1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Realization

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by maalti, Sep 28, 2021.

1. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Few years ago, I had a severe pain in my heel. After consulting many doctors without any use, my friend referred me to one of the famous orthopaedical doctors. I booked an appointment and went to consult the doctor. He suggested some physiotherapy and prescribed some medicines. I was required to visit the physiotherapist continuously for one week.

I had to wait patiently till my turn came every day. It was during one of the days while waiting for my turn, I met this woman and her daughter (aged about 20 years). They were sitting next to me, waiting to see the doctor. The girl had a fractured right hand and had a sling. The woman was talking to her in a very low tone. I got bored waiting and couldn’t help overhearing what they were talking.

“I don’t know how long you have to be like this” the mom said.

“Even I don’t know ma. He will take Xray and let us know,” said the daughter.

“You have broken your right hand at the most crucial time” the mom said angrily.

“What can I do? The bike came and hit me from behind. There was no space to walk on the platform and I was walking on the road” she replied.

“Your exams start day after tomorrow and campus interview is also to take place after the exams are over. You know how much problems I have faced in my life to bring you up to this level, coping up with your drunkard fit for nothing father” her mother said.

“I can understand ma. But I am helpless” she replied.

By the time my turn came, and I went to take physiotherapy. When I came out, the mother and the daughter had left. Though I wanted to know what the doctor told them, I couldn’t know. I walked to the bus stand. The girl and her mother were standing there, waiting for the bus. A share auto came. I got in. They also got in.

“Now what shall we do? Doctor has told that the sling should be there at least for 8 weeks. You have come first all these years. Now, during this critical final exam, this has happened, and you cannot attend the campus interview also” the woman continued. The girl didn’t open her mouth. There were tears in her eyes.

“Please stop ma. I will write the exam next time and get a good job also. I don’t want you to worry so much” she said. But the woman kept on talking. The girl kept quiet.

At that time, one of the co-passengers who was in his late sixties intervened. “Amma, please don’t mistake me if I give some little advice. From your conversation, I could understand that your daughter is a studious girl. Students, especially those who are very good in their studies have so much pressure from their parents, teachers, and colleges. They are also put to a lot of psychological stress. When unexpected accidents happen like this, we as parents should be supportive to the children. Your daughter is lucky she had suffered a fracture. Just imagine if there is an injury in her head. Let her feel relaxed and spend the 8 weeks in a useful manner. She can write her exams even better and she can also prepare herself for off campus interviews. If she has any other talent like singing, she can spend a few hours developing her talent. Studying well and getting a good job alone is not important. There are so many other things beyond that. Please be kind to the child who is very patient and worries about you more than worrying about her own injury”. Saying so, he got down from the auto.

I saw the woman. Tears were pouring from her eyes. “I am sorry da” she said to her daughter. “After all the sufferings I had undergone in life, I couldn’t think of anything else. This man has opened my eyes. I am sure you could do even better in your next exam” she said and hugged her daughter. I also felt happy that she has realized what is important.

MadhuRK, Rihana, Laks09 and 8 others like this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear @maalti ,
    You seemed to be percipient in any kind of gathering or in queue.
    This beautiful piece of narration and the description of the poignant moment that co-passenger advised the worrying mother appropriately are laudable.
    I enjoyed reading this jotting.

But then am curious to know the cause for heel problem and what kind of treatment employed to get redempted from it.
    God Bless.
    Regards.

maalti likes this.
  3. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Dear Anna,
    Thank you so much for your kind FB.
    The heel pain was caused due to some calcium deposit. It didn't get cured even after getting the physiotherapy. Finally, I learnt an acupressure massage from one of my neighbours. Just press the whole foot with two fingers as soon as we get up in the morning. That did the magic and I got rid of my pain.
    Regards,

Rihana, KashmirFlower and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thank you sister Maalti for the +ve response.
    This acupressure method cured your heel pain that was almost chronic is a message that needs to be disseminated far and wide in Indusladies. You can just post a message about this in health forum which might benefit many and to get better insights .
    Regards.

maalti likes this.
  5. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Sure

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

@maalti
    Your post ibid stands nominated today by our veteran virtual sister @iyerviji .
    Congratulations.
    You seemed to be away from browsing indusladies. exuberance missing. Probably it is no more WFH.
    Thanks and Regards.

maalti likes this.
  7. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Very true Anna. I will catch up during the week end

Thyagarajan likes this.