THE ROLE OF WOMEN - Hindu custom

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by padmaiyangar, Mar 19, 2008.

1. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

THE ROLE OF WOMEN - Hindu custom
    In traditional Hindu culture, women are held in the highest regard -- far more respected, in truth, than in the West. But this does not imply the kind of equality or participation in public interactions that are common in the West. The qualities traditionally most admired in a Hindu woman are modesty of manner, shyness and self-effacement. Self-assertive or bold tendencies are regarded with circumspection. Feminine refinements are expressed and protected in many customs, including the following:
    1. WOMANLY RESERVE: In mixed company especially in the presence of strangers, a Hindu woman will keep modestly in the background and not participate freely in conversation. This, of course, does not apply to situations among family and close associates.
    2. WALKING BEHIND ONE'S HUSBAND: The wife walks a step or two behind her husband, or if walking by his side, a step or two back, always giving him the lead. In the West, the reverse of this is often true.3. SERVING AT MEALS: At meals women follow the custom of serving the men first before enjoying their own meal.
    4. CHAPERONING: It is customary for a woman to always be accompanied when she leaves the home. Living alone, too, is unusual.
    5. WOMEN IN PUBLIC: Generally it is improper for women to speak with strangers on the street and especially to strike up a casual conversation. Similarly, drinking alcohol or smoking in public, no matter how innocent, are interpreted as a sign of moral laxity and are not acceptable.
    GUESTS IN THE HOME
    1. HOME VISITS: Close friends can visit one another anytime without being announced or making arrangements first. When they drop in, at least a refreshing drink is always served.
    2. HOSTING GUESTS: Children generally leave the room, with a smile, when guests enter. The mother remains close by to serve as needs arise. The father, if present, will speak with the guest. If he is not present, the mother and a mature son will fulfill this role; and if no son is present, the mother may act as hostess, but only with the accompaniment of someone close to the family.
    3. WIFE HOME ALONE: If the lady of the house is in home alone and a male visitor comes to see her husband, it is not proper for her to invite him in, nor for him to expect to enter. Rather, he will leave a message and depart.
    4. GIVING GIFTS: Gifts are always given when one visits a home or stays overnight as a guest. The value of the gift varies greatly, depending upon circumstances. It is proper to give a separate gift for the wife and the husband. The wife is given the nicest item

2. umasridharan

umasridharan Senior IL'ite

Dear Padma
    Do u really believe in these things?
    uma

3. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

dear Padma.....

all the hindu women that i know are like what you describe....somehow this has to be changed a little bit.

take care
    Huma

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Heloo Padma,
    I dunt think this happens now a days.. that too in this generation....Agree that it happened....

5. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

dear IL friends,

I do agree that at present we are not following strictly all those things . our culture is in our blood and I feel that most of us are traditionaly broguht up by our parents it is not easy to give up all, we did following partially.

padmaiyangar

6. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Padmaji,

Thanks for the post regarding the Role of Women in Hinduism.

I feel some of the roles have to be modified when you are overseas. I am not trying to put down my culture but if I feel more safe here in Oz rather than in India.

Yes the women here drink. Once you tell them it is not in your culture to drink Alcohol, people in Oz go out of their way to make you feel comfy.

Unfortunately Padmaji, I got called a 'Behenji' in an Indian's home when I refused to join in to have Alcohol. Whereas when I declined to attend an Official dinner due to late night & alcohol, my boss assured me I will not be held back & believe me Padmaji, my colleagues were so protective about me, they made sure I was fully supplied with varieties of Fruit juices & vegetarian food.

When I came for a trip to see my family in India, I was surprised by the amount of bars etc.

I don't think anyone follows the rules laid down. Some of them are an anachronism.

My My 2cents of thought.

Regards,

Corallux