1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Rekha - Amitabh affair

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Rihana, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How Simi Garewal Got Rekha to Speak About Amitabh Bachchan 10 Years Ago - NDTV Movies

In her 2004 interview with Simi Garewal, Rekha spoke about Amitabh Bachchan at length, admitting that she fell in love with him but insisting there was no affair.

"He was something I'd never seen before. I've never met anyone like him," Rekha said on Rendezvous, "How can so many good qualities be bestowed on one person? I'm not a fool, I'm intelligent or so I'd like to believe. When I see a good thing, I can recognize it."

Asked if she fell in love with Big B while making the 10 films they share, she said, "Absolutely. Duh, that's a dumb question. I have yet to come across a single man, woman, child who can help but fall completely, passionately, insanely, desperately, hopelessly in love with him. So why should I be singled out?
    What do I deny? I'm not in love with him? Of course I am. Duniya bhar ka love aap le lijiyega and add some more - I feel that for that person. Bottomline."

It didn't matter that he was taken. "The fact that he was a married man doesn't make any kind of a difference. A rose is a rose is a rose. A human being is interesting, period. I want to have the honour of being associated with this person so what is stopping me? I'm not here to 'break' his home so to speak. I'm here to be one of the lesser mortals who can just have a whiff of him and feel happy," Rekha, now 61, said on Rendezvous.

Rekha said all the above in the interview, and also that she calls Jaya Bachchan 'Didibhai' (Bengali for elder sister) and that they share a great relationship.

Thoughts?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: The Rekha - Amitah affair

What is this 'fell in love' but 'no affair'?
    There was no affair, so can go on national TV decades later and talk about that love?

And apply a nice touch of 'Didibhai' innocence?

Always found Simi Grewal very "pseudo" and snobbish.

Rekha - classy and oh what beauty. Would it be so hard to maintain a silence on the alleged love? Or, at least present it as a more palatable 'admiration'?

1 person likes this.
  3. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Ha Ha I saw this episode not long ago and was telling my mom recently about it. Rekha lives in her own world and I feel sad for her in some ways. Being daughter of Gemini Ganeshan and being part of the disfunction she calls her family almost guaranteed that she will have dysfunctional issues in her own relationships. In the same show she completely denies her "marriage" to Vinod Mehra too. Simi did not even pretend to hide her disbelief. AB senior in my opinion is the ultimate manipulator and someone as damaged as Rekha or Parveen Bhabi stood no chance. I wont be surprised if he has abused countless other women.

Yeah correct about Simi - tries too hard to sound sophisticated. I think AB is the same with his fake "humility" and convoluted writings as evidenced on blogs.

There was an article that was published in Filmfare in 80's where she is more open about her feelings.

Blast from the Past: Rekha’s Interview about her affair with Amitabh Bachchan – Tanqeed

1 person likes this.