keep the good work.
    Regards,
    Meenu

3. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Music to ears

Hello Chithra,

Well that posting about vedic mantras were music to ears and that too devine Carnatic music.

I usually play Veena Gayathri's instrumental recital when i do some special poojas. switch on the mantra box that recites Gayathri mantram and "Om" and "Narayana" mantras in the evenings. It just makes the ambience very serene and charged.

Ohhh.. I thought the kalashas are basically very sacred becos the water is taken from the rivers in punitha sthalams. Now I am enlightened that it is also charged by the vedic mantras recited in the temple.

Keep the good work going to enlighten us .

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

feast for our eyes & ears.......

Dear Chitra,

I missed the piece on kolam last week & going thru all the posts & the beautiful kolams from you and Kamla & the tips made a wonderful reading.
    while last week's post was feast to the eyes, this week's post - pure enchanting music to our ears.

Both the posts were enlightening. I really didn't know the significance of kolams. what is the kaavi borders that you've mentioned?? do you get it in the form of powder OR as liquid ?? what is ezai kolam????

I've never tried kolams in my life but seeing your posts tempts me to try.
    you really inspire us, Chitra!!!

Love & regards,

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

in resonance with u,Mrs C

Dear Mrs C,

Today's post on sounds, mantras was the best so far. I really liked the stylish and substantial piece that u have written. Thanks, did not know all this before. Especially loving the shlokam to chant when ringing the bell.

Too bad, next Thursday is seven days away.

Lots of love
    Vidya

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

music to our ears!

Dear Chitra,

My , my you seem to be so full of knowldge....and the amazing way you pen them all down for us is simply superb! So much of info and so easy to comprehend! really our ndian culture has so much in it and you are doing a wonderful job, bringing forth all these in a resounding manner!:p :clap

We are all seeking ways to be at peace , and all these were always available in the form of our vedic mantras always....shows how strong and deep our Indian roots are!

7. Chitvish

thankyou, Meenu !

So you have said " Ready, steady, go " to the feedbacks !
    I am glad you liked this "sound of cultural music" !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

Lakshmi, thankyou !

For your information, Veena, being Sarasvathi's is supposed to be the most sacred of musical instruments.
    There is much more to write about sound - but I try to be brief to keep the tempo from sagging.
    Yes, manthra chanting box is a beautiful concept of the present day !
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

Thanks for the loving post, Meena !

Kavi is a maroon powder available in all shops in Chennai. It is made into a paste with water & drawn as a contrasting red border around the whie kolam.
    Ezai kolam - raw rice is ground & the kolam is drawn in lines, gradually building up with twirls, floral designs - just allow your imagination to let go !
    Makolam is drawn with a paste of raw rice ground fine. This is a must for all functions in many houses.
    All these bring out the artistic talent of the lady of the house !
    Thanks for your post !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Vidya, you are my perfect shruti-box !

Thankyou for the mail.
    To edit & write a gist of all points from my notes is the toughest thing for me, since I do not like to leave out a single point, " unmentioned" !
    I put a lot of effort unlike my ask chitvish column & so your praise is beautiful music to my ears !
    Keep tuned, my shruti-box !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.