1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Risk - A Sequel To Warning Bells

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Nov 24, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Vidya!

Hello Vidya,

It is quite surprising that you have chosen to comment on a banal and unremarkable story, leaving the more remarkable ones without comment.

As a writer once said there is no difference between an essay and a story. Both have the same purpose of conveying some message to the reader.

This story is intended to convey the message of taking risks in life. And the central them of the story as other ILites have already given is that the greatest risk in life is taking no risks. The story conveys this message and the writer's mission is well-accomplished.

Other than that a reader has a fundamental right to find any story of any writer banal or unremarkable. You will be surprised to know that I have readers who have found my story The Promise, too soft to be true and hence unremarkable. And somebody said about The Scar, which got me the very first award from this site, that it is cinematic and not good.

If I find a story banal I normally look into myself. I am always surprised to find some resistance factor inside me which has made me take that subjective view. That way I get the best from reading even banal stories.
    regards,
    sridhar

2. lkodha

lkodha New IL'ite

I fully agree with Vidya, Varalotti!

Hello Mr.Varalotti,
    I have read some of your stories in Tamil mags. I still remember the story thazhumbu you wrote in 1998. I cried for three days reading the story.

Compared to stories like that, this, as Vidya rightly said, is banal and unremarkable.

Now are you going to pounce on me with your strong words, as you did for Vidya?

Please dont mistake me, Varalotti. Don't I have the right to tell that?
    regards,
    Kodha Lakshmi

3. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Relax Sridhar, the criticism is constructive.

I am not saying that this story is bad in itself ( which would be a blanket statement ), all I am saying is that compared to other stories you have written, this one does not quite measure up.

Now is that subjective ? Yes , like all other things in this field of effort, it is based on individual perception and cannot help being subjective to a degree.

Further, the fact that I have not commented on your stories in the past should not reflect on the merit ( or demerit) of this particular piece...would you not agree ?

I also feel that a serious writer ( or any artist for that matter ) cannot avoid critical reviews of their work.
    In fact, I think a writer would prefer to know that people follow his/her work seriously enough to offer a critical review rather than fawning and undiscerning adulation.

But that is my view of a writer. Only you can judge for yourself what kind of a writer you would like to be.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Yes, Vidya, I now realise rather I was too quick to respond to your criticism. When my writings are out on the public domain, you have the right to criticise whether constructive or destructive, there is no point in my flaring up or become overly defensive.

Incidentally, while on this. let me make it clear, that there is nothing called constructive criticism. If an artists work is good, you accept it and appreciate it; otherwise you reject it and condemn it. Having decided to condemn, there is no point in saying, that had the artist paid attention to these, these points his next work would be better. The artist's next work is a different story.

Let me confess, Vidya, The Risk is not a proper short story. In the sense it is built too much on one incident and how people view that from their risk viewpoints. I did not send risk to any magazine. I wrote it just like that. And when we were discussing about the most important aspect of taking risk in life I was reminded of this story and just posted it here.

In that sense your critiscm is justified. But as it has conveyed what its author wanted it to convey, it has done its job.
    But if you compare this with Kalyaanakkolam or Krishna Jeyanthi where there are all the elements of a short story, a beginning middle and end, a conflict and resolution and strong characters to support that scenario, then Risk will not qualify as a short story. But it will have some merit as an edifying essay and it was only in this sense it was posted.

Thanks Vidya for the comments.
    regards,
    sridhar