The significance of Aum or Om

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Aum, also known as Om is the most sacred and most powerful word-symbol for Hindus. It is also called Pranavam or primordial mantra because most mantras and Vedic prayers start with it. Pranava means it runs through our breath and pervades our life. Aum is chanted before starting auspicious actions. ” Hari Aum” is used as a greeting as well.

Aum has the distinction of being both articulate and inarticulate, alphabetical and with intonation. It has a deep philosophical significance. It is used for chanting and meditation. The above two aspects together help an individual attune with the Eternal Being.

In the symbol there are three curves and a dot. In an individual’s consciousness there are three states, waking, dream and deep sleep. They are symbolized by the upper curve, right side curve and the lower curve respectively. Thus the three curves represent the entire physical phenomenon. The dot represents the Absolute which illuminates the three states. The semicircle open at the top signifies that the Absolute is infinite.

Even though the meaning of Aum is profound, we use it in everyday life. We begin our day or any work or a journey by uttering Aum. The sacred symbol is often found at the head of letters, at the beginning of examination papers and so on. Many Hindus, as an expression of spiritual perfection, wear the sign of Aum as a pendant. This symbol is enshrined in every Hindu temple premise in some form or another.

Aum , the universal name of the Lord is made up of three letters A U and M. The sound emerges from the base of the throat as A. When the lips come together U is formed. When the lips are closed, the sound ends in M. Besides the three states of onsciousness, the three letters are supposed to signify various fundamental triads such as
    The three deities – Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva
    The three vedas - Rig, yajur, sama
    The three gunas - satva, rajas, thamas
    The three worlds - Bhuh, Bhuvah, Suvah

The silence between the chanting of two Aums represent the Lord who has no attributes.

This Aum chanting fills the mind with peace and focusses it and is the symbol of cosmic reality. While meditating, when we chant Aum, we create within ourselves a vibration that attunes sympathy with the cosmic vibration and we start thinking universally.

Thus Aum, the supreme and most sacred syllable is the spoken essence of the universe. It is uttered as a mantra and in affirmations and blessings. In a nutshell Aum symbolises everything – the means and the goal of life, the world and the Truth behind it, the material and the Sacred, all forms and the formless.

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

A photo of Aum is posted below. Next is posted yet another one !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
    1 person likes this.

2. Chitvish

Photo of floral Aum.

Dear All,
    I am posting a photo of "floral Aum". When I went to Madurai, I noted that the nurse ( yet another Chithra!) appointed to look after my mother, is very good at floral decoration in kolams. My mother has a beautiful garden, almost exotic-looking. So I made her do a few decorations for associated topics, to be posted here.
    Here it goes, for your viewing pleasure, my dear friends !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hari Aum Ms C

Another Beautiful piece from you. I have read the Aum explanation before , but it is good to read it again. The floral Aum is so beautiful. Is that Madurai Malli?

Vandhana

4. Chitvish

Hari Aum, Vandhana !

Though aware that almost everybody should be knowing the topic, I did'nt want to leave out this atleast for the sake of academic interest !
    Thankyou for the first F B.
    Yes, it is Maduari Malli - the Maduraikari in me will settle for nothing less than the original !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Shoekran Habibi

Dear Chitra,
    My admiration for you is growing by the day! Where do I start? the wonderful write up on AUM / the lovely AUM picture (this must be in the altar!!) or the floral Kolam of AUM or most imprtantly your thought of gettitng floral kolams from your name sake for us ILites!!!
    I have so much to learn from you!!:)

Regards
    USHA

6. Chitvish

Hari Aum, Usha !

I am very happy that you are getting drawn to my forums - I cannot but feel justifiably proud !
    Aum symbol is in my house right from the entrance door, all over ! Being an energy student, I believe it prevents negative energy from entering and ushers in positive energy. What more can we ask for, in our home, sweet home ?
    I do have gold finish ( rather looking like it) Aum & swastik stickers, which is my standard gift to everybody who visits me for the first time. You are most welcome to come & collect yours, Usha !
    I do hope habibi means friend & not an elderly person. I know you are sweet enough not to offend a youngster like me - ha ha ha !
    Thankyou for the feedback.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. Padmavathi

Padmavathi New IL'ite

Exemplary!!!

Hello Madam Chitvish,

I am a new member here. :) I was really so overwhelmed when i saw all these slokas and descriptions on this slokas also.

Actually during browsing for slokas i got this website and read each slokas which was very usefull to me and became a member here after that.

Thanks a lot for this spiritual work.

Padma:-D

8. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    Happy to read about AUM..This is first time I read an article related to it..
    The pic of floral aum is so sweet!
    Could you please post some articles about Positive energy? would like to know..
    love you,
    Seena.

9. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

Aum

That was a wonderful posting on the meaning of Aum. The kolam is absolutely divine. I am a fan of mallipoo and the flowers look so beautiful!

Could you please share more info on positive energy? May be there are simple everyday things we can avoid doing, to promote positive energy.

Thanks!

10. Chitvish

Hari Aum, Padma !

Welcome to this one-stop site for Indian women ! I hope you will enjoy all the forums here. It is sheer pleasure to interact with the ladies here !
    Thanks for your mail.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.