1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Rainbow of the Setting Sun

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    It is amazing how love can keep the heart young even in a withering body of many a summer. A guy called Dan Trupin broke into poetry at his 92nd year about his wife for 65 years! Listen to this:

Softly, as groping fingers
    Clasp, enmesh, entangle,
    Each into each arthritic palm,
    Unspoken is the affirmation,
    The wordless message transmitted,
    Never to be unsaid.

Amazing indeed is the power of love and even more amazing is its resemblance to a river. At its infancy, it is full of fast moving rapids with the currents strong enough to break even huge rocks. As it gets older and flows smoothly without noise through the plains on its final phase of merging with the sea, it is such a serene sight that poets like Tennyson wax eloquence over it.

The feeling of companionship that love at old age produces is worth waiting for 65 years!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Dear Santosh
    The pleasures of love at old age are as unique as the sight of autumn leaves. It is a pity that one has to wait for over six decades to savour it! But having said that, I must add that the quality of love at old age must be in keeping with the decorum expected of an old person. If it takes the same old pattern that he enjoyed as a young man, then there is certainly the risk being branded as 'one track mind' even at old age!
    The idea of life in reverse gear often engages my thoughts too!
    Thank you for your participation Santosh
    Sri

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear cheeniya sir,

A truly touching post…I have not seen the movie fanny but could imagine the old mans pain….i have seen couples wherein the man has been quite dominating towards his wife through out their life but in the last phase when both of them are the only ones still together very caring and loving towards the wife as if he has realised her true worth only then….it is very touching to see the reversal of roles…(though I am deviating from the topic)

My thatha is nearly 100 now and I lost my paati 5 years back. .she used to be very fun loving, carefree and a movie buff but he a total intellectual, a math professor with his books who has not even taken her for a single movie (she used to go regularly with her friends) a totally mismatched couple I would often say in fun to my paati and enjoy her reaction. She would rush to defend him and when she expired he wrote a poem on her.. The only time I have actually seen the romantic side…it is kept near her picture at his place…must get a copy next time I visit him…

Mindi

1 person likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Dear Mindi
    We must add 'love' to the list of things whose value increases with their antiquity. Most of us think that the existence of love between two individuals must be evidenced by the level of interaction between them. I have come across quite a few couples who love each other very fiercely but in total silence! I still remember an old couple whose love for each other could never be seen outwardly until the lady died. The old man followed her in death in less than thirty minutes. Such was the intensity of bond between them.

Our mind has been conditioned by all the spoken and written stuff about love. Love cannot be typified like that. What constitutes love is a purely personal matter between the lovers. If Laila bore the injuries on her back when Majnu was whiplashed, it cannot be taken as the benchmark of true love. The love that Gandhiji had for Kasturba was not very expressive but when we read his 'My experiment with truth', we can feel the depth of his love.
    Love,indeed, is a strange but a many splendoured thing!
    Sri

5. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear, dear, dear Sri:

This is the best one from you that I have read so far. :thumbsup

And yes of course, you guessed correctly, I am one of the few in this forum who have seen Fanny. I too must have been in my teens when the movie made it to India.

I recall vividly several scenes from the film. The best one in my opinion came towards the end. If I am not totally lost, Chevalier writes out a will when he realizes that he is ready to leave the world. Along with the will, he writes a letter to Hortz Buchholz. And one of the lines in the letter says: Will you please do me the honour of marrying my wife? As he dictates the line to whoever was writing it out for him, the audience smiled and cried at the same time!!

And, though not relevant for your post, I also recall a side character in the movie, played by Charles Boyer. He was the great actor who played Napoleon Bonaparte against Greta Garbo in the film Marie Waleska. You may have seen this film too. In my opinion, that was the greatest portrayal of Napoleon ever. Boyer played an ageing funny person in Fanny. They had quite a collection of old people in Fanny. Friends, who sat together and chatted away at a wayside cafe owned by one of them (I think). They also played pranks on passers by, just like children. Do you recall the one about the brick hidden under a hat? :rotfl

Anyway, coming back to your observations, I am simply fascinated by your viewpoint. The body ages, but quite often the mind does not. The rainbow analogy was profound indeed. I simply want to add that it is not just romance that can flower and I am sure that you too were not talking of romance alone. An old but active mind is like mature wine, the older the better. Personally speaking, I find that my ability to learn has improved with the years. I learn and enjoy new technology. I learn and enjoy new music. I learn about and enjoy life as I have never done before. And I fail to understand why aged people refuse to feel young. If anything, one grows stronger and younger as far as the grey cells go with each passing day.

Coming back to romance, I think you find a totally new perspective to it the older you get. When you ruminate back, you begin to see your past successes and failures, especially the failures, quite differently from the way you did years ago. And women, all women, begin to appear so different, so charmingly beautiful, don't they? The ones that hurt you as well as the ones that didn't.

It's only with age that you finally realize the truth of Zorba's statement about women in Zorba the Greek: They give you everything they've got.

A brilliant piece, once again.

oj

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir

I thank you for writing this excellent piece. The comparisons to rainbow of the setting sun is brilliant.

I have not seen "Fanny" but now it is on my list of movies to see. I have although seen "Bridges of Madison county".

Your post reminded me the lines of a poem I read in school

If you love for the sake of Beauty, O never love me!
    Love the Sun which has bright golden hair.
    If you love for the sake of youth, O never love me!
    Love the spring, which is reborn each year.
    If you love for the sake of wealth, O never love me!
    Love the mermaid whose pearls are rich and clear
    If you love for the sake of love alone, O yes then love me!
    Love me as I love you--forever!

The love between two young persons is fast and furious sometimes ending up in a lot of fireworks. The love between two senior citizens is similar to the weathered wood, their bodies changed in color, texture, and form by having withstood the rough weather conditions in their lives.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

You know how to make people cry, dear friend.And a drop is waiting to drop from eye.touching.

Yes, what u said about the feelings, well age cannot wither it for sure.The body may disintigrate, but not the soul or feelings.

Yes, the greatest thing a person can do is to talk to a lonely eldery person, and know the feeling that person has, how much he has been hurt, and what we can do to assauge those feelings, by our company and some help of any kind.

Regards.kamal

8. Cheeniya

Dear oj
    It is amazing that you remember every frame of one of my most favourite movies, Fanny. I am glad that I can relate to someone in IL who has seen Fanny and loved it as much as I did. Charles Boyer as the hero’s father did an excellent job. Talking of Charles, I recollect my reply to your FB on my thread The Vintage Love. Both of us have discussed bulky heroes there. Charles Boyer was short, balding and had a paunch to boot that made some Hollywood heroines feeling reluctant to be cast against him. But then, when a man is as extraordinarily talented as Charles Boyer, a little paunch and balding head could hardly have any adverse effect. Incidentally, the film in which he portrayed Napolean and teamed with Greta Garbo was Conquest. Mary Waleska was the name of the character that Greta portrayed.

Your comparison of an old and active mind to mature wine is very apt. An old mind is useless unless it is active. The wine too cannot claim a place in a starred cellar merely because it is old. It must be ‘active’ too! I totally agree with you that learning new things as we grow older is a lot more exciting than when learning is mandatory as in youth. Though we say that the process of learning continues till our dying day, it invariably ceases to be of much interest to most of us as the evening darkens into night. But then the choice is ours whether to look forward to the mysteries of the star studded nights or shrink at the thoughts of what would lie in wait for us on the morrow. I too sway to the tunes of AR Rahman much to the delight of my grand children!

My past failures leave me with a smile while the few successes that I had fail to elate me as they did years ago! Zorba is very right about women. I would love to hear Anthony Quin say those, nay spit those, words, ‘They give you everything they have got’!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Usha
    What a fabulous poem that you have quoted! And it fits into the context of the discussion here like a glove!
    Ojaantrik and I have discussed so much about Fanny that I am sure every one would want to see it. It is certainly a 'not to be missed' movie.
    I can say a lot about love at youth having passed that way years ago but to hear someone of your age talk about 'senile' romance is indeed amazing. What a clear vision that you have of what life would be years hence!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Kamal
    I knew all along that beneath your jolly good disposition, you hide emotions that can run very deep. If this post has moved you to tears, what more proof is required to show what a humane person you are?

Age relates to only our skin but as you say, the feelings are the same for every one. Age has nothing to do with it. Perhaps a highly introspective man can literally become a recluse with advancing years but every one else needs a human being to share his feelings. Birds and bees, stars and trees can be a source of joy only when there is someone to share it with
    Sri