1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The satchet revolution!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Soldier, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Those days, whenever a new product was introduced in the market I used to love to try them out – new washing powders, kitchen cleaners, ready mixes like Badam Feast (which can be added to hot or cold milk and enjoyed), fabric softeners, whiteners etc. But then if I buy them and don’t derive the satisfaction or the money’s worth, I may get disappointed. So to avoid that I used to wonder whether to buy or not? And by the time the product gets stabilized in the market, I would have gathered an opinion poll and then buy if I feel I would like else drop the idea.

But these days, thanks to the `sachet revolution’, we get anything and everything in sachets which we can use like trial packs and if satisfied we can go ahead and purchase the required number. Now even a paan shop hangs garlands of these satchets of shampoos, fairness creams, washing powders, fabric softeners, ready to use mixes like puliogare mix, condiments like jeera powder, pepper powder, pickles etc. Even cough expectorants and some herbal medicines are available in sachets.

Some brands of shampoos may not be suitable to the individual’s hair. So the sachet comes in handy so that you can try out trial packs and then decide. Even hairoil is available in satchets which come in handy while you travel.

Some products though not available in sachets are available in small quantities that are really helpful for the buyers / consumers.

For items like idly chilly powder, dhal powder (paruppu podi) etc. generally we have it only home made. But in exigencies, these are also available in satches, which really help us as saviours. Sometimes, if my available stock is found insufficient while returning home late after outing, I very comfortably get these satchets and mix them with the home made stock and no one would be able to even guess my trick!!!. Only thing, we have to be careful about the brand we choose, because some may be too spicy and contain lots of masala. And not the forget the coffee / tea powders in sachets, sometimes if there are sudden unexpected guests and we have no time to prepare filter coffee, these come to our rescue.

Thanks to the sachet revolution, `decision making’ in household routine also has become easy.

So folks, should we not salute these satches?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mallika,

Yes sachets are very handy.You know i use only the one rupee shampoos for my hair, rather than buy that 70 or 80 rupee bottle.And the quantity in sachets is more value for money too. So my bathroom resembles a pan wala shop with cocnut oil in sachets, shampoos etc.:biglaugh

and if need be i can sell it to the neigbours too .HAHA

Regards

kamal

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mallika
    Enjoyed your sachet revolution:biglaugh
    one way what you say is right, but i just can't use these sachet don't know why I always feel it is less. Last time when I went to India I brought some for lemon rice, and some chicken dish powder pack but whenever i use to use them always use to have a feeling oh this is too little.
    I even used those shampoos but it is never enough for me, might be I use too much or I have some funny feeling about this sachets that it is less:biglaugh:biglaugh
    I never feel satisfied with the quantity of the sachet.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  4. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Soldier

Hey really nice post about the revolution the companies brought by providing everything in sachets.

But somehow, i never bought shampoo or anything in sachets. I somehow stick with one brands, but yes as you said for trial and error that concept is good too.:)

But yes, you said, tea/bru, or some parupu podi, comes handy, when our home stock is finished and we need them immediately.

have a gr8 day.

5. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Soldier & Satchet or Sathcet & Soldier?

How nice it will be if we could get a satchet of happiness, friendliness, humour, patience etc.

In this fast paced environment, people do need satchets of different emotions. Don't you think so Soldier.

Good one Mallika.

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Soldier,
    Really awonderful post. You have correctly mentioned about the " Sachets" playing an important role in deciding .
    Companies are studying behavior patterns and preferences of rural consumers and devising strategies to hook them on to consumerism.
    Over the years, the sachet strategy has proved so successful that, according to an ORG Marg data, 95 per cent of total shampoo sales in rural India is by sachets. A decade ago, Hindustan Lever Ltd (HLL) experimented with a marketing strategy of sachets. The aim was to initiate rural consumers to use shampoo in the place of traditional alternatives and in the process increase sales volumes and make shampoo affordable for the masses. These LUP one-time-use packs proved popular with the consumers. Urban co nsumers, too, have responded enthusiastically to sachet shampoos, as also the hotel industry.This is the case with all the consumer products.
    with love
    pad
    Dear Nats,
    The emotions should come in abundance. If it come in sachet, people may throw it :)!!!

7. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear Mallika,
    I totally agree with you.This bloodless knifeless revolution(you have to be carful in cutting open the sachet,that is a different matter altogether( of presenting things in sachet is one of the nicest things that marketing gurus have intoduced.Iam vary about buying pickles in sachets,other things are ok.
    love
    mithila

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear malls,
    very true.sachets have come to stay and very helpful while trying out a product for the first time.
    but i am generally someone whose kitchen has to be well stocked so never comfortable with the quantity in a sachet.
    the only thing I buy in sachets is Eno ( for the spongy dhoklas ) as it gets crystallized in bottles.:)

9. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Mallika

Enjoyed reading your post. Yes now a days we can first try the satchet then if we like it buy in large quantity. Now a days everything is made easier

love
    viji

10. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear soldier...
    Sachets are a fantatic marketing strategy... actually the amount you pay is more for the quantity you buy but the satisfaction of getting something for just 1 ruppee... beats it all...
    My MIl loves to say that she uses only 4 sachets of sunsilk every month not realising that the same would be cheaper if she bought the bottle!!!....
    Thats MARKETING....
    K

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010