1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Rainbow of the Setting Sun

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 14, 2007.

1. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,
    I somehow missed this posting yesterday, my bil is here and of course my beautiful daughter is also here for the weekend...so it does get difficult when i start brwosing having them around me....makes me feel guilty! ha ha....like a kaam chor!
    Very nice writeup, I fully understand what you have tried to share here.....that romantic feelings still exist in all of us, even when we grow older. Also that they should exist or we should keep them ON to feel alive! I agree that these feelings do add spice at any age...and only the one in that age and closer to that can appreciate....i do have a friend here (63 to be precise!) who is like you say, fully appreciating life and enjoying, at the same time feeling that he has not much time left maybe! I fully emphatise with him, but i have heard many who comment on his behaviour behind his back...and i always felt that they are just jealous since they dont have the heart to enjoy life so they complain!

Anyway, i too was thinking of Amitabh, and Nishabd, yet to see that movie....dont know if that is what they have tried to convey!

But great thoughts and i fully emphatise.....will try to get this movie Fanny also!
    ( have to run already hearing complaints!)

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya.......

How can poor me deny your heart' s wishes......So, a toothless 70 shall it be!! After all, it is her spirit and smile that is important.

Let us know when she enthralls you with her smile:-D

L, Kamla

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sathya,

I make it a point to read all your posts. Thanks to your sweet sister for making you join IL. Your poetic posts are refreshing. Keep going at it:)

L, Kamla

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha
    I am one of those who review a book at length after reading only the synopsis on the back cover! Yes, I haven't seen Nishabd yet but I talk more about it than those who have seen it ten times!
    I belong to category 2 of Kambar's description,
    Kandavar vindilar;
    vindavar kandilar!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Hi again Kamla
    I leave it to Solomon Bappiah to judge!
    Which is more enthralling,
    A toothy smile or a toothless smile?
    :) sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Sathya
    Izhappathil ulla sugam?
    Naam izhappathu matravargalukuthan sugam!
    Just think of this..
    If Laila and Majnu got married and had 10 children, would we be talking about them? Avargalin izappai naam anubavithu padithukkondirukkirom innamum!
    Sri

7. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear SIr,

This is one of the most wonderful posts I have read.

I always feel that the love between old couples or between a young and an old person is much more stronger than young love.Young love can attribute its feelings to many other emotions like lust, materialism ,physical etc. But old love is so pure, mature,understanding. Infact with age it only gets better.
    And as far as the factor of attraction or good looks is concerned I personally feel older men look more gorgeous than the youngsters around. Clint Eastwood, Gregory Peck and Amitabh are much more handsome and look more soothing to the eyes and heart than guys decades younger than them. This is from a womans point of view or rather my personal opinion ,Im sure there are many women out there who look very beautiful as they age too but I guess the men can talk about that! I have seen a very high level of understanding and forgiveness in older people than youngsters.

I would say the rainbow of the setting sun is much more beautiful than the rainbow of the rising sun.

Infact Sir in one of the poems called When you look at me I have mentioned about love between elderly people . To quote one line from that,

We've both been blessed with ardency,
    Whats age got to do with fervency?

Love coming from an older person is much more passionate , pure and welcome.

I feel sorry about the old man in the story. He surely deserved to be loved and reciprocated.

Sir .what a wonderful post of yours. Im glad though late by more than a year I still had the privilege to read it.Only you could do justice to such topics Sir and you have done so beautifully.

Love,
    Your mol

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devika Mole,
    Thanks for injecting life to an "old" thread. I say old thread because this post is very charming and very gracious in expressions, as only old can be.

Dear Sri,
    There was a talk by Swami Sukhabhodananda last week on Samskar channel. He was telling, how youngsters make fun of the old people if they hold hands or hug lovingly. He said, that is not because of lust, passion or physical love, but a strong expression of "I care for you".
    The general misconception is love takes a back seat with advancing age.It cannot be more incorrect. With aged people, there is more maturity in thinking, less expectations of material gifts, just unconditional love for one another having "weathered" through happy and unhappy phases in life.It is just like mature wine. (I hope Kamalji does not rush here!:hide:).
    The intensity of feelings in a man or woman do not die at all, so long as he is sane and fairly healthy. The "fire" burns till he or she is reduced to ashes.
    One of your most beautiful, profound, intense and touching posts.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. uncannybal

uncannybal Senior IL'ite

Sir

Women always reprimand young men for their 'one track minds' and then when the man grows up to understand what they meant, life truly begins. Someone once said the ideal situation would be for people to start off old and then gradually become younger as the days go by ! Then they will truly appreciate youth and life itself before its too late !

Santosh
    older the man, deeper the relationship

10. Cheeniya

My dear Mol
    It is said that only a seasoned bamboo produces the most lilting music. When the eflux of Time leaves deep furrows on the face, it is impossible not to warm to that spectacle. How tirelessly we used to gaze at the face of Mother Teresa! The abiding love in their hearts for others always lend a radiance to every wrinkle they are adorned with. As we grow older, the intense desire to love others takes much precedence over the need to be loved which is the hall mark of youth.

I should not be an advocate of a romantic mind at old age for I belong to the category but I can emphatically say that love means a lot more to me now than it ever did in my youth. But the fire is different. It is not the kind of inferno that consumes everything as in youth but is like a slow burning log of wood that keeps us warm during a bitterly wintry night.
    Sri

1 person likes this.